1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota OptiBlue H11 + Philips Blue Vision Ultra W5W

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Sergio-PL, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All.
    I've just equipped my gen3 with new headlights. OptiBlue lights have slightly higher light temperature.

First impressions (I'm using them for two days). Road signs and white lines are better visible. They reflect more lights. Overall lights range doesn't seem to be bigger. Light stream is better optimised, better fills area. More light goes to the rights, where normally sidewalk is which is a good idea on a dark parts of the road. It also seems that a little more lights goes to the near left side.
    So maybe there is no more light (they are obviously not xenons) but they pretty match with blue glass around Prius headlights. And I like this cold white look.

I took 3 pictures on the old bulbs and after change I tried to replicate the same 3 pictures.
    Pictures where taken with the same car, same lens, same exposure parameters and were developed in Adobe Camera RAW using same settings. All the settings are in the footer of the images.

Because different light temperature may fool human eyes I also converted pictures to the Lab color space and isolated lightness channel (which is different from Convert to grayscale which takes different % of R / G / B colors).

[​IMG]

More pictures (6) on my website. 3 comparisons in colour mode and the same three with Lab lightness channel.

Toyota OptiBlue H11 vs Philips OEM H11 | Sergiusz Roszczyk, Sergio-PL

EU Prius gen 3 bulbs:
    Parking: W5W - changed from OEM to Philips Blue Vision Ultra
    Lo-Beam: H11 / 55W - changed from OEM Philips to Toyota OptiBlue (made by Philips)
    Hi-Beam: HB3 / 65W (OEM)
    Anti-fog: H11 / 55W (OEM)

[​IMG]

F8L likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Blue bulbs will always give you less light output. The pics show more down the road illumination with the OEM bulbs. The new bulbs do have a nice color temperature for aesthetics though.

3. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Total output is the same, but looks a bit better. I still feel that those lights have too short range but were double checked by Toyota Academy and my local dealer so I don't see any point to fight with them, only accept them as is.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Change out your OEM H11 foglight bulbs for the same ones in your low beams. They'll match and the crappy cutoffs in the foglights will throw more down the road illumination out there.

sfv41901 likes this.
  5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like the color but not at the loss of output down the road.

6. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would... If I ever use them. Even in a very dense fog they are useless. If I would do antything with them I would get rid of them and replace with LED DRLs :)