1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Prius - Special Service Campaign (Steering Shaft Assembly Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmsusa, May 30, 2006.

1. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    Hello from TMS USA. Today we provided information to our dealers and the NHTSA about a voluntary special service campaign Toyota will conduct for certain 2004 through early 2006 MY Prius involving the steering shaft assembly.

Toyota dealers will receive detailed technical information around June 5, and we anticipate sending out owner notifications about one week after that. There are about 170,000 Prius vehicles involved in the U.S., and the service procedure involves replacing a portion of the steering shaft assembly that could potentially become loose under certain operating conditions.

We've not had any reported cases of this condition in any Prius vehicle but did want to initiate this action to ensure the highest levels of vehicle quality and customer satisfaction. We're also interested in getting accurate information out to consumers, customers and other Prius enthusiasts via nontraditional means, such as through important discussion forums like this.

More detailed information will be available from our dealers as well as our Customer Experience Center at 800-331-4331.

Hope this helps clarify some of the speculation posted elsewhere re the global actions taken related to this by our parent TMC in Japan.

1 person likes this.
  2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I called the 800 number earlier today, and there was a recorded message about the recall which said that notices would be mailed out in June. I'd look for it around the middle of the month.....

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Thanks Toyota.

It's *great* that they are posting in the forum.

4. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ May 30 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]263117[/snapback]</div>
    You're welcome. For those that are concerned and worried about whether their vehicle is affected, the units in question were built from August 2003 to November 2005. And as a reminder, there have been no cases of this condition reported nor any accidents involving affected vehicles which may relate to this condition.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hello TMS-

thank you for stepping up and providing input to our community, it really demonstrates the "above and beyond" approach to your customers.

my husband is a tech at Mark Jacobson in NC- dealer code 32127. any info you could provide on what to expect for them would be greatly appreciated. as you probably know, they're among the top national sellers of prius, and along with that goes a huge service committment. he and his colleagues would like to know what to expect.

what is the SSC number of this recall? will there be a parts inspection or just replacement? is June 5 the date that info will be posted on TIS?

he's thrilled to see involvement on toyota's part in this site, as many others will be. we may be the biggest research group Toyota has!

this kind of response is what makes him so proud to work for Toyota. no other manufacturer has demonstrated this amount of concern after the sale. thanks.

[ps: any advanced details on the 08 prius? ;)]

6. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow. Volvo wouldn't have done this; service was like pulling teeth (mine, not theirs). Sounds like I *may* be in the bunch affected, but I'll wait for the snail mail notice. Thanks.

7. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

I think I'll pass on this recall. I never make hard turns at slow speeds or at any speed. I drive my Prius like your grandma would drive it.

Thanks for the info, TMS.

8. powrfuel

powrfuel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IndyDoug @ May 30 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]263133[/snapback]</div>

Toyota's position is exactly why I bought a Prius (among other reasons). They stand behind their product and when something goes wrong, they stand up, tell it like it is and correct it, Bravo. Are the big three American compmaies listening?

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IndyDoug @ May 30 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]263133[/snapback]</div>
    Conversely, I think I will take up Toyota's offer to check my car - for free :) . . . isn't that always a good thing? :huh:

Am I missing something here? How does one go from “. . . steering shaft assembly that could potentially become loose under certain operating conditions.” to “. . . I never make hard turns at slow speeds or at any speed.”

Did you read that somewhere and not post your source, or are you just assuming? <_<

10. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2006 Prius built November 5, 2005. I take it my car could be in the list as well. I will wait for my letter for more information. Thank you.

One question I do have...

Your info states you have a 2006 Prius. However you also state you have option #9. From my information option #8 is the highest available for the 2006. Was it merely a typo? Just curious.

Again, thank you for your interaction. A very positive sign. Obviously there are other questions that could be discussed in this type of way. It would be good, if you find this a positive experience, that more of this could occur.

Cheers

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a very hard turn of the wheel or a curb impact, or other very hard impact could cause a crack in or some other problem with this assembly. to reiterate though, the likelihood of this happening in any situation is very low- especially considering that it hasn't happened to anyone yet. in normal driving it's not much to worry about. it's more of a preventive measure to make sure it doesn't happen.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

lets be real about this "I'm not getting mine done" stuff. If you don't and you have an accident and it's traceable back to this recall and your's hasn't been done and you received the letter, your on the hook for it not Toyota. Saftey recalls are done in your best interest.

13. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ May 30 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]263180[/snapback]</div>
    Option #9 is the one with the CA HOV lane stickers! Actually my '06 Prius does have those, thank goodness, but I think the #9 designation is a typo. As I recall, when I registered again new so as to be able to post some information as a representative of Toyota, the 2006 and option #9 fields were there as if by default, and I did not think to question it. Thanks--and, yes, I would just hold off doing anything until you receive our owner notification letter.

14. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 06:36 PM) [snapback]263126[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your comments/input. This is known as Special Service Campaign "60C" and we did provide some advanced information to all Toyota dealers earlier today via our Dealer Daily communications network. The dealer notification containing Technical Instructions and other specifics necessary to conduct this campaign effectively will be communicated to dealers by June 5.

About one week after that, we will begin sending notifications to our Prius customers, about 170,000 total in daily mailings extended over a five to six week time period. The actual service involved to complete the procedure on affected Prius will average about one hour.

Re any inside info on the '08 Prius, I've often found that many of the members and Prius enthusiasts frequenting PRIUSCHAT are extremely well-informed and knowledgeable about all things Prius . . .So I, myself, anxiously await "advanced" news here!

Consumer-generated media may be viewed as an annoying challenge for some companies in a highly competitive marketplace, but the fact is it is emerging as a lightning fast communications space that really benefits consumers & business alike. We're embracing it, hence TMS USA jumping into this forum to not only proactively inform, but to listen also.

15. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While this question is for TMS, anybody who knows, please feel free to chime in. I bought my car at Quality Toyota in Corona, CA. I have since moved and the closest dealer to me now is Puente Hills Toyota. Does it mattter which dealer I go to to have my car inspected? I took delivery of my 05 in August 05, car was produces in June,05 so i'm definitely on the list. I can't imagine how Puente Hills Toyota would have my name on their list of Prius owners. Should I just call Quality?

16. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ May 31 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]263274[/snapback]</div>
    It makes no difference where you take your Prius (as long as it's an authorized Toyota dealer). Our owner notification letters are sent out by us based on our ownership information of record. If you are concerned that we may not have your current address on file, call us at 800-331-4331 and we will ensure you're current.

17. Prakash

Prakash New Member

I have an 04 Prius Package 4 I believe. In any case, I wanted to extend my deepest thanks to TMS for releasing the information in a such a timely manner. A clear demonstration of the "moving foward" motto. I am taking my 04 in tommorow for a requested 35k service.

Thanks once again for the information.

Good Day.

-Kash

18. momstoys

momstoys New Member

Will Toyota.com etc do the notifying or are we hopelessly dependent upon the dealership or our own initiative?

19. wmgolden

wmgolden New Member

I just received my 2006 prius last Tuesday. How do I know when it was made to see if it is part of the recall?

20. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota "corporate" is responsible for sending the notifications, not individual dealers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stone @ May 31 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]263346[/snapback]</div>
    The VIN ranges are listed elsewhere on this forum, but I'd suggest just waiting until you receive a letter. Once you receive the letter, you will know for certain if you are affected and the dealer will be ready at that point to apply the fix.