1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota heat sheilds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kayemarschke2, May 4, 2007.

1. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

I got one for my car. Am I the only one that thinks they are a pain in the butt to deal with in a small car. My goodness my passengers feels mugged when I put it in or take it out. Couldn't they make an easier less bulky windshield cover???

2. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, they are a pain in the butt. That said, they cover a large area of glass in a mid-size car. Personally I like the large window and I want to do what I can to protect the interior from excess heat and UV damage, so I put up with the huge piece of aluminized plastic. I like the way that it rolls up and stores in the area behind the rear seats.

The way I deal with passengers - if they want to sit in the front they're going to have to wait until I get the sunscreen out of the way before they get in the car. Otherwise, they can deal with the kids' booster seats in the back...

3. justifyd

justifyd New Member

1. It's hardly a small car. Small for a mid-size, perhaps, but it is proportioned very well and swallows four adults and their stuff quite nicely and comfortably.

2. The windshield is HUGE. If you want a sunshade that will cover it, the sunshade will likewise be huge. I suppose it might be possible to design a folding shade that is a little more compact when closed, but I'd have to wonder about its long-term ability to support itself while open. The rolled design is ideal in terms of self-supporting structure; it just doesn't compact as well.

- Justifyd

4. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

I have to use mine white side out as I don't want to burn my tint. Do any of you have your windsheild tinted?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no, mine isn't tinted and it's illegal in my area to have it tinted (except the top 2 inches I believe).

If it's white side up, it won't be as effective as silver side up.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 4 2007, 11:43 PM) [snapback]435913[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, white can be more effective than the metallized side. That's why the Kit Peak solar telescope is painted white, not plated shiny. An uncoated shiny aluminum surface absorbs about 20% of the energy striking it. A white surface can be made to absorb only about 10%, although not all perform that well. Titanium oxide paint seems to work best. A properly coated (multilayer - as in lenses) reflecting aluminum surface can be made to absorb only about 1-2%. But that's very expensive. ;)

As for "burning" the tinting, are you sure this will happen? I would think the white side of the shade would act the same as the shiny side, for the above reason. It may actually be the trapped thin layer of air between the shade and the windshield that heats up too much for the tinting, and that should happen with either the white or reflective side, but may actually be worse with the shiny side for the above reason. Perhaps a row of holes along the bottom and top to allow air to circulate would help as well.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

Thats why I don't use any of mine anymore. I have a complete set, front, back and all side windows.