1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Snubded

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tom6850, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The leader in Hybrids excluded.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 25 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]411943[/snapback]</div>
    Tried to attach a news article but the system will not allow it. A forum is being held in Washington, DC and all the big auto makers invited to dicuss increased MPG but Toyota is being excluded. I guess they only want the big three iven though Toyota and the Prius lead the way.

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Well after all we can’t have Ford and Gm embarrassed they are supposed to make the best cars on the market, tight.

3. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I follow up to my post. The meeting will be held Monday in DC. The object is to cut fuel consumption by 20% over ten years. Only GM, ford & Chrysler attending. A quote by Aan Tonelson in the article states "The best research I have seen is thay don't add as much to the American economy as the Big Three auto markers".

They only know how to make the highest MPG and the least polluting vehicles on the market.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 25 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]411943[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot find anything. Can you please post a link to this news item?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Must be an American thing. That's ok.

I read a post somewhere (if it's not here on PC, then it must've been over at ToyotaNation) where Porsche is now struggling to build its own hybrids.

Some of you may remember the rumour about Porsche leasing Toyota's system (like what Nissan is doing) but Toyota required that Porsche "buy" the whole shebang but Porsche didn't want to so they said no and decided to build their own system. Now they're realising how hard it is to build a hybrid.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's the article.

Toyota not invited.

Never mind how many Americans are employed by Toyota, or how many plants are being built.

It's the same big three as the previous energy meeting. I'm sure it involves the big three writing their section of the government's energy policy that will in turn benefit the big three, provide subsidies, etc. I'm sure it be big three friendly, like the tax credits were.

7. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    GM only knows how to make HUMMERS. I think it is called that because all the CEO's do is humm their way to the bank with their fat bonuses and tax credits from Washington...

The big Three don't want to make high mileage vehicles. Exon Mobile and alike want it that way too...

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not like the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are going to invite Jimminy Cricket to a summit meeting to help them develop policy.

9. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's Deja Vu all over again.

Toyota was also snubbed when they tried to join GM, Ford, and Chrysler in the Partnership for a Next Generation of Vehicles (PNGV). The big three spent $1.5B and developed three diesel-electric hybrid prototypes, but decided that they would be too expensive to produce. While standing in front of the prototypes from the Big Three in 2000, Al Gore said in part:

"Today, for the first time, we look forward to a date when remarkable new technologies like this will be moving from research labs to showrooms and dealerships across the country. These leading auto makers believe that within four years, cars with far greater fuel efficiency will be mass-produced, and ready for purchase by the American people."

He was indeed a visonary, and in September 2004 I bought the very car he was talking about, a Toyota Prius.

10. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cubbyg @ Mar 25 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]412019[/snapback]</div>

GM makes a lot of good, efficient, and safe cars. Why so much animosity?

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Mar 25 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]412097[/snapback]</div>
    Low hypocrisy tolerance level is my guess.