1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota teases all-new RAV4 ahead of L.A. Auto Show debut

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Rav should not be based on Camry but I am sure it will be using same hybrid system as Camry, just like it uses right now same engines that go into Camry.

So it will have 2.5l AR-FXE engine with 200hp total system output. Probably wont get D4S direct injection system like RWD applications will.

Since it is an raised SUV, i suspect it should get worse mpg than Camry on the EPA, unless something else changes. But it will have worse Cd plus more material hitting the air.

Unlike with IS300h, Toyota Europe didnt brag about this one so we have no clue about MPG. And quite possibly hybrid version might not get unveiled here but in Europe.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2013 RAV4 Debut in LA Next Week - CleanMPG Forums

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

HSD is 100% in, at least for Europe, and I dont see why not in the USA too as they keep saying they will introduce 21 hybrid models until 2015.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Highlander hybrid isn't a big seller here. If the new, larger Rav4 won't perform markably better in fuel economy or in price, Toyota may feel it isn't worth offering. Ford dropped the Escape hybrid because they felt most of its sales would go to the C-max. Toyota probably feels the same in regards to the Prius v and any hybrid SUV.

These wagons provide everything most people are looking for in a SUV. There's a lack of AWD, but isn't do to a lack of capability on the hybrid system. For the segment of buyers that want a SUV for truck like towing and hauling, HSD and Ford's system doesn't cut it. At least with a larger, thirstier engine, and apparently AWD, doesn't cut it. So both companies are likely waiting to see what comes of their cooperative for for truck hybrids first. Also wouldn't rule out not introducing new SUV hybrids being part of the partnership agreement.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We need Hybrid SUV's and Hybrid Minivans. A Hybrid Sienna would be damn nice :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hate to be a broken record, but I just want a better riding hybrid hatch or wagon, without paying $40K or more for a Lexus or the RAV4 EV (whose batteries I don't really trust yet).

8. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am going to miss the V6, it makes the RAV4 so much fun (hope mine will last forever). That said, A hybrid RAV4 would be amazing, I absolutely hate using the brakes now when I drive my RAV4, damn Prius has spoiled me.

WE0H likes this.
  9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like our 2006 Rav4 although the fuel economy is terrible. I could really use one for work but I drive 100-180miles a day and can't afford 23mpg tanks. If they come out with a hybrid version that gets into the 38+mpg combined range and costs <$35K I would trade my Prius in for it!

fotomoto and sdtundra like this.
  10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    me too, if it rides better than my prius...but let's aim for 40 mpg!

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have V6 RAV4 too, but I drive it like a maniac. The power is addictive. Prius is much safer for me.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed that we really need a hybrid minivan.
    Which engine? IIRC, the Rav4 did pretty well in CR's mileage test. I think it was amongst the best of non-hybrid small SUVs.

13. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can get 28mpg out of my V6, but right now average 24mpg while still enjoying the power and AWD.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My girlfriend drives it. She drives fast and brakes hard at the last second so you can imagine what the fuel economy is like. She averages 22mpg by hand calculation. It's a 4cyl 4wd. It drinks oil like crazy too!

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On a related note, I keep getting promotional emails for the Rav4 EV. I wonder if the interest in that car is facing the same sticker shock or battery skepticism barriers that the PIP seems to have run into. Dianne may have to rethink her reluctance to sell it to non-California residents.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to get a 4WD-i vehicle. The HiHy is a bit pricey (Cdn$44k-$51k) and too big for me. A RAV4 Hybrid 4WD-i or, if the rumours are true, a Gen 4 Prius w/ 4WD-i would be nice. The Prius gets around ok right now with winter tyres but having the ability to get through the deeper stuff would help as my work is "essential services" so if I'm on shift, I have to get to work regardless of the conditions. The roads are graded (like a ski hill) but parking lots aren't and those of you who live in climates that don't fluctuate around the freezing mark in the winter know that the snow becomes a "mocha frappuccino" and is this clumpy soft stuff.

F8L likes this.
  17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now im getting excited at the prospect of a hybrid model. We just made a 5hr trip up north in my GenIII and my girlfriend s back is shot. :( I'm sure the Rav4 would have bettet seats.

18. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid Rav4 isn't happening. Apparently they couldn't get the cost within reason. Still, I'm hearing up into the mid 30s for fuel economy.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did you get that info? I can't seem to find much beyond the teaser video and really old speculation from motortrend.

The key would be achieving at least 30mpg combined. I don't see that as possible without a hybrid drivetrain. Ford was able to make the Escape hybrid affordable so why couldn't Toyota? With the Camry system readily available it seems like a slam dunk. Anything less just isn't going to be competitive with the Escape, Santa Fe or CX5

WE0H likes this.
  20. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's too bad, because I think it would hit the sweet spot between the HiHy and the Prius v. As a matter of fact we have a regular Highlander and I was hoping that Toyota would come out with a Rav 4 Hybrid by the time we are ready to buy again. It just seems like there would be a market for a small hydrid SUV.