1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota plans ultra-inexpensive car

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/22/0...7.pbtqfqv6.html

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

This is GREAT! I bought my daughter a cheaper new car (10,000) when she started driving. (Misabitushi Lancer <sp?>) She's had it for 4 years and hasn't had any problems with it besides having to replace the tires and do oil changes. It's been great not having to worry about buying her an old beater and having it break down all the time.

I wonder where the are going to get to with their price point. (interesting the article states it will be less than the 6,200 Logan)

I think bringing out a $5,000 new car would do great things for Toyota. With their overseas people they should be able to make it happen!

This will get many more low income people into a new car instead of always having to buy beaters that fall apart!

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Too bad they can't bring over the existing, low-cost, Kei "ultra-compact" cars that already exist in Japan and Europe. In the USA, these ultra-compacts would be death traps on the high-speed, SUV roads

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. There already is a car smaller than the Yaris - the Aygo. It's as basic as you can get in a Toyota.

The hatchback liftgate is just a piece of glass with no frame, the door panels have body-colour trim pieces, the wheels are peeking out from the bumpers, it's using a 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder engine.

I'd say, make the Toyota Endo concept car a reality. It looks bigger than a smart but smaller than a Yaris and quite stylish in my opinion. Think MINI.

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    does this mean expensive insurance? if it's disposable, then I would guess a minor accident would potentially total it...

6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An Indian company call Tata has announced a $2000 car according to January issue of Diesel Progress Magazine. it will be a 5 door hatchback for sale in India only.

7. pebi

pebi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jan 22 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]379182[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I guess you could say that it is probably more a question about if the car manufactors think they can sell any cars on a specifik market.
    You know, size is not eveything ;) I'd rather crash in a new super mini, than in an old big car. (the best would ofcourse not to crash at all, or if having a coiche in a big new constrution, but I think you get the pictur by looking at this:
    Ago (or C1 wich is the same car)
    http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...1=1&id2=218
    And to compare with a scary old thing:
    http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...d1=5&id2=56

Regard from Sweden,

/Per

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jan 22 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]379182[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's the SUVs you have to worry about so much, more like tractor trailers...

Small city cars are great for the cities... but for about 90% of the US, they're just impractical.