1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota IQs spotted on Mulholland Drive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by subarutoo, May 27, 2010.

1. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While driving over Mulholland this afternoon, (showing my wife the Tour of California Bike race final stage), I spotted what looked like a couple of silver prototype Toyotas coming the other way. They were going too fast to get a good look at. I continued on up the hill, and suddenly they were behind me, following up to the summit. I pulled over to let them pass (and get a better look at them). They flew past, followed by a Nissan Sentra ( I think). I couldn't reach my camera fast enough to get a passing shot. Continuing up the hill, I found them parked at the summit doing driver changes. They turned out to be two new Toyota IQs. Oddly, one had logos and model names taped over, and even had the wheel caps removed where Toyota logos, would have been. the other had all the logos and trim in place for all to see. I got a few quick shots, and a quick glance inside while they were swtiching drivers. I asked one of the drivers whether they were 2 or 4 seaters, and he said 3 + 1 (?). I asked him about any hybrid plans, and he replied "I don't think so". I asked him how far they were from production, and he said "next year". The guys weren't real chatty, otherwise. There were 3 Honda S2000 and drivers there too, and several of them had their cameras out.

I thought the IQ was really cool. My Prius is too much car for 95% of my needs. I would love to have a more sensible package, and the IQ looks just right. I have seen photos in magazines, but in person, I thought the IQ was really cool. According to Road & Track, the JDM model they tested is rated at 50-54 mpg! That would certainly work for me. My only problem, is getting my bike into the rear hatch area. Even the rear door looks too small to put the bike thru. Certainly, the wheels would have to come off. I really dislike bike racks, and that is the main reason I got the Prius. There were no other hatchbacks available at Prius MPGs.

I couldn't get a look inside, or any interior pictures. The Sentra may have been along for benchmark comparisons. All the cars had Michigan MFR plates, so it may have been a test by other manufacturers to evaluate the coming competition. Notice the front bumper, it has the wide euro-type plate indent. The cars could have ben euro models bought for comparison. Anyway, it was a cool discovery. The IQ is bigger than a Smart, smaller than a Mini, and IMO, better looking than either, including the Prius. Here's a few "spy" photos.

Attached Files:

• IQ3.jpg
      IQ3.jpg
      File size:
      272.1 KB
      Views:
    • IQ4.jpg
      IQ4.jpg
      File size:
      197.3 KB
      Views:
    • IQ1.jpg
      IQ1.jpg
      File size:
      205.4 KB
      Views:
    • IQ2.jpg
      IQ2.jpg
      File size:
      267.3 KB
      Views:
    7 people like this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think the iQ is cute. I'd like to see more of them on the road.

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's probably a road test result. For a proper comparison you need to look at repeatable dyno testing.

The 1.33L iQ 6-speed manual gets 58.9mpg (Imperial gallon) on the EU standard test, compared to the Prius at 72.4mpg. The 5-speed 'multi-drive' automatic gets 55.3mpg. The UK Prius is identical, mechanically, to the US one - the test is just much weaker.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyota USA stick a larger engine in there because the acceleration times aren't that quick: 13.4s 0-100km/h (62mph) for the 6-speed manual and 13.1s for the automatic (Prius: 10.4s).

The most efficient iQs are the 1.0L 5-speed manual at 65.7mpg but 0-62 takes 14.7 seconds.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting... they have Michigan plates. I thought iQ is coming over as Scion, not Toyota.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's with the talk to the mothership orbiting beyond Neptune attenae? Seems like they had regular attenae and then these monsters....

6. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Michigan is where our main technical center is located. Almost all of our prototypes that are in road-testing phase have Michigan plates. They drive all over the country. That's what was seen.

If someone is roaming Torrance right now, for example, they may see something else with Michigan plates that would intrigue PCers. ;)

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

4 people like this.
  7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I assume you are referring to PHV Prius. A PC member spy should go check it out. :)

8. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nope.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Being the eternal optomist, I take this to mean no time to waste making a hybrid I.Q. ... no, they're going straight to EV production!
    :rockon:

See?
    :rockon:

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Hill, it's your job to find out ;) :D:D haha

oooh... a Prius Alpha in the flesh? or an Estima Hybrid??

It's a 3+1 layout because the seat behind the driver's seat is only good enough for a small child. On the passenger side, the front seat can be moved forward to create enough room for an adult to sit behind it hence the "3+1" label. There is no glovebox, just a pouch and there are great innovations in this iQ that will make its way into other small cars such as a ultra-compact A/C compressor and flat fuel tank to maximise space.

There isn't enough room behind the back seats for anything other than groceries. Your head is close enough to the rear window that Toyota has installed a rear airbag in case of a rear-impact. Most would probably keep the rear seats folded and use it as an XL smart lol.

Those wheels are the top model 16" alloys and like Mike said, they most likely have the 1.33 litre engine (it's in the same family as the engine that will go into the new Yaris...).

Oh and that's a Nissan Versa in the background.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You honestly think the IQ is better looking than a MINI?!? LOL. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

The problem with the IQ and Smart Car is that if you get rear ended pretty badly, you will be crushed to death instantly. The MINI actually has an incredibly strong frame, that can withstand impacts much better. In fact, a guy in a MINI recently T-boned a family at 50mph in a minivan and killed them all. The driver survived but died because he wasnt wearing his seatbelt.

A family member of mine was rear ended in his MINI at 70 mph on the freeway when he/she was at a full stop in traffic. Anyone in the back seats wouldve died but luckily nobody was in the car as the back seats were crushed. But my family member is alive and well and with us today.

You think the IQ could take all that? I dont think so.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I wonder what the situation would have been without Tesla putting its electric vehicle into production and on the road.

13. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In Orange County, I have seen numerous different cars on the roads before their official release, and they've all had Michigan plates on them. I remember one time, I was driving along side them, taking pics and they guys covered their faces. haha. (I don't remember what car - it was about 3 years ago) My most-recent sighting was the BMW 1-series about six months before they showed up on dealer lots. Most of the cars I've seen have been American manufacturers.

Toyota versus Scion: Maybe the iQ with the tape over it has Scion emblems. It would seem odd that they would cover one up with tape all over yet the other one had no tape - so have a strong reason to believe something was going on with those emblems. And, if Nissan were testing it, I don't see why they would be concerned with covering the emblems. I'm guessing the Nissan was there just to be a decoy, so that people wouldn't see a full-Toyota fleet. At the same time, I would think that all R&D teams regularly operate their competitors' products.

Once all the full-size SUVs end up in the landfills, junkyards, and recycling centers, rear-impacts shouldn't be a problem. If all passenger vehicles on the road were small and midsize, fatalities would be reduced significantly. Now if we can just get gasoline up to $5/gallon and seal the coffins of the full-size SUVs.

(FYI, crude oil surged from $68 back up to $75 today - pump prices should stabilize where they currently are, and if oil continues to rise, gas pump prices will go up - they are not going further lower. NOAA released a report today that this year's hurricane season could rival the Katrina 2005 hurricane searson; shutting down hundreds of gulf oil rigs. Added to that, Obama today suspended all oil drilling for the next 12 months, including Alaska, until further studies can be performed. Alaska had a big project planned - now it's on hold for 12 months. All of this together on the same day, today, is what caused oil prices to surge back up)

14. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This IQ is really fun to drive, I have test drive it :)
    About couple weeks ago it was in local ECO race with 1 litre engine model and get 642km with 3.479l/100km consumption. Race was in normal traffic with all kind off terrain.
    Problem is that this car is very small from inside, I think it is just too small for my purposes. But it is feel like it is superb in heavy traffic city.

15. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A few days ago I saw a red Tesla on the same road. It appeared to be a regular production version, i.e., no disguises or special equipment visible.

16. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EuroNCAP results.

Note that the iQ got five stars while the Chevy Spark got four and the Suzuki Alto three.

The list of comparable cars is quite short as the testing scheme changed in 2009 - becoming much tougher - and they're trying to avoid comparisons across different schemes.

17. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    An iQ-EV would work for me depending on price, head/leg-room, range and top speed. Oh, and feel free to rip out the rear seats and replace with cargo floor...batteries under the deck. I need a daily commuter for a 40mile RT commute (mixed city/hwy) plus enough juice left over for after-work NEV range shopping, etc. I would keep the Prius for long-distance travel.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The one with Toyota badge has a black wire going from the hood around A pillar to the trunk. Don't tell me it is the iQ EV caught testing.

20. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a Japanese 'Yellow Plate' car. They have a registration scheme, signified by a yellow license plate, for small cars with limited seating and engine displacement that are much cheaper to register and re-certify(Shaken, every two years). Very common vehicle over there. Easy to park, cheap to operate and maintain, and easy to maneuver through the narrow side streets. Before you can register a car you have to provide proof of a place to keep it. As most residences have small footprints, the smaller car is easier to provide for. All parking is at a premium.

As to the 3+1 seating, the Japanese have legal limits as to the number of adults that can occupy a car while in motion, depending on the type of vehicle. Whenever we were traveling with my wife's 2 sisters in their yellow plate Daihatsu, my wife had to constantly scrunch down to look like a kid(at 5', not hard).