1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Says Mass EV Production To Begin In China For 2019

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Says Mass EV Production To Begin In China For 2019

pilotgrrl and telmo744 like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Knock-on effect may come from this but I certainly shall not be holding my breath.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm ok with Toyota experimenting in China or Japan first. (Just like they are with E-Four right now). We'll get the updated 2.0 version :)

Rumour has it that it'll be based on the CH-R.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By 'we' I assume you mean North America. I wonder if the European wunderkind will tolerate such anti-diesel blasphemy!

#4 RCO, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota/Lexus europe grew market share back to 4.9% in the first half of this year;-) Europe Laggard Toyota's Hybrid Technology Might Be Its Winning Ticket Of course this is partially the diesel cheating scandal, and partially because toyota is taking large losses per car to get market share. BEVs and PHEVs from other makers are also taking market share from diesels. Ford and GM in the past took large losses to boost european market share in hopes of future profits. GM sold european operations recently. Ford finally turned a profit last year, and looks profitable this year, but it will take many years of profits for ford to make up for the years of red ink.

2019 is a long time away. Musk may be building Tesla's in China soon after that. BYD has plenty of time to improve their bevs too.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla has already unveiled a two-socket outlet on their Model S/X that looks like the cars have a gas flap. It's no longer a single Tesla socket built into the taillamp. I believe the 2nd socket is a CCS outlet.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The second socket is a GB socket for China. This is similar to the german version of CCS, but has a different communication protocol, and slightly different pins and voltages. China looks like they are about to spend the equivalent of $20B in a charging network, and tesla wants to work with the government there. If the US or Europe get a large charging network going I'm sure tesla will build it into their cars, instead of having adapters. I believe the tesla superchargers in china may give cars the option of GB or the tesla plug. In 2020 china the plan is to have 12,000 fast chargers outside of tesla's network of more than 1000.

#7 austingreen, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait so we're going to have a 3rd DCFC charging standard? oh god.

RCO likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Going to? It already exists. China had this set awhile back, and it will likely remain in China only at this point. It might spread with China's influence into other markets, but those markets likely need to address their electric infrastructure before BEV sales become possible.

CHAdeMO isn't going to happen in China for the same reasons their standard isn't going to enter into Japan. CCS might have had a chance if the European and US automakers had been more willing to make BEVs when China started their course on them.

austingreen, Tideland Prius and RCO like this.