1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

toyota technician says a prius does not have tranny fluid only differential fluid?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yotaman, Apr 30, 2012.

1. yotaman

yotaman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    unbeleivable-i just got to the toyota dealership to get my tranny fluid changed, and they tell me that there is no tranny fluid in a prius. Only differential fluid. The service manual states to check tranny fluid @ a certain frequency...

2. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've heard them use the term "Transaxle", which I believe would be a type of differential. Since the PSD is a planetary system. Make sense? I would tell them to just change the D*% fluid!

1 person likes this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No matter what you call it the fluid you use is ATF-WS. The ATF normally stands for automatic transmission fluid.

What is different about the Prius is that the transaxle contains electric motors so the fluid has to be compatible with the electric motor insulation.

1 person likes this.
  4. yotaman

yotaman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    im just gonna get the recalls done here and get the fluid changed somewhere else. Or just do it myself...

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Transaxle = combined differential and transmission + some more parts. Nearly all front wheel drive cars and some advanced rear wheel drive cars have transaxles.

It's not a good idea to have the that shop simian change transmission fluid.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No matter who does the fluid change be sure to use only the Toyota ATF-WS to ensure compatibility with the electric motor insulation. Others have mentioned possible "equals" but to me the transaxle is just too expensive to take chances.

I changed mine myself. If you can change oil you can change the transaxle fluid. Search on here for a thread about changing out this transaxle fluid.

1 person likes this.
  7. yotaman

yotaman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you are exactly right xs....while i was standing there wondering WHY they are debating with me about changing the fluid....it hit me- hey they have never done it before, and for some reason don't want to charge me the 177.00 they quoted me over the phone...hmmmmm, something not right here.:confused:

Then, I got into a lengthy conversation with the tech, and he said he would look it up....and he did. There is a Toyota TSB that says to INSPECT the fluid at 100k, but not to replace it. Anyway, I just want the stuff changed because it will make me feel better...so i will do it myself.

By the way, my water pump needs replacing, coolant coming out of weephole...that looks to be a pretty easy job as well...

update-at a toyota dealership in virginia picking up water pump, and i ask them - by the way, how much 2 drain and fill trans fluid? They said 96.00 and we can do it now if you like...

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow were expanding this fluid compatibility malarkey to the new cars now too.

There is nothing in WS trans fluid that makes it compatible with motor windings. Its is low viscosity ATF plain and simple.
    The motor windings are very tough and have no problems with any brand of fluid.
    If you disagree please show me documentation of any kind thats states otherwise.
    My documentation is hundreds of Prius Gen II owners using all kinds of different trans fluid without any problems including myself.

1 person likes this.