1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Plans to Employ Angular Coil for Wireless Power Transmission

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by usbseawolf2000, Dec 12, 2012.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

Toyota Motor Corp is considering employing an angular coil, which is made by winding a copper wire around a quadrangular plate, for its wireless power transmission technology under development.

Toyota prototyped a vehicle equipped with the angular coil and is evaluating its performance. The problem with angular coils is that it is necessary to reduce the leakage of electromagnetic waves to the extent that it meets radio laws. It seems that Toyota is now ready to meet such regulations.

There are two shapes of coils used for wirelessly transmitting electricity to vehicles: circular and angular shapes. A magnetic path is decided depending on the shape. Therefore, to efficiently pass magnetic fluxes, it is necessary to have the same coil shape on the power transmitting and receiving sides.

The two shapes are not compatible with each other, and they both have advantages and disadvantages. The number of automakers that are choosing a circular coil is almost the same as the number of makers that are choosing an angular coil.

More...

JMD, [email protected] and Sergiospl like this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can see some asking for the transmitter to be in the front.

I think the rear is better so that you can aim/park with the backup camera.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hope this is going to be available in the next Gen Prius Plug-in or Toyota NS4. This is high tech!

4. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I prefer the center, so you can pick which direction :) I'm sure they can use a little light to indicate if you are in the right spot.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i am sure there is long long way before this becomes something to be used in real life scenarios... first of all, "stations" need to be standardized so it works on most if not all cars. Without that, it is useless.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am thinking this as an optional purchase to put it in the garage.

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    This technology is available today at an extraordinary price as an aftermarket. The expected price was $12K with a wireless alignment feature. News were posted in the EAA monthly circular a way back.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is a positive change. Nothing can be more time consuming than plugging in your car a few times a day. I would hate to have to plug in my other appliances as I use them TV, Coffee maker, Washer, etc. This is a no brainer and Americans like things to be very easy.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What about your phone, tablet, or laptop?

JMD likes this.
  11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if Toyota will some form of sensor guidance for the driver can closely align the vehicle with the charging pad? That would be helpful.

DBCassidy

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is no secret that Apple is throwing money at and recorded patents on wireless charging.

13. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agree. Robotic lawnmowers already navigate themselves to their recharging bases. A car should be able to self-guide itself over the charging pad too, once it gets close enough.

Still, this looks to be a much more expensive option than just plugging the car in. I seriously doubt we'll see this in a Gen. IV plug-in Prius.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Traditionally one of the biggest issues has been low efficiency of the setup.
    I would love to see this type of technology become widespread:)

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially when they put the plug on the wrong side of the car. :)

Trollbait, fuzzy1 and JMD like this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Fortunately the article (as they all seem to state) only says they're thinking about it. With the U.S. grid being in such crappy shape, it's not like we can afford to build a more expensive form of charging, just for the lazy factor, just so we can create a greater amount of loss. After all, the goal is to get as much of the juice into the battery as possible. Why would people want to waste 10%-15% of all charging power, just so they don't have to plug in.

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There was a article from one of the Exec VP ot Toyota at the LA Auto Show that spoke about Toyota funding research in Battery Technology and Wireless Charging. Toyota see's this as the future. Something will emerge.

18. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Despite the inevitable charging loss, I'm all for it if it's reasonable priced

19. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wireless charging for electric vehicles is a bad idea. Even if the transmission is 95% efficient, you'd still be throwing kw of power away on every charge. It's not safe. It would be like running your microwave oven with the door open--except that more power is involved. Not only would it cause RF interference, but it could be fatal to small pets or children that get too close for too long.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are already such mats on the market now. You can even get a new Dart with one installed for your phone.

For those that find taking the plug from the charger to their car and back such a huge drain of time out of their day will find some other reason not to go plug when wireless charging is available.

Are these the same people that will pay extra for a full service fill up of their gasser?

JMD likes this.