1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota hybrids in Thailand

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by priusenvy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm in Thailand right now. As far as I can tell, Toyota doesn't import any hybrids into Thailand (Bangkok air pollution could certainly benefit from them), but apparently they don't have any pesky agencies like DOT, NHTSA, or EPA to prevent grey-market imports. Here is a company I found on Ratchadapisek Road that imports Toyota models not sold by Toyota Thailand.

The two minivans are the Alphard and Estima. The Estima looks a lot smaller from the outside than it is, maybe because it is not tall it looks to be close to the same size as a Matrix. It really looks too small for a third row of seats but apparently it does have them. The Alphard looks like a much larger vehicle.

Attached Files:

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]
    I love the reflection the Prius casts in the window! :lol:

Seriously, bring on the Estima. I know there are quite a few American families interested in a hybrid minivan.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. semi-electric car.. that's the first time I've heard of that!

Yeah the Alphard is the more luxurious of the two (Alphard/Estima)

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 26 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]485929[/snapback]</div>
    Are they advertising 79mpg on the Prius? Why isn't everything written in Thai? Is it snob appeal or is there a practical reason?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 26 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]485929[/snapback]</div>
    Just realised... that's a really nice clean bodykit on the Prius!

Edit: The RX also has a bodykit.. is that a selling point or something? Also the Prius has the signal mirrors.

6. Errel

Errel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jul 26 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]485926[/snapback]</div>
    I will sell my Sienna if they will sell a minivan hybrid here in the US. I guess I have to wait a few more years. :(

7. Errel

Errel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jul 26 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]485926[/snapback]</div>
    I will sell my 06 Sienna if they will sell a minivan hybrid here in the US. I guess I have to wait a few more years. :(
    I wonder if the hybrid's price is competitive just like the Prius here in the us. ;)

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, they've even got neon signs in the windows touting the models.
    WHEN is Toyota going to jump through the hoops and bring those to
    the US already?! WHEN??!?! What the F are they thinking by not
    catering to the HUGE market these vehicles would enjoy here?? It's
    not like they couldn't do the necessary emissions/safety adaptation
    for US standards -- Toyota can clearly do that in their sleep by now.
    _H*

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think they realize that the Estima would only attract a small niche audience, as the Estima is significantly smaller than the Sienna, and smaller than the size that most American minivan buyers expect and require.

Better to wait a year or two and bring the right vehicle to market than bring in a temporary stop-gap model that only has limited appeal, and might alienate/confuse buyers when the Sienna is brought in a short time later.

10. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Sep 3 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]506008[/snapback]</div>
    O.M.G., the Previas/Estima are huge to my eyes! How large a van do you guys really need! (I hesitate even to call them minivans). I suppose carpooling has really taken off and you take 7-8 others to work with you on the daily commute? Otherwise, its hard for me to imagine a Previa not being more than ample for most families. :lol:

They have been around here for many years and are perhaps the most popular peoplemovers on the road, so I'm not sure Toyota would ever view them as a stopgap. B)

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Sep 2 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]506017[/snapback]</div>
    Most Americans are morbidly obese due to eating super-sized high-fat high-sodium meals at fast food restaurants such as McDonalds. The Siena sold in the USA is a foot longer and seven inches wider than the Estima, and the extra size is needed to cart around your typical fat-assed American.

I meant stopgap for the USA. When Toyota rushed to bring minivans to the US market before with their models designed for the Japanese market in the mid-80s (that narrow, mid-engined thing), rather than models designed specifically for the US market, they probably set themselves back a few years. There were a lot of dissatisfied owners and their reputation was damaged.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Sep 2 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]506017[/snapback]</div>
    lol... You should see our current crop of "minivans". The Honda Odyssey (different from the JDM Odyssey), Nissan Quest and Toyota Sienna. You can probably fit the first generation of all 3 minivans in their current form lol.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stopgap? "Right size"?? Do you have ANY idea how many PT Cruisers
    are RIGHT NOW being used as work-trucks? Don't hand me that.
    _H*

14. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 3 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]506596[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, PT Cruisers look big on the outside but are tiny on the inside. I think Toyota should make all models availiable here...

15. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Alphard and Estima kind of look like Mazda 5's.

16. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 3 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]506360[/snapback]</div>
    I just got back from a business trip to Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Shenzhen. Saw one Prius the whole time, in HK. Saw hundreds of the JDM Odyssey's, and really like the size of them. I think the Toyota Picnic is the competition and that also looks like a great sized car that seats 6. I don't understand why Toyota won't hybridize something like the Picnic, an already existing model, bring it to the West and kick some butt.

17. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Are those side marker lights on the fenders of the Prius? Hard to tell with the graphics.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ Sep 24 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]517178[/snapback]</div>
    yes they are