1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Toyota" Oil Filters-Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BrettDanKen, Apr 23, 2005.

1. BrettDanKen

BrettDanKen Junior Member

Being a tightwad and reluctant to unnecessarily pad Toyota Dealers' wallets, I wonder if the Toyota oil filters are worth the extra price. Not only are aftermarket filters cheaper but it's more convenient for me to buy them at the local discount parts stores. Is there some magic feature designed into their filters that I would miss with a Fram or other? Anyone done a real study of this? Any warranty issues?

2. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I tend to agree with you, the Toyota filters seem like they are not necessarry. Here is a web page that has some good info:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

It doesn't mention Toyota filters but it seems to say that not all dealer's filters are worth the money. Also says that regular Fram filters are no good. Has some good info.

-Peter B

3. rookie

rookie New Member

4. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Since there's no standards for filters (that I know of) as there is with motor oil [Toyota: use SL or better motor oil], I tend to use Toyota filters [Toyota: replacement parts should meet or exceed the our specifications]. Once a year I stop by the dealer with a shopping list: 4 oil filters with washers, 1 air filter, 1 cabin air filter, and 3 wiper inserts. Runs ~$80 and I have everything I need within arms reach.

Thanks,
    Shawn

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I pay $4.91 Canadian for an Toyota OEM filter and have changed to a quick drain with a copper gasket. If it's good enough for Toyota I'll continue to use them. Then there's no warranty concern at all. Just keep your receipt. You can buy OEM filters on line and you can also go to your dealer and offer him a choice sell them to you at the price you can get online with shipping and let him make the decision, sale at wholesale price or no sale. Most are business men and will sell wholesale. Don't talk to the deskjocky in parts ask to speak to the parts manager.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there's a reason toyota uses them...

my husband, after years of using aftermarket parts on our cars, has decided to start using only oem parts because the quality is much better. and really, how bad is it to spend a few extra bucks on an oil filter every 5k miles?

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use to think that one filter is as good as another too until I read a Consumer Report article a few years ago on filters. Surprisingly they rated Mopar filters as the best. I was shcoked and i think AC filters were second.

8. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All filters are not created equal. I wouldn't touch regular FRAM filters with a 10 foot pole. I have have been very pleased with Purolator filters. I am especially happy with their PureOne filter. Purolator is a part of ArvinMeritor, a large auto parts/supplies conglomerate. They make a number of name brand products, but also seem to supply OEM products to manufacturers. I don't have any inside information regarding who they make filters for, but it is widely known they have existing relationships with the big 3 and with other manufacturers.

There was an article I read a number of months back, I believe on Corolaland, by a guy who was just curious about the innards of the filters he had available to him. After cutting them open and making various observations and measurements, it seemed pretty clear to him that the construction of the OEM Toyota filter and the regular grade of Purolator filter were nearly the same. I believe his conclusion was that Toyota filters, at least at that time were probably made by Purolator, or rather in this case, ArvinMeritor.

9. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Agreed. I've used Purolator filters for some time in many cars. No issue yet.

10. Frank Hudon

I do believe that the Toyota filter is made by Denso.

11. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been a couple of posts I recall, and wish I could link reference, where people who have changed their oil since day 1 noticed that the factory filter was different in appearance from the filter they purchased from their Toyota dealer.

I do not wish to disagree, but it makes complete sense that Denso would be making the filters available in Japan and used at manufacture, however I can't see that the expense of importing them to NA would be worthwhile. In fact, it would probably make the product prohibitively expensive compared to locally made filters. I'm still inclined to believe that a NA filter manufacturer is making the Toyota branded filters we buy at our Toyota dealers.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It is possible. How many things that we buy are made overseas? Even things under $10?

13. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, here is the article I was referencing. It isn't exactly an exciting read, however it is informative. Certainly the researcher's conclusions were not lab scientific, however he was very thorough and detailed. Probably about as good a research coming out of a guy's garage or workshop.

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

14. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"85204)</div>
    how many oil filters can you stuff in a can and load on a boat. At least 10,000 and it costs about $1500 to ship a can from Japan to NA. If they can make plastic spoons in China and ship them to NA and sell them for less than a NA manufactured one.

15. dreichla

dreichla New Member

The maintenance screen on the MFD implys that you can change the oil and oil filter at differing intervals by giving separate icons.

Since you need to change the oil in order to change the filter, that might suggest that the filter doesn't need to be changed as often as the oil?

I'm just curious if there is a technical reason (or did Toyota need to come up with an extra icon to fit the space) - I know that the for small cost of the filter and peace of mind, I might as well change it at every oil change.

16. popoff

popoff New Member

I once toured an oil filter factory. They had a display shelf with numerous brands of oil filters that had been cut in half.

I used to think that all filters were the same, but not since that day. There were obvious differences in the amount of pleated paper in the filter, which would translate into filtration area. The quality and construction fo the by-pass valve differed greatly. The materials of construction of the filter itself also varied greatly.

I usually spend the few extra bucks and go with the OEM variety. Also, one less reason they could hassle me on a lubrication related warranty issue.

17. Frank Hudon

As I reported in another thread on Denso oil filters for Toyota, they are made in NA at a Denso plant in Tennessee

18. Gen2

Gen2 Member

I am also sticking with the Toyota filter. I want my ICE to last as long as possible and with all its start stop cycles I am doing my best to keep it healthy.

19. DCDura

DCDura Junior Member

I just bought a new filter over the weekend at a local Toyota dealer. It was a Denso made in Thailand. That's not in Tennessee :)

20. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you are going to spend less than $5, go with PUROLATOR.

If you are between $5-10, go with BOSCH.

If you want the best $10+, K&N or MOBIL 1.