1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Reveals EV Prototypes Ahead of 2020 Launch

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Shanghai, China, April 16, 2019―Toyota announces that today the company premiered its C-HR and IZOA battery electric vehicles (BEVs) as part of its activities on the opening day of Auto Shanghai 2019. The C-HR and IZOA will be the first BEVs to launch in China under the Toyota brand. Sales on the new models are slated to start from 2020.

Article Link: Toyota Premieres Toyota-brand Battery Electric Vehicles Ahead of 2020 China Launch | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

mr88cet, Robert Holt, iplug and 6 others like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of note, I found the battery layout interesting... It's a skateboard design but with a hump beneath the rear seats.

Data Daedalus and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go Toyota! Better late than never. I hope this doesn't just lead to production for Asian markets.

Data Daedalus and Zythryn like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before I jump for joy, I need specs. If it's anything like the 1G LEAF, then a hard pass.

Buick revealed the Buick Velite 6 MAV (looks like a smaller Regal TourX) EV with 186 miles of range (whatever test China uses). That battery in the video looks a bit small but size doesn't equate to density so we'll have to wait for full specs.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I did a stop action when they flash by the charger. I should say the handle. When you gauge it by the size of the fingers of the person, it looks like it's CHAdeMO. That means the traction pack has to at least be big enough to handle DC QC. Call me over optimistic, but that would also indicate it could very well not just be a puny golf cart range vehicle.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's also two flaps - one on each side, the right side is the larger flap (the CHAdeMO charger port?). I assume the left is the standard plug.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if it is lackluster, Toyota can learn from it.
    I am very happy to see this even though it had been announced before.
    I also rather liked the commercial :)

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Air or liquid cooled?

If air cooled, no interest on my part.

Bob Wilson

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is how the battery is configured in the Bolt and Kona EV. The Soul and Leaf have the rear seat hump, plus one under the front seat.

China has its own standard; GB/T. It covers both AC and DC charging, and appears to be separate plugs for each. That is likelyw hat is under the flaps of the C-HR.

China and CHAdeMO are working to bring their standards together.
    China and Japan give details of new charging standard - electrive.com

This a link to a download of a presentation on GB/T. Has diagrahms of the different plugs.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=2ahUKEwiEj7_CytXhAhXsm-AKHUcyCuYQFjAFegQIBRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.unece.org%2Fdownload%2Fattachments%2F12058681%2FEVE-07-14e.pdf%3Fapi%3Dv2&usg=AOvVaw0BsT6ETtBFzbzCYJ3Jmpel

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There were cars in that ad? :p

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    there was teeny boilerplate below the quick flash screen of the charge nozzle.
    DREAD
    paraphrased, it said not all sales areas will get all features. Showing that notice - right when the Quick Charge nozzle screen flashed by, may very well mean it's only going to have L2 in other areas, whereas Japan, troubled by a crummy grid - necessarily needs DC QC. If that's the case? Hope not - as that'd be the kiss of death - even before its out of the cradle.
    One other dread - I hope Toyota doesn't end up with its own Volt/Bolt scenario ... where their plug in hybrid ends up eating all the high Fed tax break incentives because of the initial 200,000 units sold being the prime .... a Toyota EV will REALLY need to be priced low w/out that $7,500.

#11 hill, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Bluegrassman likes this.
  12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't mind the C-HR EV. I'm just hoping they sell one with AWD and half way decent performance.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Most importantly, no "prius" badging or branding to be seen.

Though I did notice that they used a modified form of the "HSD" badge appearing to trim off the "H" though I haven't worked out what it means in its modified form.

@hill all EVs need competitive pricing without tax schemes. More people will take them seriously when they can compete without subsidy.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Electric Synergy Drive.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While subjective...Toyota better make BEVs that are not ugly. Even Tesla figured that out.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They must have a checklist, for the quirky front end design elements.

padroo, San_Carlos_Jeff and mikey_t like this.
  17. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw that last night - I re-played it several times - I couldn't see the difference between the 2 cars apart from the colour - unless one was slightly bigger?

But they're based on the C-HR which has bombed in the marketplace - it's basically a 2 seater, with no view out the back seats.

Toyota here said something like "Toyota C-HR expected to create queues to buy it" - and it's ended up selling at about 1/3 of RAV4 sales. Rarely see one on the road (just as well as it's hideous, particularly from the left side, the right side, the rear, the rear left-quarter, and the rear right-quarter). Far worse than any PRIUS to look at.

18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but I couldn't understand why all the blue lipstick, eyes, fingers - seemed totally crazy, irrelevant - and lots of it. A better look at the car, open the bonnet, a dashboard display would be more relevant.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Lucky EVs don't actually need a grille. One less thing for them to screw up. And I think they did okay with these.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's anything like the Corolla/Levin or the Vellfire/Alphard, they're the same model but targeting different buyers.

Think of it like a Camry vs. Lexus ES or a Kluger vs. RX but they happen to have the same design rather than different bodies and have different levels of equipment and interior finishes.

(or in the case of the US - like the Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze triplets or the Voyager/Caravan/Town & Country triplets... same car, nearly identical design, different levels of equipment to target a different buyer.