1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius reliability survey results

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by mkaresh, Feb 24, 2008.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

The latest TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results have been posted. These are for the year ending December 31, 2007.

Repair rates are again very low for model years 2005 to 2007. The repair rate for the 2004 has increased to 39 successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, but this is still better than average for a 2004 model. The result for the 2004 is based on just 19 responses, so it is asterisked. The sample sizes for other years ranged from 47 to 57.

We've also posted a result for the 2008. With 34 owners responding, none reported a repair. Others won't have reliability info on the 2008 Prius until June or even October.

The survey covered through the end of 2007. Any repairs that were completed in January or February won't be included until the next update, in May. With TrueDelta's process, we'll be able to report any change in repair rates soon after it happens.

Everyone who has been helping out with this research, thank you. Those who aren't yet helping out, please consider doing so. I'd like to eliminate the asterisk on the 2004 and report results for the first-gen Prius.

Other results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you tell us what's involved in being part of the survey? Can it be done anonymously? Will we get junk mail?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far I have not recieved any junk mail. :)

I admit that I have neglected the emails for the survey and missed adding my input though. :(

4. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

The details of what is involved are here:

Vehicle reliability research

Those who respond promptly get two emails per month, one for the survey and one on site news. Those who don't respond get a series of follow-up emails. Hate to send them, so the system is programmed to learn who needs them and who doesn't.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When i tried your links all I got was web page can not be found????

6. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

The server was down for about an hour yesterday evening. Very sorry about that. I was spending time with my kids and failing to babysit the server. Fixed now.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No junk mail. Once or twice a month you get a short email asking you to report whether you needed to visit the dealer for any repairs. If not, you can click on a link and you won't get any additional emails for that month.

Its about as easy and respectful of your time as it could possibly be.

I have been participating in the 2007 Prius survey. I have not had any repairs other than wheel alignment which is excluded as a repair event.

8. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Thanks, dogfriend. Very nicely put.

The only correction I would offer is that people who respond within the first 5-7 days never see a follow-up email after the first 4-6 months. The system is programmed to learn who needs the follow-ups.

Before this kicks in, as you say there's a link to "check in" with, to avoid any follow-ups.

Aside from the email with links to the survey, there's a second monthly email that contains site news.

I've tried to strike a good balance between the number of emails and the quality of the results. It's not easy.

9. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks. I enrolled, and await a confirmation email.

I have had nothing but scheduled maintenance and normal wear and tear (tires) on my 2004 Prius, approaching 70,000 miles.

For some reason, I have not been able to access priuschat using IE7 for quite some time, but I finally tried Firefox.

10. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

I use IE7 without a problem.