1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius plug-in: I'm converted

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not a fan of hybrids. Conceptually, I find them flawed, the idea of first having a battery supply power to an electric motor and then later using the gasoline engine to recharge the battery seems like a classic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Were it not for the energy recuperated during regenerative braking and coasting, hybrids would have little or no fuel economy advantage over a car powered by a similarly sized gasoline engine. It may come as a surprise to green acolytes, but all power to a hybrid’s wheels — except that regenerated by braking — comes from burning gasoline, either from the internal-combustion engine directly to the wheels or by that same motor recharging the battery.

Toyota Prius plug-in: I'm converted

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this looks just like an article somone wrote for the national enquirer.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe he's completely missed the concept of how hybrids work--by allowing lower power, but higher efficiency gas engines to be used without significant loss of torque/HP thanks to electric motors using an energy buffer...the battery. Regen has little benefit.

1 person likes this.
  4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get the huge attraction of the plug-in. My parents live (in a residential neighborhood, all single story houses and 2 story apartments) near a guy who had a plug in conversion done, with a big-nice person sticker on his car and a matching vanity plate. Thing is - I never see the thing actually plugged in. My parents have seen a wire going to the car only once while walking the dog.

5. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I really hate to think what kind of 0-60 acceleration I would have with only my ICE...

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. It's odd that he likes the PHV but not a hybrid (since it's basically a hybrid once the EV range is up)

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And he also missed the fact that energy regenerated during braking also came from burning gas. It all comes from burning gas.

Tom

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't get 'missing' the huge attraction of a PHEV. I don't get it because PHEV's:

Use less gas - & 1/2 of fuel is imported from countries that want to kill us - spending trillions in those countries so we can keep getting gas - money flows out of US - fuel dollars - national debt - fuel dollars aid terrorists who want to kill us because we're meddling in their countries affairs - more national debt to keep military in oilie countries ...

no ... I do get it. I hope for lots of converts.

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must have missed the fact that the guy who has one down the street NEVER PLUGS THE DAMN THING IN. That means there is NO BENEFIT. So yeah, I don't get it - you spent how much money so you could parade around and tell people you're the best person ever? I have a Prius and yet I don't feel the need to advertise how great I am.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    O I C ... the gripe is with just the one individual. sorry, it sounded as though PHEV's were not understandable. Well in a light most favorable, we have one guy at work who plugs in there ... saving his dollars by not using his own electricity. Who know ... unless you asked, maybe he does that? As for PHEV stickers? ... to each his/her own. I see newer Prius's with the word 'hybrid' stuck on the side. What ... folks can't tell when the Prius is shaped like a wedge of cheese? :p
    The dealer slaps on branding, because enough people want to "show it off". Isn't that why folks slap other (questionably) dumb things on? Giant speakers? Giant wheels? Giant engine noise? Giant chrome coffee can exhausts? No, folks DO feel some kind of identity via the thingie they transport in. Yet at its heart, it is just a thingie to get from point A to B.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops! Didn't see that one. Thanks!

Alright guys, continue in the other thread! (See link above in quote)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.