1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Service Safety Campaign! LOOK - 2004 car owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dianne, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Dianne

Dianne New Member

2004 Model Year Prius Brake Light Switch

On November 18, 2004, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding the brake light switch on approximately 35,000 Prius vehicles, with the intent to initiate an SSC.

On certain 2004 Model Year Toyota Prius vehicles, a silicon oxide build-up occurs on the contacts inside the brake light switch which can make it inoperable. If the switch is inoperable, the brake lights will not illuminate. In addition, there is a possibility that the ABS warning light may illuminate and/or the vehicle may not start.

This new SSC involves the replacement of brake light switch. A dealer package including technical instructions and reimbursement procedures will be mailed to dealers in early December. Owner notifications will commence in mid-December, 2004.

As required by Federal Regulation, dealers are not to deliver any vehicle acquired in their inventory, which is involved in a safety recall, until the necessary repairs have been performed. Any dealer with affected dealer stock vehicles will be contacted by TMS.

Questions and Answers:

Special Service Campaign (SSC) Q&A

2004 Model Year Toyota Prius Brake Light Switch

Q1: What is the condition?

A1: Certain 2004 Model Year Toyota Prius vehicles may have been equipped with an improperly manufactured brake light switch.

Q2: What is the cause of this condition?

A2: A silicon oxide build-up occurs on the contacts inside the brake light switch which can make it inoperable. If the switch is inoperable, the brake lights will not illuminate and thus can increase the possibility of an accident to occur. In addition, there is a possibility that the ABS warning light may illuminate and/or the vehicle may not start.

Q3: Are there any warnings that this condition exists?

A3: No, there are no specific warnings that this condition exists. However, if the switch is inoperable, the brake lights will not illuminate. In some instances, there is a possibility that the ABS warning light may illuminate and/or the vehicle may not start.

Q4: Which and how many vehicles are involved?

A4: Certain 2004 Model Year Prius and 2004 Model Year RX 330 vehicles are involved. There are approximately 35,000 Prius and 145,000 RX 330 vehicles involved in the U.S.

Q5: What is the production period of the affected vehicles?

A5: The affected Toyota Prius vehicles were produced from late May, 2003 to mid-June, 2004.

Q6: Are there any other Toyota or Lexus vehicles involved?

A6: Yes, this condition also affects certain 2004 Model Year RX 330 vehicles.

Q7: How many incidents of this condition have been reported?

A7: There have been 200 cases reported in Japan for this condition in the affected vehicles.

Q8: Have there been any accidents reported?

A8: There have been no reported cases of accidents related to this condition.

Q9: What is Toyota going to do?

A9: Owners of the involved vehicles will receive a Special Service Campaign notification by first class mail beginning in mid-December, 2004. Toyota dealers will replace the brake light switch at NO COST to the vehicle owners.

Q10: How long will the repair take?

A10: The repair will take approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

Q11: What should an owner do if they experience the condition?

A11: Owners are requested to contact their local Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair.

-------------------------------------------------------

2. jchu

jchu New Member

Dianne,
    Thinks for posting

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow very compleat! I guess I will get a second recall.

4. stevesol

stevesol Junior Member

Any VIN numbers on this recall (I mean LSC...) yet? I'm on the edge of the production range...

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I'll be included if going only by the date - I'll ask the dealer today when I go in for my fuel tank TSB and my 40J DVD replacement.

These guys are going to love me, bringing in all these new LSC's.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for sharing, Di.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Thanks a lot, Dianne!

It says 200 cases were reported in Japan. Can we assume that none were reported elsewhere and, if so, isn't that unusual?