1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota pays Prius owners $100

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Roger3125, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Has anyone other than myself been invited by Toyota to sit in on a discussion with other new Prius owners? I received a phone call last week to do just that. For my time they will pay me $100

Received a second call last evening confirming that I would be at the meeting tomorrow evening and to give me directions. I had to bring my license and proof of ownership.

I'm game to make $100 for an hour or so but curious...has anyone else been asked to do this? If so and you have gone, can you tell us what this is all about.

I mean, if they just want my opinion, they could just as well ask me on the phone. Maybe they want to photograph my facial expressions of pur delight.

Please respond if you know anything about this

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've been to other test sessions (not at Toyota), but haven't been paid that much. It's a hoot to do that though.

They may want you to look at pictures and ask what looks better in terms of color and design (or show you a commercial and ask what you think). They may want several opinions at on time so it's easier to do that.

At least it's not one of those emails that claims if you send it to 10 others, they'll track it and send you a 2007 Prius if enough go out. :)

Yeah, focus group, what Jack 06 said. :)

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Sounds like a "focus group"---have you heard of them? Companies routinely employ them to get consumers' input on specific qualities of products. They usually pay $50-$100 for you to sit with a group of others (usually 15-20), led by a professional who asks the questions. Can't be done by phone---group interaction is one feature they like.

I could be wrong, but sure sounds like it. I served on one, and liked it.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Roger, no I know nothing whatever. Just one word of caution and you may have already thought of it. Just make sure it really is Toyota and not some kind of scam. It almost certainly is but it never hurts to be sure. You could look Toyota up in the phone book and call them, using a number you found, to verify. Paranoia is sometimes healthy.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do me a favor, make sure that they understand that WE WANT:

-Plug in option for our hybrids, even if it means higher cost and shorter battery life
    -A Hybrid Sienna. NOW.
    -The return of the RAV4 EV or something similar.

And by WE I mean ME, but of course, everyone should agree with me on this.

;-)

Good luck, have fun.

Nate

6. dsunman

dsunman New Member

ME TOO

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I forgot: please let us know how it went, what they asked, what others said, etc. If Toyota swears you to an oath of secrecy, well, you can be sure WE wouldn't tell. :p

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah tell them we need a hybrid mini-van now!

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    And for that, don't bring in a laptop with PriusChat currently up. :D

10. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Sure sounds like a focus group. I got paid $100 for a Toyota one years and years ago. It was related to service centers outside of dealerships and a few years later, the one in Santee "popped" up. I met a group of other people in a business office of a local market research firm and they paid us cash as we were leaving. It was a fascinating experience! Enjoy it! :)

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

No matter what they ask, I suggest the same answer:

Plug-in Prius

12. JKnight

JKnight Member

Focus groups are fun as long as they don't make you eat anything.

I just did one for a computer accessory company. They wanted me to attach a security device without telling me how to do it. I looked at it, looked at the laptop with only one place you'd plug something like this, plugged it in and they said, "Fine, here's fifty bucks."

The Prius focus group sounds like more fun!

Jan

13. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

No, No, No!!! Not a hybrid Sienna!!! :eek: :(

We just bought an 06 Sienna XLE!!! I don't want to have to trade it in on a hybrid for a couple of years yet!! :eek: :blink: :( :rolleyes: ;)

I can't afford to buy ANOTHER new car... :huh: <_<

14. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jdjeep98 My wife's 99 Venture has 170k on it and it can't last forever. I really want that Estima mini-van they have in japan

15. DanCar

DanCar New Member

Me three. :D

For the plug in prius, I don't care if it only gives me 5 miles of range. I only live 3 miles from work.

16. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Tell me what you all mean by "Plug ins" offer me examples) and I'll be happy to bring it up in the Focus Group tomorrow evening. . And if they swear me to secrecy I can trust you guys, can't I?

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    focus groups are very cool. i was in one concerning a possible injury lawsuit, online gaming (Sony's Gamestation a loooong time ago) and another on the ms mouse.

always totally cool and a great way to have a say in the direction of future product development

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For example, when you get home at night, you plug your Prius into a wall socket. This will charge your battery and when you leave your house the next day, it's fully charged. If you have the EV switch, then you're all ready to drive away quietly.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i want a Prius that has a minimum 20 mile range on the EV battery with the option to plug it into standard 110 volt AC to charge at night. for affordability, quick charging wouldnt be available, charge times would be in the 4-8 hour range depending on the remaining charge level.

instead of the traction battery being maintained at an optimum charge level during normal driving, it would run down to the minimum "safe" charge level, then that level will be maintained by the ICE as it does now. only when plugged in, can it be charged back up to the "max safe charge level" thus maxmizing the usage of power off the grid and minimizing gasoline consumption.

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here. I made my own. Print this and take it with you:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.darelldd.com/ev/images/rav4/rav_plug/rav_smplug08.jpg

Beyond what the others have said, a PHEV (plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle, or plug-optional, or gas-optional hybrd) would have a larger battery pack, and a way to charge that pack from the grid. The vehicle would operate as a pure battery EV, well beyond the capabilities of today's "stealth" or "EV mode" - it would drive like a real car on battery alone. Full acceleration. Freeway speeds. All on battery! No driver intervention needed. If the battery is full enough (from being charged over night), it uses the battery... when the battery is drained to a certain point, the gas motor kicks in automatically, and you're back to being a normal hybrid again. A vehicle of this type (with, say, 30 mile EV range) would allow MOST commuters to avoid using gasoline in a normal day.

Please read this, and this.. And if you have some time, watch this!

All that said, just tell them that you desperately want a plug-in hybrid. They will most definitely know what you mean since they've been denying that they're working on one for some time now. :) You hold the future of the world in your hands. Don't drop the ball! ;)