1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius and flood water?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by That_Prius_Car, Oct 11, 2009.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other day me and my friends were driving to Charelston to go shopping and we were on a back road. It had been raining non-stop for 3 days and the rivers were up, but I didnt expect a flood. We were going about 70mph and I came around a turn and seen water across the road, and hit it going about 65mph. I did not slam on my brakes because I didnt want to loose control, when I hit the water the car swayed back and fourth a few times (hydroplaning) then when it caught traction again, I heard a slight squeal from the tires, and the VSC light blinked a few times, but thats not what worried me, the ! symbol with the car around it came on for like 2 minutes, I beleive it was the Hybrid System warning light, after the car came to a stop, we sat there for a few moments and caught our breath. What could have caused the two lights to come on? Should I take it to a Toyota dealer? :(

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The VSC light came on because of your low traction situation. You are right, the hybrid system warning icon appears on the MFD and is the ! with the car outline. I would not have expected that to come on.

However, if the lights have gone off and there are no driveability issues, then don't worry.

I would recommend that you try to avoid flood areas in the future if possible. If you get into deep water, that may result in a writeoff of your car.

3. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, and I wont be driving through any water = DD
    And could you get shocked if you did, and it came in the car?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope not. The high voltage system has lots of safety features in its design. In the event of an accident or a ground fault, the system should shut down.

5. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for all the questions = DD
    but what is the max heigth of water the Prius can take on?
    And where would that level be on my Prius?
    (by the way, the water I hit was about a foot to a foot and a half.)

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I would guess that a water level sufficient to cover the door sill is too high. Prius has a number of electronics units mounted on the floor under the front seats (nav ECU, JBL audio amp) so those will be the first to be damaged if water can enter the passenger cabin. Further, water that high will likely cover the exhaust pipe so the engine may stall.

Immersion in that level of water may also result in early failure of the wheel bearings.

1 person likes this.
  7. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Attached Files:

8. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it has been raining for exactly 4 days now, non-stop, and finally my road has flooded. There is a pipe that the water runs through that is clogged by leaves, and tree branches. The water is pretty deep, but I need my Prius to get to school. I am pretty suprised in all this rain! Hopefully my lovely Prius can make it through... I attached a picture of what I beleive the water would stand on my Prius, and you guys tell me if its too risky = / (This is not my actual Prius.)

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

PLEASE, do not drive through water that deep! The first time was a warning. You may not be so fortunate a second time.

I always watch with wonder on the Weather Channel when they give warnings about not driving through water on roadways. And yet ever year people do it, and every year some people lose their cars, and sometimes their lives, doing it. And not to mention putting the lives of others at risk who attempt to save them.

If you have money to throw away, so that if the car gets totaled from water damage you can replace it....and if you free climb vertical cliffs with no safety harness...then go for it! ;)

As others have mentioned, there are a LOT of electronics in the Prius. If memory serves me correct, something like 27 separate computers and ECUs. If any one of those gets damaged, troubleshooting and replacing electronic parts can quickly get very expensive. Cost wise, the car could get totaled very easily by getting water inside it.

Also, the exhaust would probably be below water level in the picture you show. That alone could ruin the engine.

That's my 2 cents.

11. jasebri

jasebri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi all, this is my first post :)

We have suffered severe flood here (watch video embedded)

ww.laopinion.es/2010/02/03

(fill the first w, I can not insert links yet)

I had to go back home with my 4 years old daughter and suddenly faced a water stream coming down towards me. My prius drove this deep.

I was really scared. :(

Attached Files: