1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

toyota prius 2011 1.8 dtc POA2D Drive motor A temp sensor circuit high

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by akbar, Jul 29, 2018.

1. akbar

akbar New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prius came up the above dtc code , POA2D , is motor A , the MG 1 motor , i have done the following test , Took the black plate cover off , hv inverter , removed orange cable for mg1 , replaced cover , put voltage meter , through hole , obtained following readings , between all terminals voltage 2 volts .
    i then took omes reading from the orange cable , that goes to mg1 , between all terminal s , 04.02 ohms reading was obtained . test to all terminal and ground 0 ohmes obtained , so their was continuity between terminals

i have used tis techstream bought from e bay , obtained freeze frame , following information
    MOTOR 1 temperature -40 minus MOTOR NO2 TEMP 28
    Inverter temp mg1 31 inverter temp mg2 31

Wondered if some one can help advice me , do u think the hv inverter is faulty .
    Also when engine starts , on the dashboard it does not show , that the battery is being charged
    any advice would help

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual, available by subscription to toyota-tech.eu, has a troubleshooting procedure for DTC P0A2D. The inverter isn’t among the likely trouble areas listed in that procedure:
    • Wire harness or connector
    • Power management control ECU
    • Hybrid vehicle motor assembly (Motor temperature sensor)
    With a “Motor Temp No1” reading of -40 °F (-40 °C), the procedure says the malfunction is an “Open circuit or short to +B” in the motor temperature sensor circuit. The procedure says to disconnect the motor temperature sensor connector at the HV motor assembly and short the two terminals together. If the temperature reading then changes to 419 °F (215 °C), then the wiring and connector are probably OK, and the trouble is probably in the HV motor assembly, which Toyota says to replace as a unit. Otherwise, the trouble is probably in the wiring harness, connector, or Power Management Control ECU.

Note that DTC P0A2D relates only to the low-voltage temperature sensor circuit, not the high-voltage cabling between MG1 and the inverter.

3. akbar

akbar New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank for your advice were is location of motor 1 temperature sensor connector
    My car is Prius 2011 1.8 is it in the HV inverter please advice