1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Quality Program - YEAAAAA!!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 5, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is awesome news and what will propel Toyota beyond the competition in the next decade:

Newsroom : Toyota Motor Corporation President Akio Toyoda Announces Global Quality Task Force / Toyota

In this case, I was compelled to post the whole press release. I'm less interested in 'flash in the pan' events as much as seeing a long term, sustained commitment to quality and customer communications. Please, no disrespect for Team Toyota ... you have done a great job but now your past efforts can be amplified and shared with a broader community. Your lessons learned should lead to a much improved program.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    4) Support from Outside Experts - Toyota will seek confirmation and evaluation from outside experts—in line with the industry's best practices—of its newly improved quality control management, based on the above improvements.

bob..........toyota needs you

1 person likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is really great news.

It's exactly what Toyota has to do, and also let people know they are doing.

My only questions would be the definition of "Improved Regional Autonomy"? I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I admire, respect and support fully Toyotas international investment but as far as regional autonomy goes sometimes I think it works against Toyota.

I don't like how different versions, accessories and options are available in different regions. We get this available here, They get this available there and never do the two meet.

Also it seems to me that the regional autonomy of a non-Japanese suplier is exactly how you ended up with only a fractured regionally based recall.

I guess I Love Regional Autonomy...but I also want increased centralized attention to detail. Too many cooks spoil the broth. There needs to be autonomy but also a central command structure that oversee's everything.

I just would want a clearer definition of what "improving regional autonomy" actually means.

The "listen to each and every customer and improve quality" doesn't need any comment. GO TOYOTA! But this must tangibly translate into reality...talk is cheap.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And if they stick with that plan after all the dust settles, they will be #1 again.

5. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll believe when I see it.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has a VERY long history of backing up what they say they'll do with real action. I have no doubt they'll follow through.

7. Jim05

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That reputation was a key reason for me to buy a Prius. My real concern, especially after having lived in Japan for 13 years, is that their most recent actions suggest they may have abandoned (even if only temporarily) a core part of their very culture as well as some things that took them years to build (quality and customer service culture).

Culture change (corporate or otherwise) takes commitment at all levels, and merely printing them for everyone to see does not instill it. I'm waiting to see the actions behind, such as my dealer fixing things rather than blaming Toyota for not allowing the dealer to actually test things in more than one way.

I am nearly rear-ended about once a week (skidding tire sounds behind me are a good clue) due to brake lights that do not come on until well into braking, and the dealer is handcuffed because Toyota guidance is that as long as the brake lights come on, the car is ok -- regardless of how much deceleration (beyond regen) is taking place. That tells me that quality and customer service are not part of the Toyota corporate culture.

I honestly believe it will take them 5-10 years to turn around, especially given the current world economy and corporate focus on quarterly statements. I also believe they can do it, but won't believe it until I see some results. I've seen too many people and organization make promises they don't have the wherewithal to live up to, so am extremely pragmatic.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you to the extent that as I said, Talk is Cheap...

But Toyota gets a chance to make changes.

I also feel that you can improve things relatively quickly.

I also give Toyota credit from the standpoint that I don't think they are starting at the bottom. Depsite the problems with the pedals, I think Toyota is producing good product today.

Should they re-evaluate and improve? Certainly, but the public needs to at least give them the chance.

You're right that simply printing or stating a goal or series of goals doesn't really mean much...but it is a first step and given Toyota's history I think it more likely that they learn from this, then not. Would I say the same about other manufacturers...I don't think so.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At the risk of being contrary, I'd say that Toyota's problem partially is that its products have historically been of very high quality.

Then, when the rare problem happens, i.e., V6 engine oil gel, it's hard for the company to react to the problem in a way that I would consider customer-friendly. A class action settlement was needed before the company would take care of its customers who made "reasonable maintenance efforts".

With Classic Prius, Toyota was very generous in offering post-warranty support for issues such as rapid tire wear, traction battery, transaxle, electric steering gear, etc. Much more than I would have thought was prudent.

However in recent years it seems that the product warranty has been more rigidly enforced, as Prius volume became mainstream. A recent example is the HID headlight issue where Toyota's relief was to charge only $150 per bulb and refund charges for the headlamp electronics that did not need to be replaced.

It will be interesting to see whether there are any tangible results from the quality program cited in the OP.

10. Jim05

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I definitely agree they are much better positioned than others to make the needed changes. I guess I've just been a "Trust but verify" type for too long :).

11. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Come clean, refocus, and build a better company. I love my 2010 G3V.

12. Jim05

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Standing behind one's product has long been important to any business, and good, bad or otherwise, high quality has become a market entry requirement -- especially in the automobile marketplace. In Toyota's case, they have long stood behind their products, as you articulate very well. Unfortunately, when you iron out the major quality problems, what's left are the hard ones -- such as sticky accelerators and scary brakes. I believe Toyota will do as they say in their statement, but will always wonder after the braking issue what else they've secretly fixed without letting existing customers know about it. I guess one could say that it's their integrity that has come into question more than anything.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I suppose that's possible. Then again, some GM fans have continued to buy GM products through decades of poor quality (tho it's finally getting better), while GM continues to spin that their product is "American" though much is built elsewhere, and then there's running the company into the ground (the tab goes us U.S. taxpayers) ... which meant hundreds of acres at numerous abandoned manufacturing sites were left with toxic pollution that will require super fund clean ups (while they run commercials how 'green' GM is) ... more of our tax dollars to do their job. Factoring how GM fans forgive, & overlook that and more, that it may take 10 years for Toyota to do a "turn around"? That's hard to reconcile.

Then there's the simple 'ask the local dealer' method. A couple folks where I work, as well as my self, have asked local dealers if their dealerships are/were hurt. The consensus is "some, but not too horribly". So at least here locally, the dealerships don't have tumble weeds blowing across the landscape. Not that it might not happen down the road.

Me neither . . . I'm not interested in the recall, as my ride's wonderful. I just got a recall for our floor mats. They're fine. They've been fine for coming up on 6 years, and I'm bettin' the farm they'll be fine for years to come . . . so ... oh, that's not what you meant?

;)

14. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    seconded. ;)

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought Toyota had a very long history of building quality, reliable transportation?

Doc ,with all due respect, I bet a month ago you would have also said Toyota would never be forced by the US Dept of Transportation to stop production and cease selling 60% of their vehicles either. The thing that will get most of you is the cover up that is gradually going to unfold in the coming weeks. The dealers have known about this for over a year.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A GM dealer raging on Toyota quality? Don't get me started on tailgate cable failures, rotors cracking, seat mounts breaking, pistons slapping, premature catalytic converter failure, steering column lockup, and all of the horrors of the 4L60E transmissions. :rolleyes:

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you want to find out the truth, contact a dealer who has say a ford and Toyota store or a Chevy and a Toyota store. Ask him/her who has better prodcut, who has more problems and whose company cares more. I dare you.

18. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

ouch. :(

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wasn't it the stepside that had the minor thing too? You know ... like that PINTO minor thing? (BOOM) Yep ... don't cast stones in your glass house.

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to dare. I've driven them all and raced them for years. I have enough proof from experience in various car clubs as well as selling car audio and performance parts where GM and Ford truck owners were our most common customers..

3 Mustangs
    5 Chevy/GMC trucks
    1 Corvette
    1 Trans Am
    2 Camaros

And all of the experience gained from over 15yrs of racing and hanging out race tracks and enthusiast/racing forums.