1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota May Lower Prius Price as Brand Image Changes, Nomura Research Says

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Unlimited_MPG, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've read several articles lately saying that Toyota might cut prices to keep sales going. From what I hear though the 2011 Prius price has actually increased. Any thoughts?

Toyota May Lower Prius Price as Brand Image Changes, Nomura Research Says - Bloomberg

Toyota Motor Corp. may lower the price of its Prius gasoline-electric hybrid car in Japan as the brand image of the nation’s best-selling model changes, Nomura Research Institute Ltd. said.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the key phrase is "in Japan". Even if the price didn't change at all, then the US price would have to go up since the dollar is so devalued.

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Best selling car in Japan. Lower the price? Ha!

1 person likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it'll be in Japan and they've already introduced a stripped model with the 3rd generation. The ¥2.1m model (Prius L) is more basic than your model II/Two. It has no radio, no centre console lid, narrower tyres (185 vs. 195) and so forth. The US prices for the Prius are the best value anywhere in the world IMO.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is the cost of a Prius Hatchback...will only increase.

Toyota is expanding the entire brand. My speculation is that The Prius C, becomes the lowest priced Prius...and when that happens I think you'll actually see an increase in the cost of a "regular" Prius. Also the Plug In Prius in not going to be cheaper....

I think NOW is actually a good time to buy a Prius. I've watched the cost inch up slowly since the release of the 2010.

Expanding the brand will give Toyota flexibility over image and cost. And while I'd expect they always want to be perceived a good value, I don't see the cost of a Hatchback Prius going down.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    part of the cost is the currency exchange. For us, the retail price and value of the Prius has gone down/up respectively. A 2001 Prius cost Cdn$29,990 and was similarly equipped to your model (standard cruise but no nav or side airbag option). The 2004 Prius was pegged at $29,990. No change despite all the upgrades. It inched up to $31,280 for 2007 and then dropped all the way to $27,400 in 2009 after the economy collapsed and the loonie was on par with the greenback.

Now it's $27,500 at launch (currently $27,800 with the usual model year increase).

I believe your Prius started at $19,990 and increased to $22,800 for a 2010/2011??

7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    better buy that new prius now. with the price of gas going up from mideast tension and supply, the $1,000 incentive will be gone soon. if they were smart the would make them as fast as they can before the flood comes in this summer.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be surprised if the asp of a prius in japan before incentives did not drop. It has been the best selling car there, but there have been massive government incentives, without these incentives and a discounting in price sales will drop. The prius because of currency as tideland said is much more profitable in japan than the US. I would expect Japanese prices to go up, US prices to stay the same, but incentives and discounting in the us to decrease. That would mean higher prices to the consumer in the US and more profit to Toyota.