1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Stages World Premier of All-New 2007 Camry

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the all-new 2007 Camry and Camry Hybrid at a press conference today at the 2006 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).
    In the 23 years since it was introduced as a 1983 model, Camry has evolved to the quintessential American family sedan with iconic status.

The Toyota Camry, the best-selling car in America four years running and eight of the past nine years, is completely new for 2007 as Toyota engineers and designers follow a strategy that refuses to take continued success for granted. Toyota set out to redefine the new Camry. To accomplish this, Toyota chose to expand the very definition of Camry and in the process create a new benchmark for sedans. Designers rethought every aspect of the Camry, from its chassis to its body, interior, accessories and drivetrain. The result is a world-class sedan that not only redefines global standards for comfort, performance and intelligent design, but also is available, for the first time, with Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive.

"With the new 2007 Camry, Toyota once again raised the bar with the family sedan," said Don Esmond, senior vice president, automotive operations, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. "Camry's reputation as the gold standard was developed over more than 20 years of refining this excellent package and this new Camry continues that reputation."

As designers and engineers refined their goals, they focused on trading what some owners felt was a conservative image for a more stylish, athletic, modern image. At the same time, they sought new standards of performance for both standard and hybrid models.

The challenge was to accomplish a thorough redesign without sacrificing traditional Camry qualities, including roomy interior, comfortable ride, low noise levels, and class-leading value. Toyota designers accomplished those goals by rethinking every aspect of the Camry, with special attention paid to improving driving dynamics, comfort, low noise and
    As interested as drivers will be in Camry's enhanced performance, refinement, value and style, they'll also be interested in its fuel-economy numbers. The standard four-cylinder CE model has EPA-estimated city/highway fuel economy ratings of 24/34. Camrys equipped with V6 engines have EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 22 mpg city/31 mpg highway, while the Camry hybrid has fuel economy ratings of 43 mpg city/37 mpg highway.

Full Article

2. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

Sweet!! Toyota has a whole new online advertisement for it on their site now.

http://www.toyota.com/

Can't wait to test drive it.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Barely seen are two new gauges on the instrument panel.

Anybody know what they display ?

A bit more help in optimizing engine use would be cool.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm at the Toyota HyCam interactive thing right now. The wheels. What's up with the wheels?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about the wheels?

Ah ha! I see that they've gotten rid of the bladder and still achieved AT-PZEV rating.

7. Oregon-Mica

Oregon-Mica New Member

The Camry looks great. Nice inside and out. I wonder, however, regarding pricing as it appears the model will have all the bells and whistles, including leather. I also suspect, just my view, it will be too late for tax credits.

Glad my 06 Prius is on its way down I-5.

Oregon-mica

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very nice...not sure i would like the MFD positioned as far down as it seems to be... but love that 8 way power seat though!@!@

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

oh hahaha. It has the same wheels as the XLE.

11. Sam-I-Am

Sam-I-Am New Member

Looking at the pictures on the toyota website, there is an interesting looking gauge where the tachometer normally goes. I can't quiet make out exactly what it is, the numbers start at 60 and goes down to 0 (reverse of normal direction). Anyone know what this is?

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    instant fuel consumption gauge. Just look at my thread titled "2007 Camry Hybrid Pictures". There, you can see a larger version.

13. slortz

slortz New Member

I can't say that I like the styling of this car over the Accord Hybrid, but that means less to me now than in my younger days. Most of Honda's car styling appeals a little more to me than Toyota's (if you exclude the Lexus and Scion lines) but the slightly better reliability of Toyota wins out overall.
    If I were in the market, I would most likely buy the Camry Hybrid over the Accord Hybrid simply because the HSD is the best.
    Seeing how I'm an mpg junkie now though, I'd be even more likely to get another Prius than either of these cars. :)

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Camry Hybrid will be the first Toyota to be equipped with VDIM or Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management. This is taken from Lexus and is a system that integrates traction control, vehicle stability control, ABS, Brake Assist and variable gear ratio steering (active steering).

Based on the DVD demo that I saw in the GS430's MFD, the system will adjust braking, throttle AND steering to help maintain control. Under heavy acceleration, it'll adjust the steering so that there won't be the usual tug left and right (torque steer). Also, when accelerating with one side of the car on wet, slippery surfaces, and another on dry surface, it'l adjust steering so that you don't have to make the constant adjustment when accelerating straight from those two surfaces.

That's just some of the features.

The Camry Hybrid will also feature the acoustic windshield on the Avalon Limited and the 2006 European Prius.

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All this talk about what's going to be cool about the HyCam, I can't wait to go drive one and buy one.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey, you changed your avatar!

yeah, I wanna test drive one when it comes out.

17. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, retouched to make the car look like it's in motion. I can't say I like the new design that much. The older version looks sleeker. I especially don't like the coffin back trunk. A lot of new designs seem to be more about aggressive attitude than aesthetics or aerodynamics. But that's just MHO. Anywho, I hope it's just a phase that will pass soon.

18. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    uh wha?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wasn't it some other guy? not the Futurama doc?

20. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I was Zapp Branagan but now Professor Farnsworth. The "uh wha?" is a quote from the professor who is quite often completely out of it.

My wife says that it's bad for me to stare at the computer screen all day. So for a half-hour each day I stare at the television and watch Futurama. :blink: