1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota offering $40,000 off Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell hybrid electric vehicles (FCHEVs)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looked to me like the top level trim regular Prius (5) in 2012 was $40K. I took a Prius C for a test and talked to the salesman while driving it, about the possibility of a C with a plug. I think I've told this story at least twice here already. You should have seen some of the reasons other priuschat members gave why a plug-in C would not sell or work as well as the Prius Plug-in. Guess we'll never know.

Gokhan likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The Mirai broke all kinds of records at almost 2800 sold or leased in the US in 2023. With problems in the hydrogen fueling system that may be all the people that want fcv in the US for personal use. By the end of last year numbers were already falling off a cliff.

By The Numbers | Hydrogen Fuel Cell Partnership
    Cumulatively there have only been 18,000 fcv sold or leased in the US (most of them toyotas), with only 55 retail stations many of them not working. There are 113 funded by the government in construction to mearly planned. That means at most 3x more unless the breakthroughs promised actually come, and they don't look like they are coming.

3000 looks pretty bad compared to 1.1 Million plug in sales last year of which 80% were bevs, 20% phevs. Toyota is discounting the mirai because few want them and they don't yet want to admit total defeat.

If Toyota had invested heavily in phevs then sure a prius c prime might have made sense. As it is now few want a smaller plug-in, and the weight of the batteries and cost of the system makes a lot more sense in a prius and rav4 prime. Still I agree, I wish toyota had invested more, but here in 2024 there would be little appetite for a prius c, plug in or otherwise.

4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    its possible the shutdown of most of the infrastructure and filling locations might have something to do with this

IMG_4986.jpeg

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they should bury one in a time capsule so that people in the distant future can dig it up and have a laugh

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ya gotta buy the $72K Mirai to get the $40K rebate. There's only a $20K rebate for the $52K Mirai. Still can't figure out how there's a $20K jump in price from one base model to top of the line. Gold toilet seats????
    Not for me, since there's only a single hydrogen station within a 60 mile radius of me.:oops::censored::LOL::whistle: I wonder how long that one is going to stay in business.:ROFLMAO::sleep::sick:

Gokhan likes this.