1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota service made a mistake during sotware update (recall)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Placius, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Placius

Placius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, new member here. First of all sorry for my English.

Just purchased my Prius second hand (25k miles), drove around 1k miles on it and so far loving it.
    During the inspection Toyota service mentioned, there is a recall for the vehicle and they could update the software on it for free. So I scheduled a time and brought my car to them.
    During the update, they made a mistake and my car is unusable at the moment. They will do all the necessary fixes with no charge (so far what they told) and they also gave me a car to drive during this period.

I don't have too much information at the moment but as far as I know, 6 or 7 parts need to be replaced including the inverter. I will get more information tomorrow (hopefully). I am not car techy and buying a very intelligent car scared me for the maintenance costs. Now what should I be make sure to ask them? They seem like honest people but I would like to make sure I will not need to pay anything and get a good warranty on the parts replaced.

I am not sure if it is a good thing the get a brand new inverter after 25k miles, or bad thing because car was running great when I got it. What i should look for when I pickup the car?

I could use some of your expertise and advices on my Prius THREE
    Thank you,

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no expert here, but a quick thought, what was the recall for, did the car record any codes and if so, what were they, why did the recall service negatively affect the car and exactly what parts were damaged and had to be replaced, and, what reassurance can they give you that a problem down the road wasn't caused by this mistake. frankly, i've never heard anything like this in ten years of priuschat. very unfortunate. you may also want to lodge a complaint with toyota as well. i'm not trying to be negative here, and in all likelihood, everything will be fine. just cuts covering all the bases, all the best!(y)

3. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If they messed up something, it's on their dime to fix it, no matter what the cost. Toyota (the manufacturer, not the dealer) would not let them get away with charging customers too many times for their own mistakes. Besides, it's still under bumper to bumper coverage 3 years/36k miles, so that may help as well. It's ironic, really, since the software update is designed to prevent the inverter and other components from becoming damaged due to the software working them too hard.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if you search here, it has happened to a few folks. Maybe the inverter was damaged already? The good news is you get new parts for free, so no need to sweat. Just make sure the car works like it should when you get it.

5. Placius

Placius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all, I will stop there later today to learn more.

I believe the recall # is below
    Recall Date
    February 12, 2014
    Dealer Reference ID
    E0E
    NHTSA Recall ID
    14V053
    Title
    STOP SALE - Safety Recall E0E - Remedy Available - Certain 2010 - 2014 MY Prius Vehicles - Software Update for Motor Generator ECU and Power Management ECU
    Status
    Remedy Available
    Description
    Toyota is recalling certain model year 2010 through 2014 prius vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the intelligent power module (ipm) inside the inverter module (a component of the hybrid system) contains transistors that may become damaged from high operating temperatures. If this occurs, various warning lamps will be illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle will have reduced power allowing it to only drive a short distance. The vehicle may enter a fail-safe/limp-home mode that limits the drivability of the vehicle. The hybrid system could also shut down completely resulting in a vehicle stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
    Remedy
    Toyota will notify owners and dealers will update the software for both the motor/generator control electronic control unit (ecu) and the hybrid control ecu, free of charge. If an owner experiences a failure of the inverter before the vehicle receives updated software, the dealer will replace the inverter assembly with a new one at no charge. The recall began on march 21, 2014. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    EoE was a very widely applied recall.
    For most of us it has had no effect at all.
    As others have said, it's possible that your inverter was already on its way out (the cause of the recall, really).

Assuming they get the car back to you working correctly with a bunch of new parts I think you'll be fine.

7. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree. Whew I'm glad it doesn't cover the PiP. At least, not mine.

8. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The software update is intended to prevent cracking of the solder under a pair of very high power transistors in the inverter. If the cracking progresses too far, one or the other of the transistors can fall off, leading to arcs, sparks, and, if one is lucky, an "abandon all hope" crawl to the side of the road. If one is unlucky, the car stops dead, in traffic, right there. Which is why this is a safety recall.

From the minimal documentation that Toyota has provided on the topic there's an "inspection" that is supposed to be done when the inverter software is updated. There's some wild hand-waving that says the inspection is some kind of check to see if one or the other of the transistors involved has already cracked, or partially cracked from the underlying heat sink. If this is what happened to your car during the upgrade, be happy: They'll replace the inverter with a brand-new one. (There's also been talk that this inspection doesn't always catch incipient faults.)

The only problem is that immediately after the update announcement there were reports that new inverters were in short supply, presumably due to the number that had to be replaced, and people have had to wait for the replacement, sometimes for weeks. I don't know if inverters are still in short supply; if so, I hope they supplied you with a paid-for rental.

Good luck!

KBeck

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless there is tremendous strain or vibration, solder should not just "Crack"! If the temp approaches 700° F the solder might melt and run, but outright cracking, I wonder if this is more prevalent in cold climates!

10. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you loose battery power or have a loose ground during the Inverter software flash, you can "brick" the Inverter where is won't take another flash, and won't run, since its software dead.
    Usually the Dealer puts a 12volt power source on the electrical system in case the 12 voltbattery fails during the flash. Maybe this wasn't done properly. The Dealer will probably replace the Invertor (this converts approx 207 volts dc to 207-600+ volts ac to power the electric motors.) They might also replace the small 12 volt battery, that boots up the computer.
    They should not have a problem fixing the car, but they might have to wait for parts from Toyota.

#10 smokiejoe, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  11. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I dont think Crack is the appropriate word here for solder either. However they are likely referring to separation. Also it could be a circuit board crack or failure.

12. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After reading the Toyota report to the NTSB on the subject, it appeared that they were claiming that high stress levels between the boost transistors and the underlying heat sink caused separation between the transistor and the heat sink.

Based upon a careful reading of that document, it appeared to me that there was a second-order mechanical differential expansion problem present. The boost transistors (as well as the other power switching transistors in the inverter) are naked die that are soldered almost directly to the heat sink in the inverter. (Note: This heat sink is bathed on its other side by inverter coolant. Yeah, that is the way they get the losses out of the inverter.) Basically, upon a request for high power, the boost transistors would kick in with a vengeance; the transistors would heat rapidly. It is presumed that the heat sink would also heat and eventually match the transistor temperatures.

The operative word here is "eventually". I did the rough math on an earlier thread on this subject. In order:
    1. The bigger the increase in power demand, the bigger the temperature differential between the heat sink and the transistor.
    2. After a second or less, the temperatures of the transistor and the heat sink equalize, reducing or eliminating the temperature differential.
    3. Given coefficients of expansion and contraction of the transistor and the heat sink, cracking of the solder between the two is precisely what is happening.
    Toyota definitely said that the transistors were falling off the heat sink when this was happening. I didn't make that up. Cracking solder joints under electronic components because of differential expansion and contraction isn't a new problem: BGA (Ball Grid Array) parts have had issues with this, on and off, for a very long time.

It's not solder melting: It's solder cracking. Maybe microcracks at first, but clean separation eventually. On those inverters that have exhibited the problem.

There's quite a bit of monitoring of bus bars, current levels, and other interesting parameters of the transistors inside the inverters. (I've looked at data sheets on other, related transistors.) It's quite possible that the "inspection" is looking at the resistance between the transistor and the underlying heat sink, the idea being that if there are some cracks in there, the resistance would be up some and potentially checkable.

GrumpyCabbie, one of the regular contributors around here, stated that he was driving his Prius "like it was stolen" when the inverter failed, which fits. It is guessed that the software fix would reduce the rise time of the power delivered through the transistors. Note: This wouldn't be the maximum power delivered through the transistors, but rather how fast the power increase occurred. Testing of Priuses in the real world, before and after the update, also seems to validate this idea, with a slight increase in quarter-mile times, but with max acceleration unaffected, which also fits.

KBeck

kc410 and Jonny Zero like this.
  13. Placius

Placius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update:
    Talked with two different service rep and received two different answers. Yesterday night I stopped at the location and printed out a list of parts showing under my car's service order records. At home checked the part numbers, none of them were inverter, all were small assembly parts, cables, harnesses etc. And the rep gave me another person's info to contact with him to get more detailed information, because that person is the one who is currently working on my car.
    Today I emailed the rep who is working on my car, and he emailed me the parts he is going to replaced.
    ECU (computer), sensor and wire harness.

So there is no inverter in the list at all. Every day I am receiving different information. I am just hoping it all will end good.

Thank you for all your posts. I am learning a lot.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, sounds like they fried the harness? maybe i'm reading too much into it, thanks for the update!

15. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ha. And double Ha.

The inverter itself has a pretty complex control board that drives the fancy, super-well-mounted-high-power-transistors that do all the heavy lifting down in the basement of the inverter. And there's probably $DIETY's own collection of control, monitor, and fault hardware and firmware on that control board. From the pictures from the EPA studies on the car, it looks like one can get a couple of levels down into the inverter and potentially get to that control board; the transistors themselves and the heat sink assembly are sealed and potted to a fare-thee-well down in the basement of the inverter, and nobody mucks with those without being in a clean room wearing a bunny suit. There are some serious inductors (with cooling) and filter capacitors with specs like you wouldn't believe inside the inverter, too.

I suspect that Something's Not Talking To the Programming Equipment. Given how expensive the inverter is, I'm guessing that they're going through a test chart that says, "First change this cheap component, then that cheap harness, followed by this cheap component..." until they run out of tests and decide that the computer in the inverter is Bricked For All Time. Then, and only then they'll replace the inverter.

Keep us posted, this is getting entertaining. But probably not for the poor tech who has to troubleshoot this.

KBeck.

m.wynn likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In other recall threads, there have been a few isolated reports of people experiencing problems such as yours after the recall. Which basically is that something happens, and the entire inverter needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately that's the bad news for you.

The good news?
    I think everything can be replaced, and you'll have new parts, and be fine.

It does seem that occasionally and rarely "something" happens during the recall or with the downloading of the software, that causes problems. The good news is that it all can be fixed.

Your vehicle is still easily under warranty. All this damage is a documented result of the recall procedure. You shouldn't have to pay a dime.

17. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As of August 22, 2014 campaign E0E has been revised with inverter repair parts and procedures. This means that the specific sub-assemblies within the inverter that failed are now field replaceable. There is a great big chart/matrix to help guide the tech to identify the component(s) that require replacement, based on specific trouble codes and symptom codes.
    That would explain having various ECU and harness being replaced instead of the complete inverter assembly.

Lightning Racer likes this.
  18. Placius

Placius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As of now, my car is still in service. Still waiting for a wire harness to be arrived or looks like trying to gain additional time to follow the chart (repairing couple small pieces at a time) for avoiding inverter replacement as "PriusInParadise" mentioned.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    frustrating.:mad:

20. Placius

Placius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    January 9, 2015 and my car is finally ready for pick up from the service.
    No matter what I tried, they didn't replace the complete inverter assembly. They applied a partial replacements on spotted broken parts.
    They said everything looks good now, no codes or issues shown in system.

During delivery what should I make sure before I drive away from the service? My car was sitting in the freezing parking lot for more than 2 months.
    Brakes could be rusted and may take some time to get back in shape by driving around. Anything to consider on the batteries? I had an oil change week before I left my car to service. Any input will be appreciate it.

Thanks for all the previous posts/personal messages.