1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Restructures U.S. Marketing Arm

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 28, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Full title: "Toyota Restructures U.S. Marketing Arm; Voluntary Exits Offered"
    source: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2014/04/27/business/27reuters-autos-toyota-motor-marketing.html?ref=business&_r=1&_ga=1.24357439.408167377.1398671277

First good luck to the TMS employees we've met and worked with before who may not make the move. I left GE in January 1990 for other reasons and six months later, they announced moving the Huntsville operation to Florida. Not everyone went and I used the old Will Rogers line that it increased the average IQ of both states.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope it includes the advertising team.:whistle:

cwerdna and bwilson4web like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe we'll see some Prius with a little mud on the floor, some hay in the back, and an attitude that says:
    • "We're Prius Texas . . . we sell our oil and don't waste it!"
    Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So will they still keep the head quarters in California, or are they shutting it down?

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably has to do with lower cost of operations from TX.
    BTW, I was never impressed with Toyota promotion in USA. The ads were so bad (ie crazy), they were probably losing sales. Hyundai sold huge numbers of cars by just showing the (fraudulently) high MPG. Why can't toyota do something similar showing their real MPG? Or show how one can lease or finance a new car just by gas savings when trading a gas guzzler? Or advertise about Taxi Prius with a gazilion miles. I mean this is a total non-brainer and needs minimal marketing staff to pull it off.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I never see Toyota ads in local papers for Prius. For many of their other models, just no Prius. Maybe they're selling as fast as they can get them? A very high percentage of local cabs are Prius, and a growing percentage are the larger v model now.

A Prius cab capture:

Prius Cab - with front end crumpled.jpg

8. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Texas is a growing market, with a low tax base. I can see the move!!
    Who knows; Texas might get another Toyota plant; maybe a Prius plant!!(y)

austingreen likes this.
  9. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I heard this news on the radio this morning on my way to work. They pretty much said the 5000 jobs are going away from California, either to relocation or laid off. Another blow to California labor. It seems like Los Angeles has been losing more and more jobs every year.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should improve traffic tho...

11. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought the same, but it's a sad way to look at it.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose, but look at it the other way, if they keep adding jobs, what's it gonna be like?

13. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since 1990 Los Angeles has actually had negative job growth (even worse than Detroit surprisingly), and it appears it will continue this way for the foreseeable future.

Source: L.A. tops U.S. metro areas in job losses - The Orange County Register

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't speak for the la area, but the whole state can't be like that. what about the hi tech area's? you're not gonna get the brain trust in most parts of the country, just cheap labor.

15. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    California is huge, so it's doesn't really apply to generalize it to the state. The hi-tech areas are particularly located in the Silicon Valley (slightly south of San Francisco). Los Angeles lost many many production jobs overseas during the late 90s and 2000s and also continues to lose remaining large corporations to states with cheaper tax laws, while the education system hasn't really been improved and yet prices continue to rise here.

16. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another example ( result? ) of California's HIGH corporate tax rate structures.

17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I had a business in CA, I would immediately move to TX. CA is a money grubbing state IMO and the government is mismanaging the money it gets.

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's be clear about why this is happening.
    Toyota to move jobs and marketing headquarters from Torrance to Texas - latimes.com

I think Toyota determined there were way too many problems in Torrence to simply band aid, management needed a major shake up, and perhaps moving could help shock out the bad practices. The move gives a face saving wave to people that deserved to be fired. Of course there are good people being hurt by the mismanagement. Other than the relationship with regulators, many of have noted poor advertising, and perhaps a mismanaged CARB policy emphasising hydrogen cars. Perhaps getting further away from california politics, toyota can develop a better plug-in strategy.

Now why Dallas? I wish my state wasn't paying toyota to move here, but that is part of it.

It's probably a good move for Toyota if it really can change the culture in its US headquarters. Hey maybe we will get a plug-in hybrid truck built in San Antonio out of the deal.

19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

+1.

See the Hung Fong Chili Processing Plant story. A feel good American success story. And trying to make a poor community better by relocating to Irwindale to grow his plant. Only to have people and city trying to run him out of town. Texas and Pennsylvania already trying to lure him out of CA with loads of incentives.

usnavystgc and austingreen like this.
  20. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Silicon Valley is H1b Visa Capital right now. Most of the big firms in the valley are doing this now to save money to report to stockholders. If the job cannot be sent to India/China, they will get a sub-contracting company (like Wipro, Tata or HCL) to hire someone that would be paid a lot less than direct hire by the Silicon Valley firms. The only place in the Valley is still safe from this practices are the Startups.

Wonder why Bush Jr and Obama had been coming to the Silicon Valley almost every month? .....

To have CEOs pay for new H1b Visas.

austingreen likes this.