1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Losing Hybrid Market Share - Oh really?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I still like to listen to Autoline Daily podcast but their anti-Toyota and anti-hybrid bias sometimes leads them to not reporting but editorializing:
    Source: AD #1286 – 2013 Hybrid Sales Breakdown, Age Limit on Infotainment, 2014 Nissan Rogue – Autoline Daily

Hummm, not a peep about the Volt. In reality, 'mild hybrids' have always looked like 'start-stop' technology. Someone in GM had tried to make a silk purse out of their stop-start system. But to treat the Volt is such disdain . . .

So hybrids have a 13.3% growth versus 7.5% for all vehicles yet they only see Toyota going from 3/4ths down to 2/3ds of the market and this is the title of their article? Someone really has a vendetta against Toyota. But there is one interesting math problem.

They report '489,000' hybrids with Toyota '. . . with almost 68% of the market', which gives:
    • 489,000 - total hybrids
    • 332,520 - Toyota and Lexus hybrids
    • 156,480 - all other hybrids (hummm, didn't we see something about this?)
    Source: "Other cars, diesels" the new home of the original post

Understand, I'm sanguine about seeing this in news reports . . . I've owned a Prius since October 2005. We got the car keys and immediately the reality of owning a Prius met the automotive press.

Bob Wilson

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I may just be me but 68% of 113.3% is MORE than73% of 100%

but what do I know.

If you were serious, you would compare the % of second Toyota Hybrids to second Hybrids by other vendors, do you could judge how well owners liked their hybrids.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Over the past decade and longer, Toyota has establish an enviable reputation for reliability and service with the Prius and other hybrid models.

When replacement batteries were not available during the Tsunami, my friend got a "free" rental for 6 weeks, when her 207 Prius was laid up.

Toyota routinely gives discounts for "out of warranty" battery replacements.

A battery replacement could be had for less than $4k.

Lets see how the others handle these matters. Hyundai does off "lifetime" warranties on their batteries. Then, again, they sell a lot fewer hybrids than Toyota.

When people mention hybrids, they still think of "Prius."

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    'It bleeds, it leads'. They are going to go with what generates to most page clicks. The hybrid market grew. Toyota's percentage share of that market dropped. Which will likely change once the next gen Prius comes out.

They stated not going into plug ins and EVs. The Volt is a plug in. Thus no mention about it.

5. Jack Van Fossen

Jack Van Fossen New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm, curious--not that this is the appropriate forum for this subject--Now that Toyota has announced they will be putting a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle on the market by 2015. How will this impact hybrid sales? Oh, the starting price is around $50K.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Last year hybrids sold 495K units in the US, plug-ins 96K units, and these numbers are growing. I would expect in 2014-2018 fuel cells selling at less than 30K units a year in the US. In percentage terms fuel cells should not impact hybrids much at all in the next 4 years. After that lets see what they come up with on these fuel cell vehicles.

7. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you are correct, not anything about the Volt being mentioned.

DBCassidy

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #1 How 'around' $50K is 'around' . . . . maybe $55k ??? What if it's nicely optioned.
    #2 Who amoung joe average has (even) $50K for their car.
    #3 With only a hand-full of hydrogen stations in the entire nation (they ain't building any around any of the 5 cities I drive through each day) - would YOU buy a hydrogen car? At least with pure EV's you can usually charge at home or at work or somewhere along the way. But hydrogen?

With that being just a few of those minor points, I doubt hydrogen will be putting any dents in hybrid sales.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am not one to hold technology back, in fact I embrace full heartily, however I predict the Hydrogen Car is just going to be another "California Only" car for the affluent for many years...but hope I'm wrong.

bwilson4web likes this.