1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota, QNX And Others Adopt Ford’s SmartDeviceLink Platform

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Jan 4, 2016.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Boo, hiss.

Toyota, QNX And Others Adopt Ford’s SmartDeviceLink Platform For Connecting Mobile Apps And Cars | TechCrunch

"artDeviceLink, Ford’s open-source technology for connecting mobile apps with in-car interfaces, is getting a few important new backers today. After spending a few months on studying the technology, which makes it easier for mobile app developers to use a car’s built-in buttons and voice recognition, Toyota now says it will adopt this technology in its cars in the near future.Automotive suppliers QNX Software Systems and UIEvolution will also adopt the technology."

"The idea behind SmartDeviceLink is to give developers a single platform for allowing drivers to interact with their mobile apps through the dashboard buttons, displays and voice recognition features in their cars. SmartDeviceLink is essentially the open-source version of Ford’s AppLink, which is now a built-in part of its Sync 3 infotainment platform."

Toyota, QNX partner with Ford to challenge Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - CNET
    "It's beginning to become a bit of a foregone conclusion in the minds of many that the dashboard, one of the most important aspects of a car, will soon be controlled not by the vehicle manufacturer but by the driver's smartphone. However, automakers aren't keen to give up that valuable real estate without a fight."

Toyota chooses Ford over Apple, will eschew CarPlay in favor of SmartDeviceLink
    "Toyota's announcement comes nearly a year after the company first discussed its plans not to adopt CarPlay, despite being one of the first automakers to sign on. "We may all eventually wind up [with CarPlay or Android Auto], but right now we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms for those kinds of functions," a Toyota spokesperson said at the time."

#1 ggood, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh well, can it be worse than entune?

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just want choice. The likelihood of Toyota ever doing anything useful in this particular area are slim to none, based on prior history. Whatever they do will probably be a closed system, even though Ford's system is theoretically open sourced. That means no developers will be creating anything interesting for Toyota. I'm about ready to sell my stock, based on Mirai, 2016 Prius (I predict no increase in Prius sales and a possible decline), and this bone head move. After living with it awhile, I still say the new Camry is boring as heck. I see no signs of hope for this company.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tough to predict the future, but investing in something you don't believe in is probably a bad idea. when was the camry not boring?

5. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not, but it may add another layer or two. I'm picturing Toyota using Ford's open-source SmartDeviceLink to publish EnTune elements. Perhaps offering a CarPlay/Android Auto extra cost option when it's available within SDL in 2017.

iPhone 8 Bluetooth not syncing, who you gonna' call?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm reading this correctly, SDL might be the most flexible as it does not require you to have an Apple or Android device and it may allow the interface to look the same when you switch phone platform. The cloud-link may just be a more advanced version of the blackbox, however.

CarPlay and AndroidAuto take you out of the manufacturer's interface and loads a completely separate interface.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well Ford is allowing Android and CarPlay in, so it must be possible one way or the other. Doesn't seem like Toyota wants to go that route, though.

On a related note, an NPR story today about this years blockbuster car sales said one reason was people's desire to get the latest tech, particularly the young millennials. Said they wanted to lease rather than buy, for the same reason (future upgrades). I've said the same thing here for years, so I must be a clever guy! ;) One thing Toyota has done right lately is their AI initiative. Apparently they just named someone to head that up.

#7 ggood, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having an industry-standard is a great thing. It means that it will be far easier for Apple and Google and anyone else to develop for a common standard. How can this not be better than what we have now? Toyota's a little late as usual, but earlier to at least mention adopting the standard than I would have thought. Ford is being great by making it open source, and going one better as to offer upgrades to many of their existing cars.

It should be a huge benefit to everyone to not worry about whether their device will work or not. Now I don't intend to use much of it at all, at least I have no plans to. After being one of the earliest adopters of phones in cars, a pretty early adopter of a smartphone, I grew weary of sending so much money to a carrier each month. Looking at both cable and smartphone bills, I started cutting my ties. I can't even imagine paying for a plan where my car would use my cellphone connection for whatever purpose. For $10 a month or so, I can use a tablet to suit my needs, my new Touch does pretty much all I need now. But I think this standard is good for the consumer, and good for all the players as well.