1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota stock anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmgrl3, Aug 3, 2006.

1. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Some months before I went ahead on buying my Prius...(orderd in 4/06 and just received 7/18/06)....I bought Toyota stock at 74 and watched it soar to 124 in months!!

It dropped into 90s and is now back up around 107....

Now this is the way to buy a Prius!!

Any other people put their beliefs in Toyota in the stock???

terri

2. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 3 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]297340[/snapback]</div>
    I did that with Starbucks many, many moons ago. Decided to put my money where my mouth was, so to speak. I couldn't get over the fact that then, as now, I never walked into a Starbucks & didn't see a line. So far I figure I'm way ahead on my tall lattes. :)

Buying a product from a company you *really* like is great. Purchasing the stock & making money on the deal is even sweeter.

3. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I consider myself a Toyota pimp and a Starbucks whore. I better get on this stock market thing.

4. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airpolgas @ Aug 3 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]297399[/snapback]</div>

Better late than never....a friend told me he had been tracking Toyota when it was in the seventies...and maybe I should wait till got back down to around 71-2....I didn't wait.

They still have it as a long-term buy and hold recommendation...pays dividends too. If I had had money available, I would have bought more when it dropped into the 90s with the recent market correction...I am definitely in for the long haul though...especially at my age...but the "paper profit" covered my new Prius!

I missed Starbucks!! and I am definitely a SB whore!!

t

5. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I bought Toyota at 72, and intended to keep it a long time. But the (IMO) speculative rapid rise a few months later convinced me to sell at 99.

Nowadays I have Honda, and GM that I short. As it stands today, I am losing money on GM but think that time will fix that, unless Ford collapses before them.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Although a little late - [bought my Prius almost two years ago] - but several weeks back I sold a couple of historical non-performers and replaced them with Toyota stock. Nice gains so far. But... that's short term... let's see how it performs long-term.

Made similar purchases years back on Microsoft, Dell, AOL (Now Time-Warner), etc. since I used and liked their products. Most of my decisions have been good.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Historically, whenever I have bought a stock (or, more accurately, encouraged dh to do so), it has tanked. Who wants to contribute directly to our retirement fund with contributions to make me PROMISE to leave TM & SB out of our portfolio? :rolleyes:

9. jberry

jberry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 4 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]297748[/snapback]</div>
    The latest reports, I believe published today on CNNMoney.com, show that Toyota is not far from passing GM to be the largest car manufacture in the world. I don't see gas prices going down anytime soon... Yes it would certainly seem to be a good bet. I just wish I had bought it sooner!

10. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I did very well with Dell, Cisco, and a few other tech-stocks before the tank....I do believe Toyota is a good long term buy and hold. I was tempted at 124 to take all my profits and run...that would have payed for my Prius 06...but I am hanging in there...so it's coming back around with the market.

11. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Still a happy camper here with my Toyota stock.

Bought it in May, 2005 at $74.00 share (600) shares...then it went to 124, dropped into the high nineties....I'm in for the long haul...it's 123 today.....

I also bought some Honda along the way...not as much. It is doing nicely, but Toyota's performance has been (and I believe will continue to be) stunning!!

On paper, the growth has paid for my new Prius!!

The market is up...so everything I have is up....but, still......

....and I think it is still a recommended buy by many analysts at these prices...a split would be ok.

terri

P.S. I do my research with a number of sites...but here are analyst recommendations at The Street:

http://tools.thestreet.com/tsc/quotes.html...sid=&timer=

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I bought at 106 and I am very happy.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm bubbling over with jealousy right now, and hate each and every one of you for your shrewd investing skills!!!
    [laughing]

I tend to buy companies which 'make sense' to me and Toyota has been one of those for years...

DUH!!!!

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought Toyota at $82, I think it was a couple of years ago. But I have a miniscule part of my total porfolio in individual stocks, and those I own were bought for sentimental reasons. I bought Toyota because I like the Prius, and Matsushita because Panasonic makes the Prius battery. And a few others I liked for similar reasons.

I don't consider myself able to pick "winners." Most of my portfolio is in mutual funds, very diversified across sectors and investment styles. (Aggressive funds, conservative funds, foreign-stock funds, REIT funds, muni-bond funds, indexed funds, etc.) I probably own a lot more Toyota stock in my mutual funds than I own as individual shares.

In a rising market, everyone is a good investor. When the market turns around, the individual investor is likely to take a bath. I figure if I'm going to have money in the market, I'd rather have good managers in charge of it. And that's what mutual funds provide.

Here's the thing: The price of a stock reflects not only the value and earnings of the company, but what the market (i.e. investors as a class) expect that company to do. To make money you don't necessarily pick a company that will succeed, you pick a company that will do better than the market expects it to do, because its price reflects the market expectations.

You can make money buying a company that does poorly, if the market expected it to do even worse than it does, because that expectation is reflected in a lower price.

I cannot make those assessments. So I don't buy individual stocks, except, as noted above, very small amounts for sentimental reasons. I own some Toyota stock because I like the company that made my car.

15. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 9 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]346343[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you got some stock, Daniel!

Before I retired, my portfolio was more in funds...I had a 403b, too, which I rolled over two years ago.

A good friend of mine ..who wrote an investment manual for Morgan Stanley..and is now not in that line of work, "sat down" with me on the phone two years ago...I have been interested in the market for years and have some knowledge...Yes...it can be very nice when the market it up, but there are some strategies one can use that cover both the ups and downs...especially, since the equities I now buy are for the long haul.

I don't need to touch them...they have at least a five-year chart of steady growth, they all pay dividends...they are all stocks in pretty large companys...United Technologies, Air Products and Chemicals, Fortune Brands, Pepsi......and others.

I have done extremely well with all of them. I put a large chunk into Exchange Traded Funds...so instead of a mutual fund, I track an index, and I get dividends....Good old Scottrade at $7.00 a trade is great as well.

Today, I got an e-mail that another stock I have held for two years is splitting 3 for 2 and going x-div, at $1 a share...last year it went x-div at $3 a share...very nice since I was holding a few thousand...

It's Citybank, not Citigroup...symbol ctbk....I bought in around $30 a share...

So...like all my investments, unless I have a powerful reason to get rid of them, right now, I sit back and watch them.....and reinvest the dividends...

Toyota is by far the star performer in the last two years, though. Even buying above $100 I believe is a good buy and hold...

Just MHO....So far, in the two years since I retired, my portfolio is up 42% from the initial roll-over...I'd have been happy with less! But I'm not going to complain.

Go TOYOTA!!

16. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I bought 20 shares at $63.25 in Sept. 04, a little before I bought my Prius. It has done very well, though I wish I had bought more.

17. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerry P @ Nov 9 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]346634[/snapback]</div>
    Great!! That's 20 shares more than many people bought...or, rather, didn't buy!!

terri