1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota in NASCAR = Rise in Anti-Japanese Sentiment

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Arroyo, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CULTURAL LEARNINGS OF AMERICA

March 4, 2007

In 1982, Vincent Chin, a Chinese American groom-to-be became a victim of anti-Japanese auto industry sentiment when two laid-off autoworkers in Detroit killed him after mistakenly identifying him as being Japanese. Around that same time, we saw media coverage of some autoworkers in Michigan venting their frustrations against the Japanese auto industry by taking a sledge hammer to a Toyota.

As Toyota approaches the prospect of becoming the number one automotive manufacturer, they are being careful not to repeat that sentiment. The company has been careful not to gloat over its success. One family member of the Toyota family has even stated that being number one is not important.

To Toyota's dismay, its foray into NASCAR seems to have triggered a new wave of anti-Japanese and specifically anti-Toyota sentiment. "Just think about how our troops will be demoralized if something Japanese makes a good showing. It would be like finding 'Honda' in huge neon lights on the Washington monument or finding sushi on the menu at Denny's, writes Capt. Fogg on his Human Voices blog.

"References to Pearl Harbor intermingled with 'Jap' are scattered throughout several anti-Toyota blogs and Websites, reports Caroline Aoyagi-Stom of the Pacific Citizen: "I mean first, Pearl Harbor, then baseball, and now this! ...they don't belong in NASCAR"; "I ain't gonna sit back and see them Japs taking this place over, they bombed us let's bomb them."

One General Motors employee has posted a Website to serve as a forum for anti-Toyota NASCAR fans: Fans Against Racing Toyotas, or F.A.R.T. Founder Bill Bagwell asserts, however, that he is falsely accused of being racist. "I'm not against the Japanese or Asian people. It's about the deep pockets of Toyota and the loyalty of people," says Bagwell.

The Pacific Citizen's Storm says, "Much of the arguments behind the anti-Toyota movement stems from the concept of foreigners being unwelcome... Yet, when Dodge recently made its way back to NASCAR after a 16 year absence, the company was welcomed with open arms, even though Dodge is owned by DaimlerChrysler, a German car company.

Certainly, not all NASCAR fans share this sentiment. Even Bagwell has posted opposing viewpoints on his blog. Most recently, Fans Against Racing Toyotas has posted the comments of USMC Rob Knoll, who states:

"A Miami Herald article said that Toyota was underhanded because it lured drivers from other teams. What do you expect them to do? Companies have been doing that for ages. ...The Camry is the only NASCAR Cup car built in the United States. The Ford Fusion is built in Mexico, and the Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Monte Carlo are built in Canada." I think Toyota is doing a little more for the country and sport than you've given them credited for."

"In short, the world is now a global market place. With ever shrinking paychecks, people are trying to get the most for their dollar. I know I am," says Knoll. "I am a proud American who has deployed to Iraq twice for our country so I think my support speaks for itself. I worked at Ground Zero two days after the attack and banded together with other Americans as we all mourned the tragedy. That is the true fabric of America, not what brand of car we drive. When it comes to expanding the sport I love, and it involves the inclusion of a company that supports Americans like Toyota, I'm all for it."

- Back Seat Driving, LA CAR

2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arroyo @ Mar 4 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]400107[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting article.Funny that the Camry is the only American made Nascar.
    Those racist Nascar fans think Japanese are bad but have no idea who actually owns American companies.
    I had heard rumors 20 years ago that Mercedes was half owned by Saudis.
    Now that Chrysler is for sale , Carlyle Group is one potential buyer.Arent they the the company affiliated with Bush sr and Saudi investors.
    I havent found any info on the web about the extent of foreign ownership of stock in the American auto industry,but my guess is that its a huge percentage.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I guess if you're living in your own world (aka USA), you tend to dislike foreigners.. which is kinda weird.. cause we're all foreigners to the native people who live here!!

There will always be close-minded and stubborn people. That's a fact and there's no point trying to change it because it'll result in conflict.

Yes the Japanese did bomb Pearl Harbor and it wasn't exactly good on their part but what part of bombing Iraq is better than Pearl Harbor?