1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Not Gunning for Top Spot

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jim Press, Toyota Motor sales president and chief operating officer, tried to dampen the rampant speculation that the Japanese automaker is driving to replace General Motors as the world's leading automaker this year.

"We have no interest in that," he told the annual Automotive News World Congress as he dismissed the idea that some kind of celebration was being planned in Japan for moment when Toyota was recognized as the world's top automaker. "We take no joy in the difficulties that GM is experiencing. We have great confidence that they will emerge much stronger," added Press, who said he was impressed with the vehicles that General Motors put on the floor at the North American International Auto Show.

Press added one of the dangers Toyota now faces is overconfidence because of its recent successes. "Our biggest problem right now is that we believe some of the headlines," he added. "If we lose our focus or become arrogant," we will get in trouble, added Press, who noted that Toyota very nearly went bankrupt in the 1950s. Consequently, Toyota's management tries to keep the focus on an internal competition in which the company does better this year than it did last year, he said. "Our biggest competitor is ourselves," he said.

Press also noted that quality, which has long been considered one of Toyota's key strengths, is constantly being redefined by the customers. Right now he believes customers are beginning to put more emphasis on long-term durability. "A five-year-old LS has fewer problems than a new car from Germany," he noted.

Michigan also is very close to the top of a short list of states being considered as the site of a new engine plant, said Press, who added he wasn't prepared to say more at this point.

Press, the top American executive at Toyota, also said the Japanese automaker was not preparing to use China as a low-cost base for products that could be sold in the United States. Instead, Toyota's strategy will be to prepare its American plants for the coming competition with the emerging Chinese auto industry, which promises to become a formidable competitor in the not too distant future. "We think we can compete with our experience and our intellectual capital," he added. "It's great what GM has been able to do in China," he added

Source: The Car Connection

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's all a big conspiracy. Toyota is trying to trick us by assuring us they are not vying for the #1 spot. They're being sneaky and trying to infiltrate the American auto industry and fool the American people into buying cars that those liars over at Consumer Reports consistantly give high ratings to year after year.

Right? I think that's what I remembered hearing from him over the last few months...or was that someone else?? I've used the 'ignore' function more recently so my memory may not be so great these days.

:lol: :rolleyes: LOL...

Good for Toyota!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those danged Japanese are once again tricking consumers with high-quality vehicles!
    Must . . fight . . temptation.
    Musn't. . .buckle. . . under . . pressu- - I-love-my-Prius. D'oh!

4. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are just a weak man Tony, a weak man. A real man drives American.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    To get to number one, Toyota simply has to maintain their output; GM and Ford will continue to lose market share. With all the new and refreshed models GM has introduced in the past 2 years, they are still hyping the SUVs and are placing their future on a platform that could easily be ruined by another (and predictable) steep jump in fuel prices.

6. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The bigger the better, always. Especially with motor vehicles. Go as large as humanly possible...you're doing your patriotic duty. ;)

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I, too have found use of the ignore button leads to a less aggrivating day. :D

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i can easily believe that Toyota is not gunning for #1...people who spend most of their time watching the other guys have a tendency to rear-end parked cars.

the way to go is to pay attention to their well laid plans and do the best they can to execute those plans. that is all they need to do to pass gm anyway

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm sorry to see that Toyota's also on that bandwagon. I saw a RAV4 ad with a picture of a road sign saying "Smaller Traffic Keep Right" and "Introducing The All-New Larger RAV4".

Very disappointing.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What do you think he is going to say? WE are glad that an American Icon is having a very tough time financially and we can't wait to pass GM and become number one? C'mon, you guys are smarter than that.

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prius chat is as predictable as I am. Toyota = high quality, great fuel mileage, green company, low emissions, everything their execs say is the truth and they are stumbling into being the number 1 automaker not planning to be.

GM = low quality, gas guzzlers, high emissions, taking advantage of american auto workers, everything their execs say is a lie and they are all idiots.

Have you guys ever tried to read what is on here as non-Toyota lovers?

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Ouch

I know you are set in your ways and opinions, malorn; but, just in case -- the day after Toyota announced it was joining the lawsuit against CA's intent to regulate CO2 emissions, I wrote them the most critical letter I could pen. I assure you, that I was not the only one.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you all hear something? There was a buzzing around my monitor. Came around twice in rapid succession but is gone now. Oh well.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

ROFL !
    Maybe it went outside to hang out on the truck.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I should have more time on Tuesday for all of you. It will be hit and miss 'til then.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks malorn, that's very kind of you.

reminds me of Fish Antlers (fishy as we like to call him) over an POL.

17. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen that ad too, in a lot of magazines lately. It bummed me out. :(