1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Opinion of Dealers charging a Premium?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I put this up in news, but I had never seen the information at the end of the article.

I wonder if reporting gouging dealers might not do some good after all?

----------------

http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp...9&date=20040719

Toyota Is Expected to Boost Prius Output to Meet Demand

Monday July 19, 6:42 PM EDT

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. ™ is expected to announce soon it will significantly boost output of its Prius sedan to meet surging demand in the U.S. and elsewhere for the gasoline-electric hybrid.

Toyota executives familiar with the impending move said that supply of the red-hot Prius for the U.S. market, which is pegged at around 47,000 vehicles a year, might even double eventually as a result of the anticipated expansion.

The executives said the Japanese auto maker most likely would expand Prius output by producing it at an additional location in Japan. All Prius cars now come from the company's Tsutsumi plant in Toyota City, where it is headquartered. Tsutsumi produces the hybrid at a pace of between 120,000 and 130,000 a year, along with seven other gasoline-engine models including the Camry and the Japan-market Wish car.

It wasn't immediately clear exactly how big the expected capacity expansion would be. But a senior executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Toyota would significantly expand Prius capacity in a "step-ladder" manner over time.

Another company official said Toyota needs to almost double its Prius supply in order to meet strong demand for the car in the U.S., where customers are lining up to snap up the Prius, sometimes paying a premium up to $6,000 for it.

The official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said the planned expansion would be aimed primarily at easing shortages of the hybrid sedan in the U.S. Toyota has said some customers are waiting for as long as six to seven months for the Prius. Certain Toyota dealers have stopped taking orders for the car for the rest of the 2004 model year.

Toyota executives said the company is scrambling to expand Prius output because they are concerned the long wait for the car in the American market is creating anger among consumers flocking to Toyota dealers for the car.

Toyota is "concerned ... that customers are waiting almost too long," one senior executive said in an e-mail message. Demand for the Prius "has been beyond our expectations."

They are also concerned about some questionable moves by Toyota's American dealers taking advantage of the Prius' popularity. The executives said some dealers are known to have charged a big premium for the car.

While Toyota found only a handful of such cases, "what's happening is that those who have been able to buy Prius cars are reselling them at a big premium on a personal basis, usually through a Web site," one executive said. "I also hear that very low mileage used Prius cars are being auctioned and are bought by dealers above new car sticker price and sold accordingly."

The executives said Toyota has a specific policy against its dealers charging a premium for any new car. If a dealer is found to have charged a premium, Toyota will penalize it by lowering the monthly allotment of vehicles it receives from Toyota, they said.

"We have to improve the situation quickly," one executive said.

-By Norihiko Shirouzu, The Wall Street Journal; 313-963-7810

Dow Jones Newswires
    07-19-04 1842ET

© 2004 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

--------------

Whaaa? Only a handful of such cases? They must not have been looking very hard.

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This means its not made by a union shop...I didn't know that.
    Now I REALLY want one.

Alpha

3. peart75

peart75 New Member

so where is a place that toyota has set up that we can report dealers that take advantage of toyota's customer base?

-drew

4. GEB

GEB New Member

Yeah!

If they wanted to know! Just call any dealer in the Los Angeles Area!!!!! At least 5k over invoice and screwing any preordered car!!!!!!!
    Anyone have that number? I would love to start reporting all the dealers.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bet the majority of dealers are getting around it on a 'technicality'.

If they charge you $3,000 for a bottle of scotchgard and a wax job, have they really marked it up? Or just sold you an optional package.

Seriously though, this is kind of depressing. We all know dealers who are just doing shameless straight markups.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How do you figure, from the above, that it's non-union?

7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Not made by a union shop...

Alpha Wrote:

This means its not made by a union shop...I didn't know that.
    Now I REALLY want one.

Tempus wrote:

How do you figure, from the above, that it's non-union?

(KM) He's figuring that there are no unions in Japan, therefore its a non-union product. I figure that if there are no unions there, it's because japanese corporate culture treats workers as valuable assets. American corporate culture has shifted over towards viewing personnel as expenses needing to be trimmed.

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't ask the question - daniel over-quoted :)

9. Smooth Operator

How do you figure the Prius is made by non-union labour?

The Japanese auto industry is highly unionized. In fact, I have not found a single automobile that is made in Japan that is built with non-union labour.

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sorry I ment to say "DOES this mean....?"

So if it is oh well I still can't wait to get mine. At least its a Japanese union.

Alpha

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    highly unionized? that is news to me.

funny, when Toyota bought the old GM plant in Kentucky they didnt allow the union in. i wonder if that has changed also.

12. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    So in the end its the purchasers who get penalized, not the dealers as the purchaser has to wait even longer, but no doubt still pay the premium. :x It would be better to fine the dealer say the cost of a complete car for each they sold at a premium give a warning with the threat of loss of franchise.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is the reason why i was only on one list. my dealer charged exactly the list price and not a penny more. the only additional charge he had was a security thing for about $199 that i had the option to cancel although i got it since it did sound like a good idea and the standard $515 destination charge. although Prius' are currently unknown outside the Prius community, i feel that that is soon to change making the Prius in huge demand from the general public.

unfortunately, the inevitable fallout from such popularity is car theft. and it doesnt matter what is done to safeguard against theft, the facts are, if someone wants your car, they will figure out a way to get it.

14. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, they can get it (flatbed truck, etc.), but unless they also steal a working fob, they're not going to be doing much with it. (Look around for a Prius up on blocks in the front yard. :lol: )

Lotta details about this here.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a working fob would be no help at all.

before your Prius powers down, it reprograms the fob every time. so a working fob unless it comes from the car being stolen would be of little use.

i have often wondered how this is done. maybe a timestamp combined with an algorithm based on code embeded in the car. that way, the spare fob would also work.

16. drbob

drbob New Member

IF Toyota indeed has a policy against charging premiums, rather than penalizing dealers by reducing their allotment, why not penalize the dealers by forcing them to return the premium paid by the consumer?

By the way, I had an update yesterday on our local Toyota dealer and it seems that he is still playing fair with the waiting list. In fact, the list is posted and visible. When a car comes in, the first on the list is called. If they pass on the vehicle, the second name is called...and so on down the line until the Prius finds a new home.

17. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Toyota has no policy either for or against adding markups or discounting. They have contracts with each dealership to sell the dealers cars at agreed to invoice pricing, and ON SOME MODELS offer incentives to the buyers (rebates) when the cars are purchased, and they also offer ON SOME MODELS special financing at times to certain tier credit buyers (qualified buyers) in lieu of rebates.

Each region agrees on their percentage of TDA that is paid per car. And, their adminstrative fuel costs per car. Then, that's IT. Toyota has no say in dealers adding markups as well as they have no say in who's discounting cars or in some cases, selling cars at a loss to keep up the volume. I'm certain that as a whole, they don't care as long as the cars keep rolling off the line and everyone's making a profit overall.

It's politically and contractually impossible to impose a sanction on a dealer who sells a car over MSRP as well as it should be... the same way that it's also impossible to sanction a dealer who's willing to sell for less. It's free trade... and once we as dealers have the car(s) we are also free to sell them at whatever the market will bear.

Dianne

18. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree with Dianne, but it still sucks.
    That would really tick me off if I got passed over because a dealer wanted to give one to someone because they will pay more than sticker.

Alpha

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In a free-market economy, when you want to buy something that's in high demand and low supply, you generally have to pay through the nose. If you have something to sell under the same circumstances, you can charge through the nose.

The really surprising thing here (and it's a credit to Toyota and the majority of dealers!) is that rather than charging what the market will bear, most have adopted the waiting-list system. From what I read on PriusChat, very few dealers are taking the capitalist road. Even though our own favorite bald Cuban got shafted, this seems to be rare.

The free-market system is evil when the basic necessities of life (food, housing, medical care, etc.) are denied to those who don't have enough money. But it's harder to make a case for price controls when the product being sold is a luxury car. (Though it's exasperating, of course, when something you want is in short supply.)

20. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder how much motivation Toyota really has to sell more Prius cars. It's kind of a concept car and their profit margin on it has to be pretty small. Selling some to prove that the technology is viable, getting a bunch of awards, and having a waiting list that's a mile long is all pretty good PR.

The customers that don't want to wait or pay a premium will buy some other kind of car. Many of those will be Toyotas with higher profit margins. I believe that the main motivation for increasing production is the negative PR that comes out when the waiting and price gouging starts to get ugly. That seems to be raflected in their comments like "customers are waiting almost too long."