1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota oil vs Mobil One oil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alfon, Feb 24, 2012.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can buy both for about the same price, Mobil 1 0w20 or
    Toyota 0w20 both of course are synthetic.

Which oil will give better mpg and overall would be a better
    choice.

I have heard that the Toyota oil was formulated especially for
    the newer Prius models.

alfon

2. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The Toyota 0W20 is designed to be as light as possible at typical start-ups and especially for use in Toyota's hybrid vehicles.

The Toyota 0W20 VI is one of the very highest, 216, compared to Mobil 1's much lower 173. Toyota's 40C cST is 37.38 cST compared to Mobil's 40C 44.8cST. ( Lower is much better here )

Toyota's 100C is 8.54 cSt compared to Mobil 1's 8.7 cST.

In addition, the HTHS of the Toyota 0w20 is 2.6 compared to Mobil 1's 2.7.....and the AW package is much better also.

What the numbers all mean is that the Toyota 0W20 synthetic is about 35% lighter than M1's 0W20 at 0C (32F) and 25% lighter at room temperatures. These factors all combine for easy starts and less wear for the frequent start/stop operation of the Prius ICE ( and other Toyota's where it's specified for use ) and for maximum fuel economy.

There have been many UOA's that substantiate it's durability up to 10K and that it protects very well.

It's an excellent oil for use in all Toyoa;s Hybrids and other non-hybrid engines it is spec'd for.

2 people like this.
  3. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i just bought mobil 1 for mine, cause it was on sale. i bought 0w-20, i asked the dealarship they said they use 5w-20, so i told them i'm going to buy my own and use it.

4. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Read your owners manual. It specifically states to use 0W20.
    And if you use 5W20, it it receommended to change it out at 5K and/or the the next oi change. The folks at your stealership know not of what they speak. Nothing new with that !

5. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i know those guys are noobs cause even on the cap it says 0w-20

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A dealership that intentionally misdirects their customers should lose their license. Are you sure about that? If so, and you're feeling venomous, maybe let Toyota Canada know.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ if that was the case, all the dealerships would be out of business. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When they looked all the could find was the 710 cap and it says oz-mo so they guessed and put in 5W-20

milkman44 and pjksr02 like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good point, lol.

I had experience with one service manager who was dillegent, thorough and so on. Talked recently to someone who knows him: he says he packed in the service manager role and is teaching now in local vocational college.

To the OP: I don't think you can go wrong with Toyota 0W20. If you're at the dealership anyway to pick up filter and drain plug washer, it makes for one stop shopping. Plus, it seems to be consistantly low prices, and readily available.

And if you're DIY and want a simple paper trail, everything will be on one receipt.

10. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would use the Toyota product

11. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was wondering about this one too. Because dealer told me I have to come in for free oil change every 10K and rotation within the 2 yr period or within 24K miles which ever comes first. But I want my oil change every 5K and planning to do the 5K oil change myself. BTW, our local dealer included lifetime warranty for the drivetrain for every new car purchase with no hidden fees. :D

12. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i think you will be surprised how clean the oil is at 5k -- it is not necessary to change it.

I just took mine it at almost 2k -- they give it a free oil and filter change. I almost did not have them do it -- the oil had not changed - I could barley see it on the dipstick.

Modern engines burn so clean - it really is amazing.

If you only drive 5k in a year -- then a case could be made for the earlier change -- although most people who have cars that are not driven much no longer stick with the one year rule when using synthetic oils.

13. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just had my car for 4 days and rack up close to 500 miles. I drive over 24k a year. :( My prius pays for it's monthly bill. But I got to take care of this babe so I can get the maximum benefit of it until it breaks down. ;)

14. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Off topic. Anyone using a fumoto Kwikvalve?

15. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Might not fit under the underbody splash shield. No reason for one with OCI's at 10K as far as I'm concerned.

REV

16. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks rev.

17. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the responses.

Looks like Toyota 0w20 could possibly deliver more mpg's, being that
    its a little lighter than Mobil One.

Also I believe if I buy it by the case I can get it for about $6.00 / qt
    at my local Toyota dealer.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been using the Toyota 0W20 oil since the car was new. When I went to get the oil for the most recent oil change at 40K miles the Parts Department guy brought out quarts of Quaker State 0W20 oil saying that the dealership has gone to bulk 0W20 oil and will no longer be stocking the Toyota oil. I purchased the oil filter and drain plug gasket but decided not to purchase the QS oil.

Not being familiar with Quaker State I went to WalMart and got the Mobil1 oil. I have not seen a change in mpg since the oil change which was about 2k miles ago and about 5 to 6 tank refills.

2 people like this.
  19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^I wonder what LTZR1 has to say about that. ;)

20. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL !! I have no doubt that LTZR1 is knowledgeable on the facets of motor oil. What I question is what that means in THE REAL WORLD. To take a spec difference of .1, from 2.6 to 2.7 and call that 'much better' is simply ridiculous. The Prius motor is a very lightly used motor ... it runs at low RPM's unless you're hammering it, it's off much of the time, and it's not high compression.

ANY quality motor oil of the Toyota specs will be just fine. It's just that simple. You could probably run a quality dino oil if you could find it in 0-20 at 10K intervals and THAT would be just fine. I would always stick to Toyota's recommended intervals (at least until your warranty was up), then you're basically self-insuring so do what you feel is right.

I'm not denigrating LT's knowledge, just his zeal for badmouthing anything that doesn't match Toyota specs exactly as 'inferior'. I can remember 30 years ago when I sold stereo equipment. The big thing was THD (total harmonic distortion) specs back then ... all the mfgrs raced to get the lowest, and we actually had people buy a given unit over a 'much better' unit at the same price because one had .08% THD instead of .09% THD ... it was truly laughable. Truth be told ... you couldn't hear the difference between 10% and .01% given the transducers (speakers) that they were buying.

There are no bad oils today. Even Walmart's Supertech lubricants (at last knowledge made by Pennzoil) and filters are known to be some of the best at very reasonable prices.

REV