1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota has an EV option!!??!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bear68, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Well, here comes a whole new debate on the EV switch... The interesting thing is the first I have heard of this was in a TV ad. Not that I expect to be given prior knowledge of all that Toyota is up to, but as a tech, it would be nice if they at least dropped us a hint. :huh:

Whether or not an EV switch will be added to the new Prius, I have no clue. The last information I had from Toyota was that EV switches void the warranty on the HV system on US Prii. I have heard arguements that "Since the addition of an EV switch works, the software is already in place and therefore should have no negative effects." Toyota's official line was to disagree. Now they have installed the very same switch on the Highlader Hybrid. :blink:

I would caution, however, that without knowing the software programming differences between the Prius and the Highlander, you might still want to avoid adding an EV switch. I don't know the politics behind the decision to add this option, so my intention is to simply keep doing my job and let the more confused minds figure out the policy making. :rolleyes:

I remain, as always, ready to offer advice and assistance to any and all who might ask for it. B)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new LS600h L also has the EV button.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Top EV speed apparently limited to 25mph (like the EU & Japanese EV button for Prius). 34mph is the top speed for the modded US Prius.

4. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 10 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]537820[/snapback]</div>

anyone ever honestly asked a dealership if they can add it and keep there warrenty before anything went wrong:

5. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 10 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]537829[/snapback]</div>
    I work at a dealership and I have spoken with Toyota's technical assistance representatives, (the guys who teach the Toyota technical classes and help us solve the really tricky issues) I have been told repeatedly that if someone installs any sort of mod or switch which changes the operation of the HV system (i.e. EV switch ) VOIDS the factory warranty on the HV system as a whole. That would include the HV ECU, the HV battery and the HV Battery ECU.

I don't claim to be any sort of authority or representative of Toyota. I am simply a tech who seriously likes Hybrid systems and I get an ego boost from being able to offer advice and information to help out Hybrid owners. I would still advise against modifying the HV system on ANY Hybrid vehicle. Whatever the reason, modifications on an HV system can be dangerous and cause premature failure.

If you aren't 100% positive of what you are doing, DON'T DO IT!! The High Voltage can KILL YOU!

...... and yes, I am aware that the installation of an EV switch does not involve the HV cables, battery or invertor.

My concern is.... what will the next popular mod involve?

6. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bear68 @ Nov 10 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]537838[/snapback]</div>

just to be absolutely clear have the Toyota techs specifically mentioned the EV button

and by EV button i mean the factory one that comes with the japanese/euro versions (not the cruise control version)

7. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 11 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]537990[/snapback]</div>
    I specifically asked them about the Coastal mod (added in by way of the cruise control, high beam flash or by installing a momentary switch such as from Radio Shack or bought from overseas to imitate the operation of the non US Prius which have the factory EV switch) the Toyota standpoint is that any sort of modification which affects the operation of the HV system voids the warranty.
    I have seen photos on the web where some people have bought the actual factory EV switch from overseas. The thing is there is no provision in the US wiring harness for this switch. Those who install this switch and tap into the factory wiring harness have asked how they can get the illumination portion to work normally. So far, I have seen no way to make it operate the same way as the overseas Prius since the wiring and the ECU software are different.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Nov 10 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]537829[/snapback]</div>
    There has been at least one documented case of a PC member having warranty problems from having an EV switch. After negotiation, Toyota agreed to honor the warranty as long as he removed the EV switch. I wouldn't want to count on that working every time.

Tom

9. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bear68 @ Nov 11 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]538017[/snapback]</div>

very interesting thanks for answering

I wasnt aware the wiring was also different I was under the impression the US prius had everything but the actual button, thanks for clearing that up

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unquestionably, on the Prius, the any EV mod is done "at your own risk"...I was one of the first to have one, I don't think it can/would cause any problems, but fully accept that if it does or even if it doesn't but Toyota wants to be a PITA about it that I may have to pay for the repairs out of my own pocket.
    I wrote the original DIY article for the EV mod and in that first one I warned that it may void the warranty and I still reiterate that today. I'd do it again, myself, but I don't want anyone to do it unless they're fully prepared to shoulder the $5000 cost of a new battery or $3000 ECU or $2000 Inverter themselves....it's simply not worth it. The benefits don't justify the risk if you can't afford that kind of cost.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bear68 @ Nov 11 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]538017[/snapback]</div>
    The ECU software is not different, but you can't illuminate b/c there's not a place for it on the dash. You can still obtain the signal for EV mode being enabled from the CAN network however. With my CAN-View it displays when EV mode is active, when it deactivates, etc.

The wiring harness is essentially the same, they simply left the wires out of the US Prius. It's a simple momentary ground to Pin 27 in the HV ECU.