1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota offers warranty extension for combo meter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ct. Ken V, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello, all,

Either nobody else has received theirs yet or nobody saw fit to post anything yet about it (I've already done searches here & haven't found any mention before this post). On Wednesday November 28th, 2012 I received a "Warranty Enhancement Notice" from Toyota covering the combination meters on 2004 through 2009 2G Priuses (no code #'s or TSB #). They will be replaced free if they fail to illuminate (& towing, if required, will be covered also. The coverage is for a period of "9 years with NO mileage limitation from the date of first use". Curiously, the wording continues : "or before September 30, 2013 whichever is longer". I expect what is meant is 9 years from the earliest "In Service" date possible (of Sept 30, 2004) which is probably the first delivery date of the 2G hatchback models). I expect they will be still replacing combo meters until some time in 2018 (or 2019 if you got a 2009 leftover in 2010).

The enhanced warranty coverage is only for work performed at a Toyota dealer & if you previously paid for this repair at a dealer on your own, you will be reimbursed if you submit a copy of your work order, proof of payment, & proof of ownership (of your car) to Toyota at the address provided on the 2nd page of the notice.

P.S. 9:00AM Dec. 1, 2012 Not sure why my searches (with the word combinations of : "combination", "meter", "enhanced', & "warranty") last night before posting this didn't turn up the 2 or 3 other threads with the same information as I've just provided. This morning, looking for this post of my own (which I could not find) I came across the others (& links to them) in the recent post history, but not with the search function. One was from J. Denenberg (sorry if spelling is wrong) from Nov 23rd & 2 others were from Pat Wong as far back as Oct 24th (one of which contains a TSB).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. edh53

edh53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help me out: what IS a combination meter?

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The long narrow horizontal display showing your velocity in MPH or KPH and other warnings

4. Frances D

Frances D New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius. A few months ago, I was driving home and my dashboard was dark. It scared me, but I was able to drive so I drove home. The next morning, the car was back to normal. Today, I had a similar problem, but not i cannot even turn off my car. I talked with someone at Toyota dealership and they informed me about the extended warranty, but my car was one year off warranty. My question is that for years I have been having my car serviced by Toyota dealerships. They do the checks and no one ever told me about this problem. I also never received a letter regarding this warranty. Shouldn't the dealership have informed me about this or replaced the meter? I always ask them about recalls every time I bring in my car for service.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! check your 12 volt battery. if it is original, change it. the mfd extended warranty was only for failed ones, not wiring ones. your car is 10 years old, you're all good. all the best!(y)