1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Tech or local mechanic?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by momstoys, Dec 28, 2006.

1. momstoys

momstoys New Member

Low on gas, I pulled into the service station. :( Only to find out the gas cap cover would not open no matter how hard or how many times I pulled on the lever by the front seat! Out of desperaton, I borrowed a screwdriver to force it open. It has been a bit sticky in the past but never refused to open. I always had to push in-down on the left side to get it to open completely. Is this something I have to take to a Toyota tech or is there some sort of linkage thing (sorry I don't speak mechanic) that a local mechanic could adjust, fix, or replace? It's an 05 with 18,000 miles on it.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momstoys @ Dec 28 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]367851[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about the linkage, but be sure you didn't damage the gas cap itself; from what I've read the Prius is *extremely* sensitive to any problems with this part. I'd strongly consider replacing it!

3. klevitsky

klevitsky Junior Member

It seems like you'd have to pay the local mechanic to fix this problem for you or have it fixed free of charge at the Toyota dealership (since it should still be under warranty). Or did you happen to damage the fuel door so much with the screw driver that they are going to cry foul and make you pay for the repairs anyway? Hope that's not the case.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Since you are still covered under the bumper-bumper warranty, why pay someone else to fix it?
    Either the cable is sticking/broken, or the latch on the fuel door is bent out of shape.

We assume you are talking about the fuel door, and not the gas cap. The cap is the thing you turn to remove, so that the part where the filler nozzle goes into is exposed. The cap needs to seal the tank to prevent fuel vapors from escaping.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Warranty or not, this is the sort of thing I would mention when I got my car serviced. It should be fixed under warranty. And I'd want a record of every time I complained about it so that if the problem continued after it was out of warranty there would be a record that it was a chronic problem before the warranty expired.

My vote is the Toyota Service dept.

6. momstoys

momstoys New Member

It was the door, and my bad luck I had waited to have a problem until I was pretty much on empty. I was hoping this would be something simple so I didn't have to make that 110 mile drive to a Toyota service center, That's about the closest and I really don't care for that dealership. :(

7. klevitsky

klevitsky Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momstoys @ Dec 28 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]367978[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhh... the distance to the dealership is your concern, I understand now. I would also like to hear the consensus on this: eventhough this should be a simple mechanical problem (not at all involving the Prius' computers), would a regular mechanic be comfortable enough with a hybrid in this day and age to do the job properly and not mess anything else up?

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momstoys @ Dec 28 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]367978[/snapback]</div>
    Does the locking pin of the fuel door retract when you pull up the release lever? If so, the problem may lie in the spring that pushes the door open when the pin is pulled in from the latch. It is easy to fix.

9. dmulvany

dmulvany New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 29 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]368443[/snapback]</div>

I had a problem with my gas cap door not opening. Turns out the spring had fallen out. It was replaced by the dealership under warranty. Maybe the spring could be sent to you so you don't have to make such a long trip to the dealership.

Dana

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's a normal cable-operated system. should be perfectly repairable by a non-dealer tech.