1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota may make bigger hybrid than Prius in North America

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota may make bigger hybrid car than Prius in North America

Toyota Motor Corp. may manufacture hybrid cars bigger than its popular Prius in North America, President Fujio Cho said Tuesday.

As big cars are selling well in the U.S. market, "we will consider whether we should go with the Prius or a bigger model" for local production of hybrid cars that run on electricity and gasoline, Cho said at a press conference to release a new minivan.

With the environmentally friendly Prius arousing strong demand in North America, Toyota plans to begin local production of hybrid cars in the near future.

Possible candidates for North American production are said to include the Lexus RX400 sport-utility vehicle and the Camry midsize passenger car.

In China, Toyota will begin producing the Prius jointly with China FAW Group Corp. next year.

Meanwhile, Toyota began selling its new seven-seater minivan Isis on Tuesday, hoping to recover its lost share of the domestic market for minivans.

Toyota offers 1.8- and 2-liter engine models in the Isis family at prices ranging from 1,785,000 to 2,730,000 yen, with a monthly sales target of 4,000 units.

According to Toyota, the biggest Japanese automaker captured 56.8 percent of the domestic market for minivans last year but saw the share drop to 51.8 percent in the first eight months of this year due to strong sales of rival models such as Honda Motor Co.'s remodeled Odyssey.

Source: http://asia.news.yahoo.com/040928/kyodo/d85cmeqo0.html

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this Isis minivan available in US or just Japan? My Chevy Venture has close to 150,000 mi it's gonna need a replacement in a few years, I would love a mini van as good as my Prius

3. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. metamatic

metamatic Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: Toyota may make bigger hybrid than Prius

Hey, Toyota, I've got a radical idea... Before launching new hybrids, how about actually making enough Priuses? Then people like me who have the money and want to buy one could actually do so. Wouldn't that be cool?

(Yes, I'm bitter.)

5. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: Toyota may make bigger hybrid than Prius in North Americ

Or how about a smaller hybrid. I commute 105 miles round trip per day, and don't really need the size of the Prius. A smaller car that got even better mileage would be awesome.

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes please. I wouldn't have considered a car as large as the Prius normally.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    how about a diesel-electric locomotive.... that is a pretty big hybrid!!

8. jchu

jchu New Member

Re: Toyota may make bigger hybrid than Prius in North Americ

Prius Maximus and KMO,

A subsidiary of Toyota already does. Gets 144 mpg. Search Priuschat for the Mini Prius thread. Just one problem, It is not available here. :cry:

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if you want smaller, get a honda insight....

to toyota's credit, i think they already knew what honda now knows... smaller is too much of a niche market and would never be profitable.

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Except that it produces more emmisions than either model of Prius (thanks John1701a!)...

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well after all the insight is not a Toyota... that gives it 2 strikes right off the bat.

honda is a good car company and they build very worthy products... but they like all others pale in comparision to Toyota...

there are others that are good, but i cant afford em

12. SJhybrid

SJhybrid New Member

It's been done:
    RailPower

13. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'd like something between the Insight and the Prius. 2 seats and a luggage shelf doesn't cut it. And it has to be an automatic - Honda don't do automatic IMAs here. And the Insight is staggeringly expensive for what it is. It costs only £500 less than the Prius base model. And it doesn't have HSD.

The problem is that the Prius is a big car, at least for Europe. It falls firmly into the "large family car" category.

A 2+2 coupe, maybe like the Celica, would be my current ideal, I think. Or just something more like the Focus (hatchback).