1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota recalls all current model Priuses in Japan

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by au_prius, Feb 6, 2010.

1. au_prius

au_prius Australian Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Yomiuri Shinbun newspaper in Japan has a news story announcing that Toyota has decided to recall ALL current model Prius vehicles that have been sold in Japan.

The original article is available at:

www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/news/20100206-OYT1T01117.htm

Please find below my translation of the article (Google Translate didn't quite cut the mustard....). I would expect an official announcement from Toyota USA and other countries shortly.

I must say that when my NHW20 Prius bites the dust, I'll still be lining up to buy a Prius.... let's hope Toyota learns its lesson and we don't see a repeat of this scenario in the future.

-----
    New Model Prius: Recall of all vehicles within Japan

In a communication to dealers in Japan, Toyota Motor Corporation announced on 6 Feb. that they would recall all current model Prius cars that have been sold in Japan, due to problems arising with its braking system.

Toyota will formally announce the recall in the first half of the following week, once it finalises arrangements with the Japan Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT).

According to Japanese regulations, car models which do not meet regulatory standards for safety due to defects in design or manufacturing must be reported to the MLIT and are subject to recall. Toyota considered repairing Prius models under a "Service Campaign", however, Toyota saw restoring customer confidence as a high priority and decided to proceed with the more rigorous option of a recall. Under the recall, Toyota will modify the programming of the ABS control software, which was the reason for the braking problems.

Since going on sale in May 2009, more than 300,000 examples of the current model Prius have been sold outside Japan in the US and 60 other countries and regions. Toyota is expected to recall Prius models sold in these countries and regions, and provide repairs at no cost in a similar manner to the recall in Japan.

It was reported on 3 Feb. that Toyota was aware of more than 100 cases in the US and Japan of complaints of poor braking effectiveness. Confidence in the company has been strongly affected by the revelation that Toyota had incorporated improvements into Prius models manufactured from late January 2010 onwards to address the braking problems, well before the company publicly announced that there were problems with the model. Toyota President Akio Toyoda announced at an emergency press conference on Feb. 5 that specific measures to address problems with the Prius would be announced shortly.

----

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup. We already knew this was coming. Of course, some still don't understand why it didn't happen immediately, rather than quickly taking care of the home market first where there are more of them and also dealing with the non-Prius acceleration recall at the very same time. Patience.

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's inevitable here too then I suppose. However, you're wrong John about "we" knew this was coming. I've heard many here contend it's STILL just driver ignorance or lack of hybrid driving experience...I'm sure they never saw it coming.