1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Project BLAID - solves 'Bell the Hybrid'

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Mar 9, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Wearable Mobility Device for the Blind and Visually Impaired Being Developed by Toyota | Corporate

San Jose, Calif. (March 7, 2016) – Mobility is empowering. That’s why Toyota is working to develop a wearable device for the blind and visually impaired that will help them do more with greater freedom, independence and confidence. Called Project BLAID, it reflects the company’s commitment to enrich lives by advancing the freedom of mobility for all.

The device will help fill the gaps left by canes, dogs and basic GPS devices by providing users with more information about their surroundings. Worn around their shoulders, it will help users better navigate indoor spaces, such as office buildings and shopping malls, by helping them identify everyday features, including restrooms, escalators, stairs and doors.

The device will be equipped with cameras that detect the user’s surroundings and communicate information to him or her through speakers and vibration motors. Users, in turn, will be able to interact with the device through voice recognition and buttons. Toyota plans to eventually integrate mapping, object identification and facial recognition technologies.

“Project BLAID is one example of how Toyota is leading the way to the future of mobility, when getting around will be about more than just cars,” said Simon Nagata, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, Toyota Motor North America. “We want to extend the freedom of mobility for all, no matter their circumstance, location or ability.”
    . . .

The video is beautiful but I think it needs a narrative or even a separate audio-only designed for the blind. As sighted, we can tell the size but the blind would have no hard data so I called them:

Hi Bob, here are the links to the video with audio descriptions for the blind. Thanks! Amy

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    ftl likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice idea. seems odd for an auto company though. i hope it works out well for those afflicted.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've put the 'blind' version in the first post. In our phone call, I mentioned that this dovetails with their automotive safety systems like lane keeping and accident avoidance. Just as they are making our cars safer, they are making pedestrians safer too.

Bob Wilson

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to tell from that video how far along the product is as far as being something of applicable use and value in the real world.
    I mean how well does it adapt outside of a testing environment?
    How often would it fail or misidentify? The problem would be risk and danger.

But it's a great idea. And hopefully someday becomes a fantastic aid to the blind.

I think it's far too early and probably unfair to both the blind and Toyota to call it something that solves the "Bell The Hybrid" issue.

At this point? My guess is that his guide dog is a far more valuable tool and friend than the BLAID.

I think as Prius owners we're blessed with the George Jetson Proximity Notification System for a while longer.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We have (or did have) blind contributors here. Hope one drops by with comments.

+++

Lots of pedestrians become 'blind' while texting/walking. Make a phone app that helps prevent one from walking into something. Market is yuuuge.