1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota replacing coolant pump in 650,000 Prius hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a_gray_prius, Nov 30, 2010.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It only took over 2 years of complaints on PriusChat for Toyota to take action, but now Toyota has announced that they will be replacing the water pump in 378,000 2004-2007 Prius vehicles to fix the 6 year old problem that causes the water pump to make annoying noises and eventually fail. For the thousands of Prius owners who have already paid out of pocket for their water pump replacement, Toyota will include instructions for reimbursement in the mailer that will go out beginning early December 2010. We're working to find out more specific information on what the reimbursement procedures will be as this will be of great interest to many PriusChatters. Toyota's press release is below:
    Toyota Announces Limited Service Campaign of Certain 2004-2007 Prius Vehicles Toyota Motor Corporation announced it will repair 378,000 Prius vehicles in the United States from model years 2004-2007 to correct a possible water-pump condition that could cause coolant to overheat resulting in reduced power output. “The water pump is part of a system designed to cool the hybrid powertrain components and is separate from the engine cooling system,” said John Hanson, Toyota Motor Sales National Manager of Environmental, Quality and Safety Communications. “A fault in the water pump can cause air bubbles to build up and disrupt the flow of coolant, which can lead to overheating.” The heating of the components could trigger the check engine light “on” condition. If the temperature of the hybrid components becomes too high, the vehicle will enter “fail-safe mode” to prevent hybrid component damage. This customer support campaign is not a recall as Toyota has determined it is not a safety issue and the company has not received any reports of accidents or injuries related to this condition. Owners of the involved vehicles will be notified by first class mail beginning in early December 2010. Toyota dealers will replace the water pump with a newly designed one at no charge to the vehicle owner as long as the owner arranges for service before Nov. 30, 2013. Owners who have previously paid for repairs to address this specific condition should refer to the owner letter for instructions regarding reimbursement. Detailed information and answers to questions are available to customers at the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371. ​

2. nata$

nata$ New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dang it I had to have mine replaced 3 weeks ago!. I know this has happened to a lot of other owners too. I wonder if Toyota will refund my some of my cost which was about $400.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Took Pearl in this morning for the engine coolant pump (belt driven water pump). They tell me it's warranty. I asked about the inverter coolant pump (which they call the "hybrid system coolant pump") and was told in Canada they are going to do the replacement but they're not ready yet. So only one pump gets replaced today.

Of course, this is the first time Pearl has been to a Toyota dealer since the floor mat debacle so I was asked if they could perform the pedal cut. I said no, so they asked me to sign a "decline box", just so Toyota Canada knows it was offered to me. They're still cutting. Don't have a replacement pedal assembly yet (and I would also decline that).

You know I hate to be negative, but I worked for the government for years. The thing they are best at is covering their behinds. Toyota is doing the pedal nonsense to appease the govt.

Some would call it a "conspiracy". It's not, it's spinning to justify a position of employment.
    Same spin is used in calling the "hybrid system coolant pump replacement" a "Customer satisfaction Campaign" rather than a recall, which is what it is. -I- would call it a "stop legal action campaign".

But they are keeping me happy so I guess their name is ok. ;)

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would love to make a deal with Toyota: they give me SLLC, and I use the pump on my shelf and change it out myself.

5. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Me Too! I just took mine in this morning, I never had the gas pedal changed so they have two jobs to do today. Of course they tried to sell me all kinds of services including replacing the coolant. I said " You were planning on putting the old coolant back in?" He said no. LOL.

6. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is this the same thing as the "inverter coolant pump?" I just had to have mine replaced three months ago at $660. I expect to be compensated.

7. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Some of"?

We better get a lot more than "some of." :)

8. nata$

nata$ New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope we do. I have also had the water pump replaced under warranty over the summer. :(

9. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow I'm about to hit 100k this Friday and was planning in scheduling a coolant change today.

Am I correct to assume this service is now going to be free? Inverter and engine coolant ?

10. ggarb

ggarb Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Owners that already had the problem repaired can seek reimbursement from Toyota, Nolasco said."

11. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many KM on your Prius for the engine coolant pump to need replacement ?? (mine is at 60,000km)

Yeah Toyota Canada also asked me twice about the gas pedal which I've declined each time.

I'll keep an eye on when they'll be ready for the Inverter pump here in Canada ;).

Thank you

12. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no clue but on my repair ticket it is listed as : AON Recall Water Pump.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Only the Inverter Coolant is free under this program. You'll have to pop for the ICE coolant.

JeffD

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Meah . . . that's still better than a hot stick in the eye
    ;)

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl is at 55,000 km. I keep forgetting to look but it's around that value. Should be getting the phone call very soon to come back and pick her up.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    171,000 miles and still on the OEM pumps ( Knock on wood ). Since I plan to drive this 05 another 100,000-ish miles this comes at a convenient time. Cool, life is good.

17. SgtTurtle

SgtTurtle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter coolant pump on my 2008 failed, but luckily it was covered under the warranty and I did not have to pay anything for it.

18. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So ice is a completely different reservoir and pump that requires a separate flush?

19. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, completely separate.

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had the fluids done! Obviously new fluid is part of replacing the pump, and so it should be covered.

The pedal's been done - I was told I had no choice. At least I removed all the mats first so they couldn't take them, as I'd read had happened to others.

I'd also like compensation for two rusted plugs and rotors that failed due to a design flaw, and two driveshaft bearings that failed prematurely.

Whatever this legendary Toyota reliability is, I'm not seeing it.