1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota retaining clips

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Paul Gregory, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I had to remove some of these retainers from the top cover over the radiator on my 2024 Prius Prime. They can be just barely pried out with some force. Once removed, they can not be driven back in the hole, even with a hammer. They appear to be made for one-time use, then discarded.

I had a look online, and found nothing similar, so they must be proprietary to Toyota. I didn't relish the thought of buying some new ones from Toyota, especially since I've had the car less than a month, so I set about finding a way to reset them. There is a central thumb button that once pushed, spreads out the other end, anchoring it in the hole. By holding the button firmly with regular pliers, you can pry away the plastic side hooks with a knife, allowing you to push out the central pin. It can then be easily inserted in the hole, and locked with a push of the button.

Incidentally, the reason I had to access the space in front of the radiator was to insert a piece of cardboard to help the interior heating. I noticed the interior heat was inadequate during a recent cold snap. I did the same on my 2012 Prius, and it never caused me any problems in warm weather, because I left a 2" gap between the cardboard and the radiator. If additional cooling is needed, the radiator fan(s) can pull all the air they need through the gap.

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You're actually supposed to pop that center section up first with a small flat tipped screwdriver, pick, or clip removal tool. Do that first and it's easy to pull the clip out.

3. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I tried exactly that technique for over an hour. It must require a special tool that I do not have.

Based on what I found while working on it, the center post locks past a one-way catch. That's why prying up on the button doesn't work.

#3 Paul Gregory, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  4. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It helps to have a good tool for it. Honestly, even with a tool they're a PITA.

Some swear by this style: SHOP | United States | Dent Fix Equipment

Others by this style: undefined undefined | Matco Tools

Still other by this style: 21720 Sure Grip Trim Clip Pliers - Steck Manufacturing

(I'm not necessarily recommending those particular models, just using them as examples of the types.)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like paint can openers, the stye that's flat blade, with a 90 degree bend at the end. Good for hooking under the center cap, pry it up. in the link in my signature for oil change.there's a pic of one, IIRC.