1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota - Should the U.S. Big Three be the BIG Four?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Blue-Adept, May 18, 2005.

1. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After reading the news
    http://hybridscoop.com/node/4

Is Toyota spending more in north america some of the other car makers.

"By 2006, Toyota will have the annual capacity to build 1.66 million cars and trucks, 1.44 million engines, and 600,000 automatic transmissions in North America. The company's direct investment is nearly $16.6 billion, with annual purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totaling nearly $25 billion. Toyota's North American-produced vehicles include the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Sienna, Solara, Sequoia, Tacoma, Tundra, and the Lexus RX330."

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nope they shouldnt. they really dont have a peer right now anywhere in the world in the US market.

the profit margins are beyond GM's wildest dreams. their level of acceptability in the market place GM or Ford has not seen in 35 years.

AND the biggest reason why they shouldnt be included with the other 3 is that they are not resting on their laurels or trying to milk a fading product for all its worth. they are constantly "moving forward"

3. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In your opinion are they are spending more money and resources in the U.S.A. than GM....

I meant top 3 or 4 for size of MFG in the U.S. And Dollars invested here. I hold stock in Toyota Moter Corp. ( symbol TM ) and so do alot of other americans.

Should we think of them as a global company that spends and employes alot of americans and others.

4. jeffn

jeffn New Member

I can't see how they can't be viewed as a zebra mussel of a company. Yes, they are the best car co. in the world but they are taking over the native species. The final $$ ends up in a foreign country diminishing homeland revenues, further weakening our economy and increasing our trade deficit and foreign indebtedness irrespective of the fact that they employ Americans.

I admire the French-driving mainly French cars(more appealing then US cars if not as or equal to in reliability) with what seems like less than 1-2% Asian vehicles. Also, it's hard to fault US citizens wanting the best product available-shame we don't make them insofar as vehicles anymore.

At least I can remember when Americans cars were on par with anything in the world-damn near anyway.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    at what cost do the french drive primarily french cars? only countries with huge import taxes are that loyal.

would you rather we buy GM because they are 70% cheaper? because Toyota's have a
    $10000 import tax on em?

i think the 25 billion Toyota spends here is a big chunk of change in anyones book and is it more than GM or Ford, i dont know. but its money that stays here. there are a lot of companies that market plenty here, after all we are the biggest commercial market in the world. so Toyota is one of many companies making money from us. but the only reason why they are making the money is because they deserve it.

they dont do it by screwd advertising or timely product introductions. they do it because they are the top of the game.

the recent recall by Toyota of 750,000 trucks and SUV's was very very revealing in telling me what kind of company we are dealing with. here is a recall that will cost them millions for a defect on their products some of which have been on the road for over 4 years. there has not been ONE SINGLE ACCIDENT attributed to this defect. i cant recall an american car company ever going that far to insure the safety of their customers. in fact american car companies have the "Fight Club" mentality where they weigh the cost of possible payout for injury lawsuits against the cost of the recall

that is one of the biggest reasons why i along with most americans, own a japanese car

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $2.5 million

That's what you're worth. $2.5 million. That's the number the companies use for litigation. They figure they have to pay out $2.5 million dollars per death. So when there are too many deaths it's more cost effective to fix the problem. But until then...it's cheaper for them to pay because you died.

If American Car companies want Americans to buy American they can save their advertising dollar and invest in making a quality product equal to or greater than the competition. Because I'm going to buy the best car out there. In fact...I just did. If they want me to buy their car....it better be better than a Prius on every count.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you really think about it, what defines the nationality of a company anyway?

Corporations are their own entities with pieces of them owned by millions. So if Americans own 10% of Toyota, and 25% of their products are manufactured here, and much of their stock is owned ouside of Japan OR US as well as manufacturing, (figures pulled out of a hat), where besides its headquarters is its nationality?
    For Toyota, it seems more obvious though a big chunk of them is here. But for the so called US companies, how much is owned by foreigners, and manufacturing done outside of US? If greater than 50% for both, are they still US companies, just because their headquarters and point of origin is here?

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The main difference is now probably just where the taxes get paid to.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"90750)</div>
    I don't believe that there are import taxes within the EU for cars manufactured within the European Community. Thus, the level of taxation on a car sold in France will be the same whether it is produced in France, Germany, Italy or any other member state.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    danman you do have a point. intel will most likely always be considered an american company, but nearly all their product is manufactured outside the US and if they had their way they would rather that most of their product be sold outside the US as well

11. jeffn

jeffn New Member

Most foreign atuo manuf. sell in France-and some fench buy them like my friend(with 11 cars here anf there). They are as affordable as most equiv. French models. I think it has to do with French pride and superiority complex and I can say that most french cars I've driven had more personality and were more entertaining (like most French people as well). That's why the loyalty.

Seems ironic that we've come 180' when we can now say "cheap American junk" instead of the inverse that I grew up with. And there still is no jap mustang, vette, camaro-what the US made and stil makes best.

What riles me is why doesn't Japan level the field and allow US products to be sold there as fairly as we do? If we die there, let it be in the marketplace and not their political system.

Most americans own a Jap car? Maybe 40% but that's still a minority. I'll buy another Nipponese car no doubt, but it'll be slightly used so as to tread lightly on the deficit.

12. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For performance. The following

Honda s2000
    Acura NSX
    Subaru WRX STi
    Mitsu EVo
    Mazda Mita
    Nissan Z

Better or equal to the american perfromance. Vette, Viper and Caddy's in the v series. All to expensive to run and use as everyday transportation.

I had an STi for 2 years. Nice car but with 2 small kids impracticale.

Mustangs and Cameros are inferior junk. Even the new Mustang is old tech. We can do better than

13. unique2006

unique2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    GM= major recalls and going bankrupt
    Ford= crap! ( i know i have one)
    Kia= low quality
    The NEW BIG 3

Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi

14. jeffn

jeffn New Member

`

Mitsu-going bankrupt-short lived V6s.
    Acura CLs-trans failure/recall..this list is endless in all makes.

If the new stang is crap. why do the sell for E50k+ in Europe?

An earlier reply reminded me of a stat I read about 25 years ago-Japan has 15 engineers for every lawyer; the US=the inverse. So if you ever need to sue a Japanese Co., this is the place to be.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry gotta add the company with the biggest turn-around in years and that is Nissan

16. jeffn

jeffn New Member

Voila! Certainly deserves to be on that list. Remarkable what a little French connection can do.