1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TOYOTA PRIUS READY SIGNAL BUT HAS NO POWER ON DRIVE OR REVERSE!,HELP

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Faisal, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    hey guys my toyota prius had the exclamation sign going through a car signal
    and then we replaced the big battery in the back of the trunk, and the small 12V battery. My car turns on and is on READY, but my car wont MOVE at all, not even slowly. my inverter coolant pump is not working also, i dont know what the problem is because my other car would drive even with the inverter coolant pump NOT working. so i dont think the inverter coolant pump is the problem(even though im going to replace it)
    Do you guys think it would be an inverter problem?? or transmission..?
    thanks.

By the way it is a 2002 Toyota prius. it also Turns on and is on READY mode.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    **Mod note ** Moved to Gen 1 forum.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Without the error codes and other metrics from the control computers, I have no idea. It sounds like the inverter may be failing so we'll need to sub-codes. It could as simple as an interlock signal missing.

Search the messages to see what has been found in the past. I remember one associated with an inverter interlock signal that passes through the microswitch by the orange plug and on to the HV ECU. A simple retry of the ignition switch seemed to bypass the block. But this would never a documented procedure in the Toyota manuals.

BTW, you might update your location. Sometimes this can lead to finding other, local Prius resources to help in the diagnosis and/or locating spare parts.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

4. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i already bought a spare INVERTER just 2 hours ago. and i replaced the water pump and it seems to me the OLD water pump was actually working, BUT no water is flowing through the coolant. what does this mean? i am going to try installing the spare inverter. i do not have any codes, i never got codes. but i have 30 day warranty on the BIG battery in the back so im going to switch the inverter then replace the big battery again to see if it works.
    Question:what is an interlock inverter switch? where can i RETRY it or RESET it? Thanks

5. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok The Switch your referring to is the the orange plug on the BIG battery in the back on the left side? i took the terminals off the 12v battery, then i took the orange plug out and put it back in and then locked it. and put the terminals back on. carl still does not RuN back or Forth, but it starts in Ready, and on DRIVE the engine makes a shutter sound but thats all. and coolant still does not flow but pump is running properly.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Comments inserted:
    * * * begin quoted material * * *
    i already bought a spare INVERTER just 2 hours ago. and i replaced the water pump and it seems to me the OLD water pump was actually working, BUT no water is flowing through the coolant. what does this mean?
    • Air bubble - bleeding air out of the inverter coolant loop is a pain in the nice person but critical.
    • Sounds like running but failed - it sounds like but is not spinning.
    • The coolant can form a gel and block the passage ways. Blow out the lines to make sure there are no obstructions. Include the coolant radiator mounting in front of the engine radiator.
    i am going to try installing the spare inverter. i do not have any codes, i never got codes.
    • Prius-aware scanners are not that common. What make and model?
    • What are the 19 module pair voltages from the traction battery?
    but i have 30 day warranty on the BIG battery in the back so im going to switch the inverter then replace the big battery again to see if it works.
    • Diagnosis of the problem(s) is more important than swapping parts.
    Question:what is an interlock inverter switch? where can i RETRY it or RESET it? Thanks

ok The Switch your referring to is the the orange plug on the BIG battery in the back on the left side? i took the terminals off the 12v battery, then i took the orange plug out and put it back in and then locked it. and put the terminals back on. carl still does not RuN back or Forth, but it starts in Ready, and on DRIVE the engine makes a shutter sound but thats all. and coolant still does not flow but pump is running properly.
    • Does the engine continue to run in "P"?
    • When the engine runs, does the power flow display show a charge going to the traction battery?
    • Does the engine shut off by itself after ~5 minutes?
    • How did you bleed the air from the inverter loop?
    * * * end quoted material * * *

Bob Wilson

7. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i havent used any scanners to solve the problem,
    as for the inverter pump i am going to try and blow the lines to see if any gel comes out. forgot to mention to you that the car has been in a junkyard for a while so maybe the lines ARE clogged.
    and the Engine runs on P, but then it stops,then it turns on again and runs, then stops.
    when i put the engine on D or R it does not MOVE AT ALL,so i know its not the BIG battery problem, someone else told me it can be the inverter/ and as for the power flow display showing a charge going to the traction battery, im going to check tomorrow morning also.
    what do you mean by how did i bleed the air from the inverter loop?

8. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    no i dont think the engine shuts off after less than 5 minutes. it keeps turning on and off. just like the other prius.
    but when i hit the accelerator on D, P, or R it makes a shuttering sound but doesnt move like if im taking a Picture with a camera but Louder. and the engine revs but no movement.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Prius is a computer operated car. We operate the computers but they make everything else work. Without a Prius-aware scanner to 'talk with the computers,' we are rapidly going to reach a point where stuff that isn't broke gets broken trying to swap with something else. It is that serious.

I don't mind that this car was retrieved from a junkyard. What I do mind is trying to diagnose a computer operated vehicle by ignoring the computers.

Look, you can buy a 'mini-VIC' via Ebay (~$30) and after the firmware update, it gives a full picture of what is going on in the car. You can buy a ScanGauge II ($150) and program in XGAUGEs to read out the diagnostic information. You can buy an "AutoEnginuity" ($500) and it provides all of the functions of the Toyota TechStream. You can even subscribe to Toyota's TIS service and get a TechStream-Lite diagnostic ($1,000-1,500.) There are reports of other 3d party diagnostic systems but I have not tested them.

I understand that trying to repair a car in an area with poor Prius support is not going to be fun or cheap. If worse comes to worse and there is a Toyota dealer, tow the car there and pay for a one-time dump of all codes and traction battery values, ($100-150 depending upon negotiating skills.)

Perhaps some of our collaborators here might have insights to share. I'm just rapidly running out until you get a Prius aware scanner. Ordinary scanners will only report emissions codes, not the ones needed to diagnose and fix a broken Prius.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

10. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok i am going to try and borrow one from autozone and ill let u knw what codes i come up with if i do

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The NHW11 uses ISO-9141/KWP2000 protocol, just the "L" and "K" lines along with power from the OBD connector. If the scanner tries to 'auto discover' the protocol, the attempt at CANbus testing can induce false codes on the brake controller computer. They look bad but harmless . . . don't panic.

Just disconnect the 12V ground for half a minute to clear all codes. Then restart the car to generate the recurring errors.

Then go back to the scanner manual and see if you can force it to use ISO-9141/KWP2000. If the unit is not half-bad, you'll be in good shape. But it is unlikely their over-the-counter scanners will be able to get the Prius-aware codes needed.

When I was testing over-the-counter OBD scanners, I first asked 'what is your return policy.' When they failed, I took them back without a twinge. Inferior products should be returned!

Bob Wilson

12. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    hey man so i changed the inverter and the engine is still turning on and off every 5 seconds on P... on D and R it is still making a shuttering sound, do you think this must be a transmission shifter switch by any chance?
    oh and to mention, out of nowhere in 2 minutes the engine became louder(like it was accelarating more; on P)
    and as for the coolant inverter pump,it is still functioning but no cycling or flowing can be seen in the pump

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well you've stumped me.

Bob Wilson

14. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    so i guess im screwed? ill be returning this inverter and reinstalling my old inverter back since that wasnt the problem, it took me about an hour and a half to do.anyways, we are going to check and see if we can get someone who has a scanner to see whats wrong with it by codes. the guy who changed my big battery told us it was reading an inverter problem,but now that isnt the case since i already tried another one

15. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Its hard to GUESS without codes ,but I am gonna suggest that it will be your transmission that is bad.. Also can you let us know where you are located as there are folks on here who will help each other out..Let us know what the codes are please..

16. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i am located in westminster ,ca. crossing roads brookhurst and hazard. if you know anyone that can help.
    WHILE i was at work today @yotototer : my dad called me and told me that he told the guy that fixed my battery and said my inverter was bad that we had fixed the inverter, the guy then told us it should be our transmission TRANSMISSION that is bad now.. so to fix the transmission now. so basically we are now looking for a cheap transmission,. i do not know how to fix it and i am 18 but if no one can, then im going to try to fix it myself just like i tried to fix my inverter and inverter pump.. so if you know anyone who has a transmission that is cheap for 2002 toyota prius hybrid, please let me know. or anyone that is willing to help.

17. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i still do not know where to get a scanner to check the codes but this guy that fixed my big battery in the back told us that the scanner was pointing to the inverter but now since we changed the inverter he said it should be the transmission.

18. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    check with car-part.com they sometimes have something thats priced fair. Sorry I am not in your area or I would offer to help you out..Goodluck ..let us know what happens..

19. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    do you know where i can get a manual that will guide me on how to replace a transmission?
    and what is the difference between transmission and transaxle? i saw on a sticky theres a post on how to replace transaxle.. is that the same way to replace a transmission?> and it doesnt show the part of where he does work on taking the transmission out. only pictures of him with it on and with it out. idk what bolts to take out.

20. Faisal

Faisal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i checked car part but i dont seem to figure out how to look for the transmission,there is no option, or maybe there is just no transmission available for the car at the moment...?