1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius Emissions

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wakeman84, Dec 22, 2005.

1. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

I know this may seem like a dumb question to many but I searched the forums and could not find an answer. I am just curious as to if all prius' produce the same emissions as the prius' sold in california to meet the state's more stringent emission standards? I live in south carolina and am planning on buying a hybrid (either a prius or a civic hybrid) and am trying to figure out if the prius I would buy here would produce the same emissions as that is one of my main reasons for going hybrid. Thanks.

Mike

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As far as I know there's no difference between a prius sold in LA and one in Columbia (the state not the country :D ).

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All Prii sold in the US have the same emission rating, AT-PZEV. But some states follow the CA emission standard (MA, NY, CT to name a few). The owner's manual list all the states that follow the CA emission standard and those states will honor the 10yr/150k miles emission warranty.

Edit: I'll confirm this when I get home with the warranty booklet.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Page 6 of 05 Prius warranty info shows the hybrid battery is covered for 10 yr/150k miles under CA emission control warranty. Other emission control related parts are covered for 15yrs/150k miles. CA emission warranty also applies to Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. So enjoy the extra long warranty period for ppl who live in those states.

5. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

Thanks guys. If only we weren't still living in the stone ages in sc we would adopt the emissions standards too. oh well. god bless.

Mike

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I struggled with this question for a while, and finally got the straight story from Dave Hermance of Toyota. All US Prius since 2001 are the same from the factory. In Calif and other states that sell low-sulfur gasoline, the Prius does better in terms of pollutant emissions. The S reduces the effectiveness of the catalyst. To some degree (perhaps 100%) this effect is reversible. Cars including Prius actually do some subtle tricks to "burn off" S, including varying the air/fuel ratio a bit which will temporarily increase catalyst temperatures.

The difference in emissions ratings for the 2001-2003 model was quite large, but with the newer model (2004 onwards) the gap was substantially decreased. I don't exactly know how this was accomplished, but the coolant thermos must be involved. Even in Prius, those first few minutes of driving before all systems are up to operating temperatures are by far the worst for emissions.

Eventually all US gasoline will be low sulfur (I think that means 20 parts per million or less), but it seems quite difficult to get the real timetable for this.

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can someone with '06 Prius warranty info please confirm whether or not this is still true with the '06s?

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

The new Civic hybrids are SULEV for sure; I cannot remember if they are PZEV.

Tailpipe emissions are within the same limits for these two categories. The differences are in warranty if you are in a CA compliant state, and evaporative emissions from the gas tank.

Not trying to dissuade from a Prius. Just thought you might be interested, since you write you are deciding between these two cars.

btw, I thought Oregon and Washington had joined the CARB group too ?

9. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mike,
    Here is the source for emission information and you can compare various cars. It does show that there is a difference in California cars.

http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/E-TOYOTA-Prius-04.htm

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The mandate begins in just 2 DAYS.

That's why there is no talk about it anymore. We are already there. In fact, talk about low-sulfur diesel is now the focus, since it appears that it will actually reach the target 6 months early (June 2006 rather than January 2007).

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

From eia.doe.gov -- (my bolding)

This study was undertaken at the request of the Committee on Science, U.S. House of Representatives. The Committee asked the Energy Information Administration (EIA) to provide an analysis of the Final Rulemaking on Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Standards and Highway Diesel Fuel Sulfur Control Requirements, which was signed by President Clinton in December 2000.1

The purpose of the rulemaking is to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) from heavy-duty highway engines and vehicles that use diesel fuel. The new rule requires refiners and importers to produce highway diesel meeting a 15 parts per million (ppm) maximum requirement, starting June 1, 2006; however, pipelines are expected to require refiners to provide diesel fuel with an even lower sulfur content, somewhat below 10 ppm, in order to compensate for contamination from higher sulfur products in the system, and to provide a tolerance for testing. Diesel meeting the new specification will be required at terminals by July 15, 2006, and at retail stations and wholesalers by September 1, 2006. Under a “temporary compliance option†(phase-in), up to 20 percent of highway diesel fuel produced may continue to meet the current 500 ppm sulfur limit through May 2010; the remaining 80 percent of the highway diesel fuel produced must meet the new 15 ppm maximum.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Toyota should have also kept the hydrocarbon absorbing cat on the 2k4-6 as well as the themous.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Regulatory requirements for sulfur amounts were rescinded surrounding the hurricanes last year in the US. I don't know if they are back to what they were.

Quite the mishmash.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keep in mind the probability of Prius having a much higher resale value many years from now due to the fact that it already supports an EV mode (beyond stealth). That will likely stimulate a rise in aftermarket augmentation (larger capacity battery-pack and a plug)... which could be quite dramatic if prices on rechargables keep dropping.

16. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

Thanks for all the information guys. I went and test drove a prius and a civic hybrid yesterday and I am leaning towards the prius. The civic hybrid didn't have the room that the prius has, especially in the back seat.

Mike

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That seems to be the biggest gripe about the HCH. The versatility of the hatchback is really convienient. many of the people here who looked at both vehicles usually site space as a major component of their decision to go with the prius.

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My primary was the gadgets that the Prius offers. Room was secondary, yet still important! EV mode came in a close third.

19. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So Darell,

Since you already own a true EV why the Prius?

I wish I could get a 50 mile EV car that could do 45 mph (these are not high demands). That would be the perfect commuter for me. I hope this is the last gasoline engine I have to buy.