1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... Toyota singling-out Corolla GR guys, for mass surveillance?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by asjoseph, Jun 22, 2024.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ... good long while, been thinking about having the Lo Jacks removed, from my vehicles:

Toyota GR Corolla Buyer Finds Dealer-Installed GPS Tracker Hidden In Car | Carscoops

Toyota USA, monitoring our comings 'n goings? Selling our geo-data, to the government? Insurance companies? 4th amendment violation, using our own data, to void our warranties? Hike our premiums?

I suspect, what this is, Toyota's pulling exactly the same stunt the Mitsubishi people did, 20 years ago, with its Evolution buyers, caught red handed cross-walking SCCA event results, for which to void warranties.

No way Toyota's turbocharged three-pot GR's ever going to reach 80K on the clock, to rebuild time. I'd be surprised if one ever went as far, as 60k. I suspect Toyota USA people are establishing basis upon which to void GR Corolla warranties, based on driving pattern.

Conventional Corvette archetype data recorder, parameter I suspect Toyota analysts would otherwise be looking at, (a) preponderance of 1st, 3rd and 4th gear pulls to red-line; (b) braking data; (c) Gs. But, surreptitiously recording GPS data, Toyota people would want street racing data; a count how many GR Corollas wind up at the track.

Were these surreptitiously placed trackers intended only for repossession purposes, dealers wouldn't be installing them on GR Corollas bought outright, cash-in-hand.

Exactly the same thing we said to the Mitsubishi people 20 years ago: If the Toyota people don't want sports car guys, driving their cars in the spirit to which they were intended? Why build them, in the first place?

This cinches it for me. I'm keeping what I've got. I'm never buying a new car, again -

Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

#1 asjoseph, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gm got caught selling driving info to nexis lexis, who in turn was selling it to insurance companies, who in turn were jacking up rates on individuals whose habits they didn't particularly like.
    fortunately, a lawsuit put an end to the private info profiteering.
    but make no mistake, this problem is only going to get worse the more connected things get.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're tying a dealership's (entity) doing to an entire manufacturer (corporate)??