1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Platinum Warranty should I keep it or cancel it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nathenvan, Dec 4, 2011.

1. nathenvan

nathenvan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a used 2010 III prius with 44k on the odometer about a month ago. I bought Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty for $695 which covers for 7yrs/100k Miles. I still have 5 days to cancel the warranty and get a full refund. What do you guys thinks? should I keep the warranty or not?
    The car runs great with no problem at all
    It is certified preowned so even if I cancel the extended warranty I still have the certified warranty with the car.

Thanks all

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Doesn't the CPO warranty cover the exact same things? I bought a CPO car once (not a Toyota) and the CPO warranty was the manufacturers extended warranty and included in the price of the car.

I recommend giving Troy, who sells Toyota extended warranties through Prius Chat, a call and ask him. Troy posts as TOG, check post #1426 on this thread for contact information http://priuschat.com/forums/sponsor...rranty-service-contracts-143.html#post1425699

3. nathenvan

nathenvan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CPO comes with warranty but only for 12/12k miles

4. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The warranty goes back to the day the car was first delivered to the original buyer, right? So subtract that time, plus the year covered under the certified car warranty, and you have roughly 4 years and 66K miles remaining. Got to be kind of a peace-of-mind issue, IMHO. OTOH, I've never used any warranty on my '06, after 55K miles and five and half years. The Platinum Warranty I bought was for 100K but only six years, so if my plug-in comes in around March, the new owner will only have a couple of months left. Bottom line is Toyota builds a quality product. I don't think I will buy an extended warranty on the new one.
    Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

5. nathenvan

nathenvan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will keep the warranty just for peace of mind in knowing that it is cover until 100K
    Thanks for the input.

6. anwarsaftab

anwarsaftab New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $695 is a great price ... Did you bought warranty from the dealer or some other place?

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have 74K miles with zero repairs. Why waste the money. The car is going to last.