1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota marketing chief, responsible for shift to small cars and Lexus, hired by Ford.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota's top marketing chief, who convinced Toyota to shift to small cars and pushed executives to bring Scion to market, and was also head of Lexus marketing, was just snatched away by Ford to become Ford's new marketing chief. He's hiring a league of former contacts underneath him from a wide variety of companies from BMW to Apple.

Ford: A Toyota Vet to the Rescue

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Marketing isn't ford's problem. You can put a pretty ribbon on crap, but then you just have a sh!tty ribbon.

3. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Agree 100%

He will be going from marketing a quality product to a Ford product. I'll bet he doesn't last long unless Ford takes a major stride forward in quality. I wonder how good he really is. Quality sells itself. He's going to have to actually sell, now.

4. ZippyPri

ZippyPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good they need IT

5. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks like he does a lot of 'internal marketing' to get the company doing what will sell. Since FE and quality will both be required I would expect that they would be high on his list of must haves. I would call it a good move by Ford and hope it is not too late.

6. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I applaud Jim Farley's approach at Ford. However, I would take issue with his influence with Toyota before he was hired by Ford. Toyota and many other successful Japanese firms tend to be somewhat of a closed culture when it comes to major decisions made within a Japanese company, especially such a high-profile company such as Toyota. I understand it is a closed culture at the top of the Japanese hierarchy.
    With that being said, I believe Mr. Farley is employing some very positive aspects of what he learned at Toyota. Communication with its affiliates (car dealerships) is one important aspect I am sure he appreciates...and bringing those individuals where the American Auto Industry began in the dead of winter.... good for him and those managers and auto workers at Ford! I just hope the 50 years of dismal company management is not too much for him and his new team to overcome. There would be nothing more satisfying in my lifetime than to buy a Ford some day because it is equal or better than a Toyota. This is coming from a person who purchased his first Toyota (Celica GT) in 1977 and never looked back.
    I'll be looking at quality of product, not quality of slogans and marketing genius for that to occur.

7. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota made a shift to smaller cars? I thought Toyota's bread & butter have always been the Corolla/Camry sized cars.

8. joe_g

joe_g New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I do think that Ford has really made strides in the quality department. Still looks and performs like crap, but the quality is FAR better. At the same time, Toyota has slipped in the quality department...

Toyota has been making a major effort at knocking off the F150 as the "king of trucks" for a long time.

Don't forget the Highlander and the Sequoya. Toyota does make some behemoths. And their sales are slipping since they aren't selling any. The only truck that are moving at all are Ford and Dodge 1-ton trucks in commercial use. Toyota didn't make a move on that market (even though they're a major player outside the US in that market).

9. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, if you don't have a good product to market, your marketing will be worthless. The Prius is not an example of good marketing, it's an example of good engineering. The technology markets itself.

Marketing is overrated in the U.S. Look at all those SUVs and trucks out there nobody wants. Thats what marketing gets you. The shortsighted view.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's losing a lotta high-positioned people, aren't they?