1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota has to catch GM in '06 or '07

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Jan 8, 2006.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Malorn, I have worked hard to stay out of all back-and-forth you enjoy with other posters. But I'm going to be blunt here. We get it. You love GM. We understand that. You have no further need to shout it, flaunt it, or parade it. No additional threads celebrating this fact is required.

I don't think any American citizen prays for the day when tens of thousands of fellow Americans lose their jobs. I don't think anyone here really prays for the utter demise of GM or Ford.

Furthermore, I for one am tired of the ongoing rants and raves you endlessly initiate for the sole purpose of reminding us all that you still exist. I promise to stay off GM internet boards. I swear that I will never post a single reply on a Hummer website promoting Toyota. And you can rest assured that the only postings I will make regarding Ford vehicles will be limited exclusively to hybrids. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that many of us would appreciate a similar level of reciprocation.

3. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    TonyPSchaefer:

I can not wait to shake your hand. You could not have articulated that better.

AMEN

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tony I am just frustrated. Google 'Toyota to pass GM' and see how many articles you come up with. Hundreds in the last month and none of them are even accurate. Toyota would have to sell over a million more vehicles in 2006 to pass GM and that is realistically impossible. So American consumers including myself, have been bombarded with a bunch of crap that isn't even true(shocking isn't it). I can't go anywhere without someone asking me about 'how bad' the situation is with GM. Many people think they are not selling any vehicles anymore.

My original post on here was about Toyota being the 'green' car company just because they are building the Prius. I do appreciate the Prius, it looks as though it is a great, fuel-efficient little car. I don't understand why the Prius gives Toyota a free-pass when it comes to the rest of their business plan. Their model mix has shifted dramatically towards low mpg trucks and suvs over the last 8-10 years and yet they are still 'green'.

I don't post frequently, but when I see a topic of interest(usually relating to GM or ford) I often post several replies. I don't consider an alternative viewpoint as coming from a 'troll'. At one point I was going to quit posting because I was 'offending' people but several PCer's e-mailled me and said they valued my viewpoint and not to stop.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    considering that gm has sold no where near a million vehicles in 2006, i would have to say that what you said is (like just about everything you say) is a lie.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let me clarify. In 2005 Toyota sold approx 8.1 million vehicles and GM sold 9.2 million, so toyota would have to sell 1 million more vehicles to catch GM. It is impossible, and I have read about it as a foregone conclusion for a month now.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oic...forget that expected sales for Toyota in '06 is just 140,000 units less than gm's 05 total. either way, i doubt your ability to predict sales for gm.

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I see it, anyone who idolizes the two goons from Sideways cannot have much going for them. The one guy was a liar, cheater and even stole from his own mother. The other guy was a felling sorry for himself loser who put up with his friends horrible behavior.

Let him buy the cars he wants and leave us alone to enjoy ours. GM and Ford are still in deep trouble and will have to take major hits to survive. As most of us have stated, if American companies made cars that met our needs and were as reliable as Toyota, Nissan and Honda we would buy them.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your totals are way off. Only a million off.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For goodness sake.

Toyota's one company with 3 divisions - Toyota, Lexus and Scion (ok, Hino and Daihatsu if you wanna be picky).

GM has how many?
    Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile (oh oops, that's dead), GMC, Saturn, Holden, Opel/Vauxhall, GMDAT, Saab, Hummer.

How many cars are carbon copies of one another?

9-7X/Trailblazer
    Sunfire/Cavalier/Cimarron
    Cobalt/Pursuit
    Uplander/SV6/Relay/Terraza
    Torrent/Equinox
    GMC/Chevy Suburban/Yukon Denali/Escalade ESV
    GTO 5.6/Monaro
    Catera/Omega
    Tahoe/Envoy/Escalade
    Epica/Verona/Leganza
    Optra/Nubria
    Wave/Aveo/Lanos
    Canyon/Colorado
    Silverado/Sierra
    Savanna/Express
    Avalanche/Escalade EXT

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All major manufacturers build off the same platform.

Two Toyota examples which come to mind:

Camry/ Lexus ES330
    Avalon/Lexus GS300

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well said, TonyPSchaefer. Well said.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, I realise that and it also saves money. But in GM's case, they're pretty much identical. In Toyota's case, the chassis and engine maybe the same but they look different. Take VW's case. The Passat/Jetta/Golf are on the same platform (back then anyway) but they looked different and are totally different vehicles.

And by the way, the Avalon doesn't use the GS' platform, it uses the Camry.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

i dont think so. normally i back up what i say by also providing my logic. the reason i didnt in your response is because i learned a long time ago that logic doesnt work with you.

but gm sold 9.2 million vehicles in 2005 (first time over 9 million in 27 years btw) Toyota is projected to sell 9.06 million or 140,000 less than gm's total. i can easily believe that Toyota will sell 9.06 million vehicles since its only a modest increase of 2005's total. at the same time, i find it difficult to believe that gm will be able to sell that many vehicles again like they did last year. if they did manage 9 million, then it would be for the 2nd time in 28 years.

but as i said, even if i had provided this line of reasoning (albeit, its my own, and it maybe waaay off) but at least i provide some reasoning...

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It would take over a 10% increase in worldwide sales for toyota to reach 9 million in 2006. That is still 140,000 less if GM does not increase sales worldwide which they have done the last couple of years and GM is really hot in Europe and China.

16. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

You're the man, Tony.

17. LaughingMan

Wrong. Toyota isn't a green company *JUST* because they build the Prius. That is only one small facet.

You're not a troll when you express an alternative viewpoint. You're a troll when you hijack threads like you do quite frequently.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I only get involved in threads when I see pc'ers chatting about GM or Ford in way s that are not even close to true or in a overly-derogatory tone. As for this thread I started it, so it would be hard to say I hijacked it. The only forum that I really ever post in is Fred's house of Pancakes. I leave all the other forums to the rest of you PC'ers. Is that ok with you Laughingman?

19. LaughingMan

my point wasn't about this thread. you asserted that you were never a troll because expressing an alternative viewpoint isn't trolling... but you have definitely hijacked completely unrelated threads where none of us were talking about GM or Ford in the past just to beat your chest.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't remember doing that, but if I did, I apologize. i will try to keep it in Fred's house of Pancakes, and the auto industry or politics. I am not the only one who ever beats his chest on here, am I?