1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota-installed Cat Converter Cover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MukiEX, Nov 13, 2020.

1. MukiEX

MukiEX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So, woke up on Wednesday morning to my car making a motorcycle noise, and found threads here and elsewhere that amounted to "your catalytic converter was most likely stolen". Looked around at the price of replacement (yikes) and found articles about the Cat Security CCM guard.

So, after talking to a Toyota service center I asked about adding a theft guard, and they mentioned a cover that's ~$600 parts and labor to have installed, but that it wasn't the same as the CCM.

I don't mind the price (and yes, I know that's basically 4x what the Cat CCM costs online), but I would mind if it was less effective at preventing theft. Has anyone here gone with Toyota's solution? I guess while I'm asking, if anyone knows, has that CCM guard been effective at preventing additional thefts?

2. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe that the Toyota-endorsed device is the Miller CatShield. I installed one on my 2015 Prius. I think the price was $160.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Though a cover may be an effective deterrent for some situations or locales, there have been stories here of them being cut off as well.

If you're installing an aftermarket replacement cat, then it would be best to leave it exposed for the thieves to see and hopefully pass on.

There are DIY threads here, with various cat shields that appear more effective than the over the counter options, but nothing is perfect