1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Swallows up Primearth EV Energy Co.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drash, Mar 6, 2024.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TMC Strengthens Battery Production Capabilities | Corporate | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website
    Primearth EV Energy Co., Ltd. (PEVE) is scheduled to become a wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota to boost mass production competitiveness. This company produces hybrid batteries along with Panasonic, which owns 19.5% of PEVE (down from an initial ownership of 60% when the co-company was created). With the acquisition expected to be finalized by the end of March, PEVE will expand its portfolio to include batteries for PHEVs and BEVs.

The other Panasonic co-owned company (49%) with Toyota is Prime Planet Energy & Solutions (PPES) and is a main supplier of Toyota's PHEV and BEV batteries.

I believe this may signal a way for the company to switch their main PHEV and BEV battery production for currently mass produced BEVs and PHEVs, from PPES to free up lines for future improved battery production. Probably also helps with reconfiguring lines for R&D battery chemistries without interfering with the main production. Could be Toyota has learned their lesson from the CATL produced debacle of 10 and 20 kW DCFC rates on 2023 bZ4X AWD and Subaru Solterra. I don't believe this will interfere with the current CATL and LG battery agreements.

A name change for PEVE is under consideration after acquisition is completed. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Tideland Prius and Isaac Zachary like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, did Toyota just pass gas?

Bob Wilson

john1701a and hill like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  4. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How is that odd?Jaguar/Landrover is a niche luxury market and it doesnt make sense to be compared with Toyota. If ever it should be compared with Jaguars parent company Tata which has partly similar challenges regarding EVs as a lot of potentially buyers just dont have access to charging infrastructure.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a distortion of choices. Toyota decision trying to avoid premature lock-in already has hints of being a wise choice already. Look at the mess Tesla got itself into with 4680.

AndersOne likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Nevertheless the tata company has at least ½ dozen all electric models - not even including their luxury / Jaguar line.
    As for that issue of lack of charging infrastructure, yes I suppose there are some areas that don't even have Dyno juice infrastructure but that's not relevant to the issue at hand. No one's going to sell electric cars in areas where there is no infrastructure.

Not sure how 4680 battery production represenst premature lock-in. Doesn't Tesla use other cells as well as 4680? meaning they are not locked in? ..... much less prematurely locked in?
    Being a fan of toyota's 'Slow/tortoise / way, it's surprising you don't appreciate the slow ramp up of 4680.
    Tesla 4680 Battery Production Is Trapped In Production Hell - CleanTechnica

.... and does Toyota really want to be in the uncomfortable position of making excuses like, "what about Tesla"?
    ;)

#6 hill, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Zythryn likes this.
  7. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is just another layer of security for their production.
    Don't forget they now have a battery production plant in the USA - North Carolina
    Toyota Supercharges North Carolina Battery Plant with New $8 Billion Investment - Toyota USA Newsroom

Why is Toyota Partnering with Panasonic to Make EV Batteries? - Counterpoint (counterpointresearch.com)

Toyota to mass produce a wide range of EV batteries (electrek.co)

Toyota teams with China's CATL and BYD to power electric ambitions - Nikkei Asia

Toyota has some pretty smart cookies who work there that are thinking decades ahead not just years.

Probably have better insight to where they are going and what they want to do compared to us.

Toyota Sales And Production Hit Record Levels As Hybrid Demand Boosts Profits | Carscoops

#7 John321, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    drash and austingreen like this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They definitely are not locked into any form factor. I just traded my 5 1/2 yo model 3 for a model Y made less than 10 miles from home. If 4680 was getting produced in large quantities it would have them, but it has 2170 cells. Cybertruck is much lower volume so its getting the 4680s. If a different form factor is better tesla will likely change. My guess is 4680 is cheaper for tesla to produce once they get into high volume.

I mean poor tesla had an arsonist hit its german factory and electricity for the surounding area.
    Far-left ‘Volcano Group’ claims responsibility for Tesla Gigafactory fire - The Verge

DavidA likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You got to love the irony of setting fires to end global warming

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't fix stupid.

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Except that battery plant in NC hasn't produced a single battery. Approved by the state, yes. Started, yes. Production maybe 2025 but didn't I read it just slipped from their initial target.

hill likes this.