1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota quality gets dinged

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by malorn, Jan 9, 2007.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota has just very quietly settled a class-action lawsuit on their sludge problem. I find it interesting just how hard it is to find this story in the news so far. Can you imagine if it was Ford or GM? The media would be screaming about it form every soapbox they could find. 7.5 million potential plantiffs.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007...settlement.html

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 9 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]373005[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe the class action isn't getting lot of coverage because Toyota already acknowledged the problem back in 2002 and created the Customer Support Program to deal with it.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/0...yota-sludge.htm

The lawsuit says that the vehicles covered by the Toyota/Lexus program were defective, leading
    to oil gel and expensive repairs and other expenses. It also says Toyota/Lexus did not
    describe the benefits of the Customer Support Program to customers.

The settlement extends the exisiting Customer Support Program and allows re-evaluation of claims by a neutral third party. The settlement (which applies to some 1997-2002 models -- no Priuses) can be read at: http://www.oilgelsettlement.com

It probably didn't get much coverage because it was just a footnote to an older story.

And that same consumeraffairs.com site contains some pretty ridiculous Prius stories:

"if everyone drove a battery-equipped hybrid today, there would be a huge toxic waste problem"
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_prius.html

and

A Prius Rampage!
    "A Toyota Prius rampaged out of control on a Michigan highway recently, endangering the driver as well as those nearby."
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006...us_rampage.html

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 9 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]373005[/snapback]</div>
    To what do you attribute this massive news media conspriracy? I have trouble remembering any car lawsuit like this being that much of a news item. Got evidence for a similar GM or Ford news item that made the news big time? I suspect this might get some airplay once the details are finalized, but for now there are funny smells and dead birds to worry about in the news, and Howard Stern's bonus, too.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 9 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]373020[/snapback]</div>
    Not a conspiracy just a result of the expectation level and Toyota incredible spin machine.

5. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 9 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]373023[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I mean class action settlements are so exciting to the general public. Thankfully, GM's spin machine must have been working to keep word of Shea Class Action Settlement out of the media. I'm sure it was a spin machine ;) , not the fact that the story's just dull.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 9 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]373026[/snapback]</div>
    A dull story? Toyota potentially fixing 3.3 million engines? Shea lawsuit is very dull, Toyota owing up to potentially millions of faulty engines is not. ;)

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 9 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]373023[/snapback]</div>
    Oh please. I remember seeing TV news articles about the Prius recall for the steering shaft. Maybe the spin machine was broken that week? Oddly enough, I've not seen anything on FOX, CNN, or MSNBC about this lawsuit either:

http://www.c2lawfirm.com/litigation_updates/pistonslap.jsp

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 9 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]373033[/snapback]</div>
    This is not a class-action lawsiut in which the manufacturer has admitted guilt. Huge difference.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this is old news.

if you note, the article is mainly describing problems with donkey dealerships, and it even says right in there that toyota has admitted fault years ago. DH's dealer fixes sludged engines from those particular named cars/model years under that extended sludge warranty without a problem.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 9 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]373037[/snapback]</div>

It seems every defendant settles without admitting guilt. GM's position is probably "the piston is supposed to slap the cylinder wall". Ford tells its customers to park their vehicles outside so if the cruise control sets it on fire their house won't burn down. But they insist there isn't anything wrong and won't recall.

11. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Didn't even read it. Saw that it came from consumeraffairs.com, that was enough for me.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jan 9 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]373391[/snapback]</div>

Hahaha!

malorn, your hard-on for GM is simply amazing. It disgusts even me and I've owned, modified, and raced a Trans Am, a C5, and an ext.cab Z71 in the last 7 years. I'm also a mod on performancetrucks.net, Norcal-LS1.com and post at LS1tech.com, TurboBuick.com, LS2.com, LS1.com, and Corvetteforum.com. Even I recognize the simple fact I'm on a Prius forum and waving the GM flag here is kind of pointless. :)

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Jan 12 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]374594[/snapback]</div>
    Chevy is in my blood. over 75 years in the family. :D I can't help it. I more excited about GM's future right now than any time in my professional career. NA autoshow is awesome for GM! Product, Product, Product!

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 12 2007, 08:10 AM) [snapback]374657[/snapback]</div>
    Hahaha :D

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Jan 12 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]374749[/snapback]</div>
    :D :D :D The car business is great about 90 % of the time!

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 12 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]374750[/snapback]</div>
    lol

You guys better have something to show up here in Canada. To be honest, the reps at the autoshows weren't exactly the most enthusiastic (as I'm sure you've read in the G6 thread in FHOP or something about my experience with a GM rep). How is it I can get the keys to the locked Lexus at the autoshow but can't even get a look at the G6's multi-panel roof?

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Jan 12 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]374657[/snapback]</div>
    I'm happy for you.

I hope you retire when you wish, live a comfortable life and die contented at an advanced age. All hopefully before GM executives flush what was once one of the best auto companies, into the toilet. (Yes, I think they should all be fired and replaced with fresh blood that can think outside the box and look beyond profit and the next fiscal quarter.)